UPenn's Post-Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LetGo of TheEgo

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does someone possibly know the profile of a competitive applicant to UPenn's Post-Bacc program. I cant resist the opportunity to continue coursework in Bioethics or a Masters in Liberal Arts after completing their post-bacc pre-health program. But unlike the med admissions process, the post-bacc process is shady since little is known of the academic achievements of enrolled students. Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

dont bother replying, i just discovered how useful the search function can be. ha.

Ego,

I'll tell you what. TWO of my best friends are in the UPenn postbac program and I've been to visit them atleast 3 times.
They aren't in the Special Sciences program, and instead, are in the postbac program in which you take upper level courses.

In the first place, Philly is a dump. Sorry to say, to all you fans out there, but the city is dirty and other than the UPenn campus, it's not very bumpin. Apt's and living is also quit expensive...anywhere from about $600 (which is rare) to about $1000 (which is the norm), and above, per month for an apt.

The postbac program (in which you take upper level courses) also seems disorganized and there is little support from advisors. From what I've heard, atleast 5 of the people in the program that I know (2 of my friends, and 3 of their friends), they all hate it.
Classes are about $1500 per class and you take them at night...I guess the cost/tuition isn't that bad, but the cost of living is high.

I'd check out some other structured programs. Or if anything, if your GPA isn't TOO low (like....if it's hovering at about a 3.4 or something), maybe just staying in undergrad for an extra year and taking courses would be beneficial. If anything, an MS would be helpful too (hell...you can probably get an assistanship, research experience, a TA position, tuition paid, and get some money at it all at the same time!).

For sure, you can get into the Penn program. One of my friend's had a 2.9 science and a 3.2 cum, with a 26 MCAT, and he got it. They are not very selective, and I'm pretty sure about that.

But, I'd advise against it because of the experiences of my friends. I'll give you their emails if you want em. Just PM me.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a current post-bacc pre-med student at Penn. FYI, the post-bacc program in which you take upper-level courses IS the Special Sciences program.

I'm just taking the pre-reqs right now, and I'm extremely happy with the program. This I will tell you however - a lot of people in the program this year are huge gunners, extremely whiny, and basically b*tch about everything (example in Gen Bio - "Why are the questions on the exams so DETAILED??? duh). I'm part-time, so I'm hoping this isn't the trend. :)

In comparison to the cost of living in other large east coast cities like Boston or NYC where studio apts. easily go for $1500+, the cost of living in Philly is actually really reasonable (you could get a decent studio in a good neighborhood like Old City for around $700-$800 if you shop around, cheaper in areas like Manayunk). Plus, there are a lot of really nice neighborhoods excluding West Philly and North Philly - the city as a whole is FAR from being a "dump".

If you have any questions about the program feel free to PM me. Good luck!

Toots,

are you in currently in physics 102 with Arrison? If you are, see you in class!!

Lub,

No, I'm not in physics, I'm only in Bio 102 on Saturdays right now b/c I work full-time. How is physics? I'm taking it in the fall and I've heard some not-so-great things about the prof.

Toots,

Take it with Arrison, he's awesome. You will really learn the material. His exams are tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it they're not bad at all. He makes sure you undertand physics, that is, his exam questions are unlike problems from the book or problems discussed in class -- they really test your application of physics :)

Great professor, I failed one exam "F", still got an A in the class, and you'll really know your physics. Physics is a really tough subject to teach, but Arrison makes it really easy.

ok i gotta go study for my physics exam on Wed

~Lubdubb

Originally posted by The Philosopher

In the first place, Philly is a dump. Sorry to say, to all you fans out there, but the city is dirty and other than the UPenn campus, it's not very bumpin. Apt's and living is also quit expensive...anywhere from about $600 (which is rare) to about $1000 (which is the norm), and above, per month for an apt.

Must be some pretty damn nice places your friends are staying at for that kind of money. And your friends are in the minority for night classes, but thanks anyway.
Ego, I live in the Rittenhouse area of Center City (the nicest part of center city), as do most of my classmates. All but one or two people pay somewhere between $525-800. $650 is more the normal although I am paying less than that and still have a huge place and live in a great area.
Not too sure about Philly being a dump either or I wouldn't have stayed from undergrad for four more years of med school.

Originally posted by Bonds756
Must be some pretty damn nice places your friends are staying at for that kind of money. And your friends are in the minority for night classes, but thanks anyway.
Ego, I live in the Rittenhouse area of Center City (the nicest part of center city), as do most of my classmates. All but one or two people pay somewhere between $525-800. $650 is more the normal although I am paying less than that and still have a huge place and live in a great area.
Not too sure about Philly being a dump either or I wouldn't have stayed from undergrad for four more years of med school.

How do you usually get down to school everyday? Walking or the subway? Do you know people that drive in?

Not a whole lot of people drive in everyday since it isn't the easiest thing to find parking. Of the people that live in center city (about 20% live in West Philly), it is pretty split about walking/biking (its only about 14-16 blocks for most everybody) and public transportation (either SEPTA or a few of the apartment complexes have their own shuttles that take you right to Penn's campus).
Getting home is easier since those same shuttles, subways and buses are still there, plus Penn has free shuttles and buses after 5pm.

lubdubb, i just pm'ed you.

Unfortunately, a lot of what people have said about the Penn post-bacc program is true: the advising isn't great, the city can be an expensive dump and post-bacc classes are at night. That being said, the program took a gamble on me and gave me the opportunity to prove myself in the sciences and I'm in med school right now, loving it.

If you have the fortitude and discipline to make it through (as is true with any post-bacc program, cause the attrition rates are pretty high), then the program will do what it's supposed to, get you into med school.

If you have specific questions, please feel free to post or PM me.