UPenn vs. Michigan (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AJ2017025

Reaction score
School 1: University of Pennsylvania

Pros:
  • Ivy League
  • Ability to specialize and networking
  • Sense of community
Cons:
  • COST (SO EXPENSIVE >$500k)
  • General dentistry / clinical experience not as good as Michigan?

School 2: University of Michigan (OOS)

Pros:
  • Ann Arbor is an amazing great location
  • Relatively cheap for OOS public school
Cons:
  • Farther from home than UPenn
  • Long school year, 3 semesters with minimal breaks
  • Competitive environment?

Members don't see this ad.

School 1: University of Pennsylvania

Pros:
  • Ivy League
  • Ability to specialize and networking
  • Sense of community
Cons:
  • COST (SO EXPENSIVE >$500k)
  • General dentistry / clinical experience not as good as Michigan?

School 2: University of Michigan (OOS)

Pros:
  • Ann Arbor is an amazing great location
  • Relatively cheap for OOS public school
Cons:
  • Farther from home than UPenn
  • Long school year, 3 semesters with minimal breaks
  • Competitive environment?
cheapest

Reactions: 1 user
So that would be UMich. You think even tho UPenn is ivy, might be less competitive and only ranks top 10 students still choose Michigan because cheapest? Thanks for your insight!
The school being an Ivy doesn’t really justify the price tag, especially when you have such a great alternate. UMich isn’t an ivy but it’s one of the best dental schools in the country, and combined with it being the cheaper option (by almost 100K I believe), it’s kind of a no brainer.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The school being an Ivy doesn’t really justify the price tag, especially when you have such a great alternate. UMich isn’t an ivy but it’s one of the best dental schools in the country, and combined with it being the cheaper option (by almost 100K I believe), it’s kind of a no brainer.
I really appreciate your advice thank you so much

U of M is a terrible school clinically. Essentially no endo and very little OS these days. All they care about is their research. Pre doc dental students are treated like an after thought. If you plan to specialize it is perfect. If you are interested in general dentistry, run... I keep hearing that it used to be great from past grads, but the current administration is horrible... It is affordable, which is why I am here. But don't expect greatness from Michigan.
-Current D3

Reactions: 1 users
U of M is a terrible school clinically. Essentially no endo and very little OS these days. All they care about is their research. Pre doc dental students are treated like an after thought. If you plan to specialize it is perfect. If you are interested in general dentistry, run... I keep hearing that it used to be great from past grads, but the current administration is horrible... It is affordable, which is why I am here. But don't expect greatness from Michigan.
-Current D3
Messaged you! could I ask some qs?