Updating schools post-app submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2nem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of the schools I applied to did not have an area in their supplemental to update AMCAS changes or add new employment, etc. I feel not having any paid employment may have hurt me last cycle and since after primary submission, I have been working as a gymnastics coach. I've also received a paid assistantship as a teacher for undergrad labs while I work towards a masters starting this fall. What's the best way to let schools know this? Or should I just hope to get an interview and bring it up there? That kinda sucks because I'm sure that would help getting an interview in the first place. Thanks for any help guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools specifically state that they do not accept updates prior to interview. Paid employment is probably not worth an update even to the places that accept them, sorry.

I was not yet accepted into the masters program when I filed AMCAS, would this make an update worth it? And if the schools do accept them, when would be the most effective time to send them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools wont accept update letters until after interview. If you arent selected for an interview, chances are that small update probably wouldn't have changed anything. Unless you win a Nobel Prize or something, it'd be better to send an update/love letter after interviewing.

I was not yet accepted into the masters program when I filed AMCAS, would this make an update worth it? And if the schools do accept them, when would be the most effective time to send them?

The Master's program may actually hurt you. Some schools won't let you matriculate until you finish your terminal degree so if you start a Master's they'll only want you to apply in your final year.

I know this because I am currently a Master's student and I am in my second year and multiple schools (ECU, EVMS, Wake Forest, George Washington) have asked for letters from my PI or the head of my department verifying that I was in the last year of my Master's and would finish before the Fall of 2014. If I don't finish then I won't be allowed to matriculate at these schools. I have called every single school on my list to find out their policy and probably only 4 or 5 would allow me to matriculate without finishing the degree.

Just food for thought because if they find out you're in a MS program (which they will with a background check) you could potentially be sacrificing an acceptance.

Unless it's a one year Master's without a thesis, then you're fine lol.

Yes, I chose the non-thesis option. Thanks for the help! I guess I'll keep working on the Nobel prize.

Yes, I chose the non-thesis option. Thanks for the help! I guess I'll keep working on the Nobel prize.

Make sure you can get it done within the year or otherwise you're f***ed!

Have fun.