Updating MCAT Score and secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazybutt26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just got my AMCAS application verified yesterday. I just retook my MCAT as well on June 30th.
The score will not be released until August 1st. Given that my previous MCAT was really bad(I had a bad headache during the exam), I followed some of the advices from here and applied to only one school. My plan was to add all the other schools on August 1st after my retake automatically gets updated

Now, I've got a secondary from one school that I applied for the purpose of verification.
Do schools review the applications when everything is complete? (MCAT score as well as secondary?)

If that is the case, wouldn't it better to apply to all the schools and complete the secondary applications? So by the time I am done with secondary, MCAT will be updated on August 1st and they can start reviewing?

You might say there are schools on my list that might pre-screen. So they won't send out the secondary applications until they review my MCAT?

For the record, my overall GPA is between 3.7-3.8

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I asked a similar question a few days ago and the consensus was that schools have no obligation to wait for your new MCAT score, so if that's what you want them to consider do not send your secondaries until that score is updated.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
The purpose of the this single school verification is to apply to a THROWAWAY school. In other words, a school you wouldnt want to attend or would have no chance of getting into . A school you wouldnt bother sending a secondary to. If you have done something other than that, such as put your a school high on your list, then your have defeated the purpose of a single school verification trick

So one school that I applied to was a throwaway school.
Do you think it's a good idea to apply to schools that have no screening and get the secondary applications ready. I don't have to submit them until MCAT is updated in August but I will just have them written? What do you think???

Members don't see this ad :)
So one school that I applied to was a throwaway school.
Do you think it's a good idea to apply to schools that have no screening and get the secondary applications ready. I don't have to submit them until MCAT is updated in August but I will just have them written? What do you think???

Applying to them before knowing your mcat would still defeat the purpose of getting verified and applying to a throwaway school. What if your mcat comes back and you did poorly but applied to these schools you had high interest in. Then you would still be a applicant wouldn't you? I would just wait- you are verified and your mcat will be done by the end of the month. If you apply to schools then they'll receive the app within one business day. Just prewrite the secondaries but don't actually apply yet- serves no purpose

Applying to them before knowing your mcat would still defeat the purpose of getting verified and applying to a throwaway school. What if your mcat comes back and you did poorly but applied to these schools you had high interest in. Then you would still be a applicant wouldn't you? I would just wait- you are verified and your mcat will be done by the end of the month. If you apply to schools then they'll receive the app within one business day. Just prewrite the secondaries but don't actually apply yet- serves no purpose

How would I pre-write the secondaries without actually applying do you know?
Should I just search here for possible secondary questions? Johns Hopkins just sent me a secondary but they specifically said my application will not be reviewed until I submit the secondary as well. So if this is true, why can't I apply to all the other schools as well and get the secondaries, have them ready, not just submit yet until I can the MCAT back?

How would I pre-write the secondaries without actually applying do you know?
Should I just search here for possible secondary questions? Johns Hopkins just sent me a secondary but they specifically said my application will not be reviewed until I submit the secondary as well. So if this is true, why can't I apply to all the other schools as well and get the secondaries, have them ready, not just submit yet until I can the MCAT back?

look at these threads for the specific schools 2017-2018 Allopathic School Specific Discussions