upenn vs bu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kathrm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys...congrats to ppl who have received acceptance into advanced standing programs and good luck to those who r waiting...
I got acceptance from boston and upenn...i tried to figure out which is better and after considering the pros and cons of each iam kind of confused...
could u guys pls help me decide...please explain y u think either one is better....
thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey congrats on both acceptances.
My friend was in a similar boat like u...and she had posted the same question on sdn...here is the link
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=168300 (she eventually joined Penn and graduated this May)
Finally its upto u to decide(of course u know that!:rolleyes: )
But personally for me..Upenn was the first choice(I declined interview at BU) cuz we start seeing patients in the 1st yr of the program itself whereas at BU.. only in the 2nd yr.And I really liked the program and was very impressed with their community work.
Good luck with ur choice!:thumbup:

hi guys...congrats to ppl who have received acceptance into advanced standing programs and good luck to those who r waiting...
I got acceptance from boston and upenn...i tried to figure out which is better and after considering the pros and cons of each iam kind of confused...
could u guys pls help me decide...please explain y u think either one is better....
thanks...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey congrats on both acceptances.
My friend was in a similar boat like u...and she had posted the same question on sdn...here is the link
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=168300 (she eventually joined Penn and graduated this May)
Finally its upto u to decide(of course u know that! )
But personally for me..Upenn was the first choice(I declined interview at BU) cuz we start seeing patients in the 1st yr of the program itself whereas at BU.. only in the 2nd yr.And I really liked the program and was very impressed with their community work.
Good luck with ur choice!

thanks a lot rtvj...i had a look at this thread and i also found a couple of other threads addressing this...i researched a bit and this is what i found

UPENN
1. 2 yrs clinical experience whereas only 1 in BU
2. PASS students are integrated with 3rd yr DMD students...u will have an opportunity to learn bout their culture and get a hang of working with them which i think will really help us when we start our practice..
3. Lower cost of living than boston
4. 3 to 6 months externship...
BU
1. competency based...so no requirements. If u r competent enuff u can graduate...
2. 10 - 15 thousand less expensive ( but cost of living is high in boston)
3. Shorter program but the graduation date is may for both schools...no big difference here either...infact u get to study 10 weeks more in upenn and graduate on the same month...

I am a single guy so I dont mind moving to boston or philadelphia...

I would really appreciate any additions to this....thankyou

hey if i was in ur place i wouldnt think twice before joining upenn ..come on its ivy league its such a reputed program and i saw somewhere (dont know if its recent) thats its no 2 ranking program after harvard...so wat if u got to pay more than bu once u r thru ul earn as much an can repay in no time ..its upenn all the way buddy!!!!!!

If I were u, I would choose no other than upenn. After all its the dream school for everyone. So what if u have to pay extra, the money u can earn within months. BUT the NAME UPENN Will have an EFFECT THROUGHOUT your life. Beleieve me US is all about schools RANKING !!!!! ISKA TOH NAAAM hi KAAFI hai.

U have done ur research and based on it I guess u already know which school u will be going to...good luck!:thumbup:

thanks a lot rtvj...i had a look at this thread and i also found a couple of other threads addressing this...i researched a bit and this is what i found

UPENN
1. 2 yrs clinical experience whereas only 1 in BU
2. PASS students are integrated with 3rd yr DMD students...u will have an opportunity to learn bout their culture and get a hang of working with them which i think will really help us when we start our practice..
3. Lower cost of living than boston
4. 3 to 6 months externship...
BU
1. competency based...so no requirements. If u r competent enuff u can graduate...
2. 10 - 15 thousand less expensive ( but cost of living is high in boston)
3. Shorter program but the graduation date is may for both schools...no big difference here either...infact u get to study 10 weeks more in upenn and graduate on the same month...

I am a single guy so I dont mind moving to boston or philadelphia...

I would really appreciate any additions to this....thankyou

I am in a similar situation. I paid the initial deposit in penn but they did not deposit the cheques yet. I got an interview call from BU for jan 17th. Should I hold out and wait and see if boston wants me or go with penn. I understand that BU is less intensive program and that we will have more time for family. Will penn refund the deposit for summer program if we decide to go with another school?:confused:

@ Snigdha,
I just happened to speak to a friend who opted for BU instead of USC for the same reason. From my interaction with other applicants this year, it seems that people go for family time or cost benefits more than school ranks. The argument is that you get the same degree to practice anywhere you like. Its kind of synonymous with the difference between a private and govt dental school in India where you get the same degree eventually.
Hence, you wld be alright either ways..to each, his own.

I agree with dentist 29, one should go to a school that suits him interms of family accessibility and financial aspects. Although some schools are more famous than others,but there is no gross difference between programs and at the end of the day you are getting the same thing. There is no offical ranking of schools, its based upon your priorities only.
Good luck

Snigdha..Dental School is going to be stressful wherever u go....more time studying and less time with the family.
Everything depends on how u handle it too..

