UPenn/UChicago

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by uiuckid, May 1, 2001.

1. uiuckid

uiuckid Junior Member

Hi all-
    I am trying to pick between UChicago (Pritzker) and UPenn for next year. Anyone have any insights on those schools? Dealing with a similar dillema? Any and all advice is welcome.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Rza

Rza Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Uhhh... This seems like a no-brainer. UPenn! Much better rep, better research, better hospital. What do you think Pritzker has to offer over UPenn?

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    From a reputation standpoint, there is no comparison: Penn is much more prestigious than Pritzker. However, is this important to you? Family,friends and being in a comfortable environment might be more important to some.

If you'll share a little more about what you liked and disliked about each of the programs, we could perhaps offer some more advice.

5. uiuckid

uiuckid Junior Member

I am torn between the school for many reasons. Mainly, I really enjoyed the students at both the schools. UPenn has higher rankings, but Pritzker seems to get better residencies. Pritzker's curriculum is a little more traditional, which I don't like, but UPenn's grading system is a bit more harsh. In any case, I am just tyring to split hairs and solict respnces from all of you that may help me identify those small differences so that I can make the nest decision. Thanks - and keep writing in.

6. axlf1997

axlf1997 Member
    10+ Year Member

I think from a research perspective in the basic sciences, UChicago would have the edge. It depends of course whether this matters to you at all. Not sure what UPenn is like, but UChicago (in general) has a very heavy "intellectual" atmosphere where the mind and research is highly regarded (hence the very traditional curricula). This can be very refreshing for those who enjoy these things, for others they might find it stifling, not enough of a "party" atmosphere (though I found all the students very laid back and happy - perhaps related to pass/fail policy).

7. ec1988

ec1988 New Member

Hi! I chose U of Chicago for next fall ... for so many reasons (not all of which I can list briefly here!) In short: the student body is incredible not only in their diversity of life experience and intelligence but also in their cohesiveness and support of one another. The Pass/Fail system curbs competition and students rave about it. The administration is extremely student-centered - they even have a first-year retreat in the middle of winter quarter to brighten the collective mood of everyone involved. Great location for working with underserved/minority populations - so many opportunities for service. The residencies obtained by Pritzker graduates are incredible - and this is one of the most important factors for comparing schools. Pritzker opens doors. I felt that the quality of life is very high there. Facilities are great. I like the connection with the larger university. The cultural opportunities of Chicago... Again, the Pass/Fail grading system is really a gift from heaven. Let me know if you would like to talk further or if I can help in any way. Take care!

8. uiuckid

uiuckid Junior Member

hey ec -

I woudl definitely like to talk more about U of C - I am still having a tough time picking - e-mail me at:

[email protected]

and I will e-mail you back. thanks.