UPenn waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChickAmok

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the deal with the UPenn waitlist? Is there a tier 1 and tier 2 or just a "top of tier 1" and "waitlist tier 1"? Can anyone clarify? What are your chances for getting off of the various lists? I'm "waitlist tier 1" with no "Penn preview" tab...

Members don't see this ad.

ChickAmok said:
What is the deal with the UPenn waitlist? Is there a tier 1 and tier 2 or just a "top of tier 1" and "waitlist tier 1"? Can anyone clarify? What are your chances for getting off of the various lists? I'm "waitlist tier 1" with no "Penn preview" tab...
I have the same question... did anyone get tier 2?

there seems to be two levels of tier 1, one where it says how "its an exciting time" and another with a more generic msg (which I got).

i dunno.

Members don't see this ad :)
ChickAmok said:

I'm assuming that there are significant diffrences between the waitlists by the very fact that the wording is differentt and that some people have the Penn Preview Tab-

the wording in mine says: "The Committee on Admissions has a very strong interest in your application, and you will be one of the first candidates considered for admission. This is an exciting time and you have many decisions to make. We hope you remain interested in Penn."

I also have the Preview Tab-
anyone else care to weigh in?

hi, same as the OP over here. Just trying to understand Penn waitlist priority. I'm just listed as "waitlist tier 1." I thought there were more tiers than "top tier 1" and "tier 1." What are the chances of someone even getting off of just "tier 1?" In the FAQ, admin said to expect from 12 to 50 people to come off of the waitlist. Are these people usually off of the "top tier 1" batch? Should "tier 1" people stop hoping and just move on?

IndyZX said:
there seems to be two levels of tier 1, one where it says how "its an exciting time" and another with a more generic msg (which I got).

i dunno.

I'm hoping that that a tier 2 exists (I also have been waitlisted tier 1 with the generic message). If in fact, the 2 tiers described in the FAQs are merely two distinctions of tier 1, that is extremely misleading on Penn's part.

my other question is: did anyone who interveiwed get outright rejected? or did they waitlist (in some way) everyone who interviewed?

This is what I know...I called Ms. Sheffler today.

Those who have the "tab" and the note (blah blah "strong interest in you and first considered off the waitlist) will most probably be accepted.

Those with the note but with no tab have less of an edge but are still in the preferred bracket.

Those without the note, i presume, are on the bottom half of the tier 1 waitlist.

I have yet to see anyone designated as Tier 2.

In my opinion, it is important to know how many "top of tier 1" people there are on the waitlist in order to get an idea of the chances of those ppl not on top. Since the FAQ section says that nearly 12-50 may get in, if there are a lot of Tier 1 ppl, then those of us not on top are prolly not getting in.

MK

so there appear to be 3 levels of tier 1 (is there a tier 2 out there??)

Hey guys,

I was waitlisted, with the preview tab and "exciting time" message (assuming top of tier 1 ?). I withdrew today, so there is hope for you guys :)

Treg

Treg said:
Hey guys,

I was waitlisted, with the preview tab and "exciting time" message (assuming top of tier 1 ?). I withdrew today, so there is hope for you guys :)

Treg

Hey Treg!

looks like you have some awesome choices, where are you leaning towards? Good luck on the Wash U merit thing, awesome, awesome school, lemme know if you ever want to know about the city.

Treg said:
Hey guys,

Treg

Hey Treg, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
so it looks like there's a waitlist, but most of the people who can get off of it have been notified.

top of tier 1 = in (especially with the penn preview tab)
tier 1 = unlikely in
tier 2 = out

so if enough of the people with the penn preview tab say no, they'll go to the rest of the top of tier 1, and if enough of them say no, then to tier 1 regular...
just from this message board, i feel like they are at least 12-50 top of tier 1 people out there somewhere. and so hundreds of tier 1 people going for a few spots if any. damn....

---
"fire up the batmobile..."

del

Last edited:
I just feel like they should tell us the truth...ie if there are different levels of tier 1 (obviously there are), why not tell us? The people out there that don't use sdn have no clue (they also have lives!) lol :)

Called the office today and spoke to someone in there.

What you all are saying is true. Those with Preview tabs are "all but in" with the way their waitlist is evaluated. Ill be going to preview after my conversation on the phone. The woman was very VERY encouraging, knew my file off the top of her head by heart and just seemed thrilled to have me call....go figure.

Good luck to you all

lol i love your signature! congrats? (i just don't want to jinx it or anything!)

Hey everyone, I'm in the Penn waitlist club, too! I'm plain old tier 1. Did anyone write a letter of interest to Penn? I sent one last month, and I thought it was strong. Anyway...

yeah, i did write one...id characterize it as semi-strong lol...but i did tell my interviewer like 9 million times that i would love to go to penn...

Sparky Man said:
Hey everyone, I'm in the Penn waitlist club, too! I'm plain old tier 1. Did anyone write a letter of interest to Penn? I sent one last month, and I thought it was strong. Anyway...

I never wrote a letter of interest... but I am starting to think I should! (and kicking myself for not writing one- ) Count me in for the Penn waitlist club. I am going to have to write one tomorrow I guess.

What's with everyone getting into the top tier!!!! UG. I don't believe people had this last year. or did they? someone let me know.

I am curious how many of those accepted sent a letter of intent to matriculate. I though about it, but I just didn't feel certain... Who knows? Maybe these things are only a small factor.

Hey there - just wanted to give a little hope to all of you on the Penn waitlist. I'm a first year at Penn. While I wasn't waitlisted, lots of people I met at Penn Preview were... and now they're in my class (and many are my friends)! (to address a previous post in a diff thread by Neuronix who commented on MSTP waitlistees - my comments refer to MD applicants only).

Expressing interest in the school - especially for those of you who were invited, it seems that attending Penn Preview is worthwhile! For anyone, my guess is that showing Gaye and the rest of the folks that you are interested is important (obviously).

Good luck with the rest of the process! And hopefully you'll come to Preview - it's a great weekend! :D

p.s. to anticipate some questions... I have no idea how deep Penn goes into the various tiers of the waitlist. I can only comment on the experience of people I met at Preview who were waitlisted.

lol but i wasn't blessed with the preview tab! what do you think that means?

Sparky Man said:
I am curious how many of those accepted sent a letter of intent to matriculate. I though about it, but I just didn't feel certain... Who knows? Maybe these things are only a small factor.

I sent a letter of intent at the end of January. With so many factors, though, it's difficult to really predict or know.

Skichic56 said:
I sent a letter of intent at the end of January. With so many factors, though, it's difficult to really predict or know.

I did not send a letter of intent... although I sent some kiss-ass thank you letters but they were genuine and personal to the people who interviewed me. :)