UPitt - contributing to diversity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wrigleygirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, i really have nothing unique to put for upitt secondary question about aspects of my life that would contribute to their goal of recruiting a diverse student body. i feel like leaving it blank would be better than bs-ing. anyone else leave it blank?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you from a rural or underserved area? Have you traveled a lot? any unique volunteer or research experiences? anything that makes you stand out? i dunno if i would leave it blank.......

Nikki2002 said:
Are you from a rural or underserved area? Have you traveled a lot? any unique volunteer or research experiences? anything that makes you stand out? i dunno if i would leave it blank.......

How about your family origins? Do you have a relative who lived abroad and has shared some customs with you? That's what I wrote about.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, guys. those are great suggestions, but i feel like i have nothing substantial to contribute from any of them - i'm from a mid-size city, never studied abroad, no really cool volunteer experiences. i feel like i'm stuck :( the only thing that comes to mind is that i went to a catholic grade school and then was the only person from my class to go to my public high school. i could reflect some on that, but many people think bringing religion into it unnecessarily is a bad idea.

was your major/minor in something besides the sciences? did you have any jobs that allowed to interact with lots of people (maybe people from other cultures?)

wrigleygirl said:
ok, i really have nothing unique to put for upitt secondary question about aspects of my life that would contribute to their goal of recruiting a diverse student body. i feel like leaving it blank would be better than bs-ing. anyone else leave it blank?

you cannot be exactly like every other person in the world. there is a least one trait/experience that makes you unique. write about it.

Nikki2002 said:
was your major/minor in something besides the sciences? did you have any jobs that allowed to interact with lots of people (maybe people from other cultures?)

actually yes... i was a psych/international studies double major. i had tossed around the idea - now i may go with it. thanks nikki!

wrigleygirl said:
actually yes... i was a psych/international studies double major. i had tossed around the idea - now i may go with it. thanks nikki!

WELL THERE YA GO!! That's definitely what you should write about--that contributes to diversity big time!!!!

I was going to leave this blank too, till I realized what it meant. I think the word 'diversity' makes it confusing- makes you think in terms of ethnicity. They're really just looking for what makes you unique or special.