Updates to Application - More volunteering and research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phenomenal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Since at time of "update" you will still have zero experience in research and zero in volunteering, just exactly how is this going to help?

I would still be able to put it as in progress and say how many hours per week and explain how long i'll be doing it for/what the position includes in the description of the experience. At least they would know that I'm actively involved still and taking part in a research rotation lol so this would definitely help.
My question is how do i go about updating them?
If you say so.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you say so.
My advisors were the ones who suggested adding them. No need to comment if you are just going to be rude without providing any helpful advice regarding my question.

Reactions: 1 users
Take note of the following:

I’ve begun my experience, but plan on accumulating more hours before dental school begins. Can I include those?

In the experience sections, you may only document (in hours/weeks, etc.) the time already completed. Once you submit your application, you may not update your hours. However, in the text box under “duties,” you may clarify your expected time commitment, and send any updates directly to the schools to which you are applying.

I haven’t begun my experience yet, but plan on doing so soon. Can I report that?

No, you cannot report “planned” experience. Once you have accumulated the experience, however, you can add new experiences to your application, even if you have already submitted it. Please note you cannot edit experiences which have already been entered. You may send updated information directly to the schools to which you are applying.

Supporting Information

Add the activity once you've started through AADSAS to update your app and you can email schools notifying them that you've updated your app. If you were to pick one, update through AADSAS because schools pull your app from there and will be notified on their side when updates are made.

While some schools may appreciate you taking on new activities, I would not think that it'll have a strong impact on your application because if you report it shortly after starting, you're writing about what you anticipate to do but what actually happens may be completely different.

Reactions: 1 user
Take note of the following:

I’ve begun my experience, but plan on accumulating more hours before dental school begins. Can I include those?

In the experience sections, you may only document (in hours/weeks, etc.) the time already completed. Once you submit your application, you may not update your hours. However, in the text box under “duties,” you may clarify your expected time commitment, and send any updates directly to the schools to which you are applying.

I haven’t begun my experience yet, but plan on doing so soon. Can I report that?

No, you cannot report “planned” experience. Once you have accumulated the experience, however, you can add new experiences to your application, even if you have already submitted it. Please note you cannot edit experiences which have already been entered. You may send updated information directly to the schools to which you are applying.

Supporting Information

Add the activity once you've started through AADSAS to update your app and you can email schools notifying them that you've updated your app. If you were to pick one, update through AADSAS because schools pull your app from there and will be notified on their side when updates are made.

While some schools may appreciate you taking on new activities, I would not think that it'll have a strong impact on your application because if you report it shortly after starting, you're writing about what you anticipate to do but what actually happens may be completely different.

Thank you so much! So do you advise that I accumulate some more hours before reporting it? I plan to begin mid-August for both activities, so maybe I can update my application after about one month after starting to report what I've already done and how much longer I plan to do it for. Do you think that option would be better than updating my application sooner?

Thank you so much! So do you advise that I accumulate some more hours before reporting it? I plan to begin mid-August for both activities, so maybe I can update my application after about one month after starting to report what I've already done and how much longer I plan to do it for. Do you think that option would be better than updating my application sooner?
I think one month after would be a good plan so that you likely have a better idea of what your role is and may have more unique things to add in the description of your experience to that point.

Reactions: 1 user