Updating my CV... question regarding invited talks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LucidSplash

#LimbSalvage
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not specific to surgery I guess, but this is the crowd I trust most. I'm updating my CV. This past year I gave an invited talk at a regional symposium, I received a (small) honorarium. Previously I had listed this under the "Oral Presentations" section of my CV (where I have my conference podium presentations), but someone recently told me it should be under a separate section for "Invited Talks." This makes sense to me, but I hate the title "Invited Talks." What do those of you who have done this use/do?

Members don't see this ad.

I just gave an "Invited Talk" myself today and that's how I would list it on my CV. The term doesn't bother me LOL.

In general, it has always been my assumption that an oral presentation is something that you apply to deliver and are selected as opposed to the invited talk where you are approached and asked to give the information.

So there is a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well sounds like I'm stuck with that term. Thanks everyone!

I have subcategories within "Presentations":
National and regional courses/curricula
National and regional invited lectures (place your talk here)
Symposiums and invited commentary

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Not specific to surgery I guess, but this is the crowd I trust most. I'm updating my CV. This past year I gave an invited talk at a regional symposium, I received a (small) honorarium. Previously I had listed this under the "Oral Presentations" section of my CV (where I have my conference podium presentations), but someone recently told me it should be under a separate section for "Invited Talks." This makes sense to me, but I hate the title "Invited Talks." What do those of you who have done this use/do?
#humblebrag

#humblebrag

Truthfully not. It's a regional trauma symposium targeted at nurses and Paramedics and such, run by my bosses, and they started this year soliciting residents to give interesting case talks. They paid me $100. Not really impressive and wasn't meant as a brag, just a real question.

Reactions: 2 users
Truthfully not. It's a regional trauma symposium targeted at nurses and Paramedics and such, run by my bosses, and they started this year soliciting residents to give interesting case talks. They paid me $100. Not really impressive and wasn't meant as a brag, just a real question.
I was just messing with you

Reactions: 1 user
I have a new CV question: is there anywhere to put things that were submitted and accepted but then declined for presentation? I'm guessing not but I'm getting ready to apply for jobs and my CV makes it look like I've been inactive in research this year but I haven't. I submitted a couple abstracts that were ultimately accepted for posters, but my chair auto declines anything that isn't a podium presentation. I have other stuff in the works but nothing submitted at this time. I can explain this to potential groups/employers of course, but just wondering if there's something for the CV.

You can list something as an abstract IIRC. A bigger question is why is your chair auto-declining posters?

I thought "Abstracts" as a heading was for submitted work you hadn't heard back on yet. Not sure what to do with submitted stuff that was accepted and declined by the submitter.

In Chair's opinion its not worth it to have a poster. He'd rather reserve the right to submit to it somewhere else for a podium presentation. All our submissions are handled by the office staff and that's what the policy is. (Shrug)

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted papers you haven't heard back on yet either 1) doesn't go on your CV or 2) if you're a medical student or really lacking from a research resume perspective you put it on there as a "submitted" paper. Your CV definitely does not need to know about abstracts that you've submitted that you haven't heard back on yet. Just my 2 cents.

Submitted papers you haven't heard back on yet either 1) doesn't go on your CV or 2) if you're a medical student or really lacking from a research resume perspective you put it on there as a "submitted" paper. Your CV definitely does not need to know about abstracts that you've submitted that you haven't heard back on yet. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed, I don't actually have an abstract section at this time. I'm not trying to pad my resume, just trying to figure out how to explain a gap of research without explaining it.

I have a new CV question: is there anywhere to put things that were submitted and accepted but then declined for presentation? I'm guessing not but I'm getting ready to apply for jobs and my CV makes it look like I've been inactive in research this year but I haven't. I submitted a couple abstracts that were ultimately accepted for posters, but my chair auto declines anything that isn't a podium presentation. I have other stuff in the works but nothing submitted at this time. I can explain this to potential groups/employers of course, but just wondering if there's something for the CV.

If you're applying for academic jobs, then let your chair make a few phone calls and you'll get the job that way.

Nonacademic job? Nobody cares about your research.

If you're applying for academic jobs, then let your chair make a few phone calls and you'll get the job that way.

Nonacademic job? Nobody cares about your research.

Yes these are for people already connected to by academic contacts and asked me to forward my CV.

Yes I am overthinking/obsessing over a small detail.

Yes I am being neurotic.

Lol I think the idea of a real doctor job is finally hitting me.

Reactions: 3 users