UPenn--Temple facilities????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Stomatologist

Hello everyone,

For those who have interviewed in both schools; how do you compare their clinical facilities. Isn't it curious that although UPenn has one of the best reputations in the country their equipment is not that modern? Is this lack of funding?

During the interview one of the dental students mentioned the new Robert-Schattner complex being build, they also mentioned that is being under construction for the last three years. Is this true? When will it be ready? I hope the new complex will bring new equipment to this great school.

Temple facilities really impressed me, their patient pool seems stable, and their clinical training really promotes the school. In general, there are many attracting things about Temple but they don't hold the reputation that UPenn does.

So, which is the way to go?

Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

stomatologist,

I agree, Penn's facilities are not up to par w/the schools' rep...however, the new $47 mill facility next door will finally open up next spring. It was supposed to have opened up this past summer, but for some quirks which I've forgotten was delayed....so, the facility question won't really be an issue soon. Plus, even as it stands it's really not all that bad, and still better than some schools. As for money, Penn seems to be loaded with it! I mean come on, they're the only school I've heard of which gives EVERY student a check in the spring that's equivalent to the interest accrued on your loans for that year! Plus, if they didn't have the money they wouldn't be able to afford probably the best merit-based scholarship deal in the country amongst the private schools, their 1/2 off tuition Dean's Merit scholarship....

That issue also perplexed me for awhile. Penn has a great program, but the facilities were really old. You spend the first 2 years in the basement. However, they're number 1 in getting people into specialty programs, so they must be doing something right. I don't know if it is the lack of funding. They seem to get a lot. They ranked #2 in NIH funding for 2000. Like what waiting said, they are going to set up a new addition where all the speciality programs will be moved to. The DMD students will then get those additional chairs. I think they are one of the few (if not only)schools that has a virtual reality simulation system. That's pretty high tech. They also had one of the biggest libraries I've seen.

It's going to be difficult choosing schools because each has positives and negatives.