• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Jul 28, 2020
I've been granted acceptances to both. Both with scholarships that make the COA around the same. Much higher scholarship amount from UPenn. With this said, however, I applied for the HPSP and believe the decisions are coming soon so money shouldn't be a factor either way.

UPenn:

Pros
-Non-competitive atmosphere
-Extremely down to earth interviewer, made me definitely feel at home
-Great curriculum and Philly seems like a really cool place to live
Cons
-8 Hours away from home
-Would have a hard spring academically to fulfill academic requirements

Louisville:

Pros
-Very close to home (1.5 Hours)
-The dentist i shadowed and worked for graduated from here, helped me form relationships with staff at the school
-Also very welcoming environment at school, very nice staff and interviewers
Cons
-Not a big fan of living in Kentucky. However I would know a decent amount of people here due to undergrad.

I plan on visiting the city of Philadelphia soon for a self-guided tour but not fora while due to being an athlete. Any tips on how to make this decision? Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 6, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Both are great schools! I think you should take location and where you want to practice into account. Being near family could have a lot of benefits such as a strong support system! Also, if you want to practice in Kentucky it could help with future connections.

Jul 28, 2020
Both are great schools! I think you should take location and where you want to practice into account. Being near family could have a lot of benefits such as a strong support system! Also, if you want to practice in Kentucky it could help with future connections.
Thank you! I do agree being near family and friends would be beneficial. However, I am from Ohio and don’t necessarily want to practice in Kentucky. Ahhh such a hard decision.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.