upenn exams

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by jackofhearts, Apr 7, 2004.

1. jackofhearts

jackofhearts New Member

what is the exam schedule like at upenn? (how often, how many per course or module, quizzes?)

also, what happens if an exam is failed? is a retest offered? repeat the course?

do students study together? is it a relaxed or competitive atmosphere?

should exams even be a factor when looking at med schools?

just wondering...

2. jackofhearts

jackofhearts New Member

any penn students out there?

thanks for the help in advance...

3. doof

doof Member
    10+ Year Member

hey. the first semester of your first year, you're taking more than one course at a time (e.g. anatomy, biochem, etc), so there may be times when you're taking 2 or 3 exams in the space of a week. (remember, p/f this semester). once you get past that, it's all organ system blocks, and you'll have an exam on avg once a month. i think it's a reasonable exam schedule. if you happen to fail and exam, i think it's pretty easy to make it up...at the (i think) course director's prerogative, you usually do a make-up assignment or take another exam. i've never heard of anyone retaking a course. i think the atmosphere at penn is pretty laid back, and in my experience, classmates are pretty supportive and almost always ready to help each other out. finally, to answer your question, i don't think exam schedule should be a huge factor in deciding where to go...unless it's something extreme (like michigan's weekly quizzes - which can be good or bad depending on how you like to study). good luck with your decision! i've never regretted my decision to come to penn, and would be happy to answer any other questions (i'm not on often, so it may take a while for me to reply!).

4. doc05

doc05 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

relax already. penn is a freaking awesome school and everyone matches at a top-notch residency program. the exams don't matter so much.