I have a friend who graduated from Penn. She said the first yr is tough becos u have exams as well as clinicals..but all the exams get over the first yr..so in the second yr its only clinicals and so much easier than the first yr.She is so happy she joined Penn becos it gave her so much exposure to the clinical aspect of dentistry and made her more confident.She even graduated with a couple of awards!!:cool:

I think Penn will not refund the 500$ deposit but dunno abt the $6134 towards the summer program..they havent mentioned that its non-refundable.
U can always call and ask them abt it.But to be on the safer side,do so only when u get an acceptance letter from BU.Good luck!:thumbup:

I am in a similar situation. I paid the initial deposit in penn but they did not deposit the cheques yet. I got an interview call from BU for jan 17th. Should I hold out and wait and see if boston wants me or go with penn. I understand that BU is less intensive program and that we will have more time for family. Will penn refund the deposit for summer program if we decide to go with another school?:confused:

hi snigdha...my point is u r here for clinical training...so y do u wanna settle for a school with a lesser clinical exposure when u have an opportunity to get a better clinical training...iam not saying boston is a bad school...its also a grt school but i find upenn to be better suited to my needs...iam a fresh graduate and i need more clinical training...if so many ppl cud do it and graduate successfully y cant we...goodluck with ur decision....

Hi would you please mind sharing ur stats for people who are in the running ..that will b a great help:) n good luck with ur plans ....prayers for ur best future.

Members don't see this ad :)
thankyou rtvj, hellorose and indian dentist for helping me out...goodluck

thank you dentist 29, rtvj, xerostomia and kathrm. Penn is a dream school for me too. I hope I am making the right decision. GL to everyone

hey guys... we all know Upenn is better... but plz make sure u dun hurt the feelings of all those who wanted to go to Upenn but only got into BU... :) (Like me)...

Just kidding

Gud luck Snigdha, Kathrm and everyone else...

hi happy teeth,

i have met u and i know u will make it high immaterial of where u go...Bu is a grt school and I like it as much as u do...have fun and good luck...hope we meet again sometime....

hi happy teeth,

i have met u and i know u will make it high immaterial of where u go...Bu is a grt school and I like it as much as u do...have fun and good luck...hope we meet again sometime....

HI kathrm,
have u decided upenn or bu????????
just want to know.

hey kathram do let us know of ur final choice if u have made up ur mind

no brightsmile u may be confusing me with someone else.. penn didnt call me for an interview itself...

congrats kathrm... I personally feel u have made a very wise decision.. and i hope it proves to be that way only.. all the best for ur career and future

thank you Dr. ndc

no brightsmile u may be confusing me with someone else.. penn didnt call me for an interview itself...

DR NDC:

it does not make any diff because i am on the wait list at u penn. you know the chances of that.

DR NDC:

it does not make any diff because i am on the wait list at u penn. you know the chances of that.
i m also on waitlist of some schools so i know how it is like... i can only say u now is " hope sustains life" So dont worry, keep ur hopes high and ur smile bright...lol

One hour ago I had the pleasure to hear Mrs Cacas...but unfortunately it is one week too late because I've already sent the money to BU...I hope it will be OK...

One hour ago I had the pleasure to hear Mrs Cacas...but unfortunately it is one week too late because I've already sent the money to BU...I hope it will be OK...

Hi drbcd. Congrats !!!!!sorry that u hav already sent the deposit. It would be a painful decision now. Do let us know about ur final decision.

If i were you i would definately choose Upenn if there is not any other factor except the initial deposit money. As there is no other opinion that Upenn is one of the best schools. A dentist can make $ 3000 in 4 days.

You Decide !

Good luck for your decision.

Ya kal ka dentist u r rite. Even I would leave any college for upenn. It has higher initial job prospects when a person graduates. It was my dream skool. Infact its the same for everyone.
Its part of IV league which makes a university name honorable. Only columbia is the second university to own that honor. But columbia has just 3 IDP seats !:eek:

thanks...

I am Penn PASS student......I love PENN what i can say...I have learned a lot a lottttt here...you have to finish 30 unit crowns/bridge, 100+ fillings....a lot of requirements...I love Penn but of course...it is difficult life here.....anyway my friends and I are done with the requirement earlier so that is not the big deal...I have no work experience in my country...but i still can do it...so do you (if u choose PENN)

Also if u want to do post grad......I think PENN is the best option!.....let me know if u come to PENN...I might be your TA!

@ Snigdha,
I just happened to speak to a friend who opted for BU instead of USC for the same reason. From my interaction with other applicants this year, it seems that people go for family time or cost benefits more than school ranks. The argument is that you get the same degree to practice anywhere you like. Its kind of synonymous with the difference between a private and govt dental school in India where you get the same degree eventually.
Hence, you wld be alright either ways..to each, his own.
Hi, I got 86 in nbd part1 n my GPA is 4.00,toefl 100
So any chance for me to getting admission in any school this year

apply to BU and NYU. you have an excellent chance of getting into either one. you have a very good GPA I think if you put all your SOP and CV nicely you will definitely get an interview and from there its all upto how you present yourself

i dont know bout BU but u will get into NYU for sure...good luck

Hi friends,

Good luck to u all. Have a gr8 time @U Penn

hi all
good luck for all and hope the best for all of u ...
i have the same situation as paddypaw has, and i cant make my decision , actually i'm kind of confused..i got acceptance from UCLA , UCSF and UMN....
i'm almost about to go to ucsf , but each of them are really good schools and each of them has their advantages,so i'd be glad if i can have your opinions too ...
good luck