UPitt Dean's Merit Scholarship - who's waiting??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just want to dispell the myth that people who got this scholarship at Pitt are hard core gunners. The truth is that some of them are but many aren't. I know for a fact that we have some 35 MCAT recipients in our class which is to say that to presume everyone who got one would poke you in the eye with a fork to get an extra point on the MCAT or their GPA is simply off. In our class at least it came down to serious commitment to research demonstrating independent thought. That sixth authorship paper you might have for washing glassware isn't what is going to get you this scholarship. Many of the scholarship recipients seem to be more relaxed about studying/acing exams because they are focusing on their research goals or just having a good time. I think you will be surprised when you get to Pitt and find out who is getting funded.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, well, with all this debate, I guess we'll know soon enough... another week I'm guessing... *sigh*

congrats duka!! did they call, email, or snail mail? see you at pitt next year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, duka, congrats!!!!

Congrats, Duka

I found out unofficially that I did not get one. U. of Miami MD/PhD is looking pretty good right about now...

theprizefighter

How are you guys finding all this stuff out? prizefighter? I figure duka got a call. Congrats man! :)

I called the office a few hours ago, and they said that the letters were sent out today. But they said that no one was getting any phone calls.... however, I figure that was just a lie.... Evil admissions people :)

quideam said:
I called the office a few hours ago, and they said that the letters were sent out today. But they said that no one was getting any phone calls.... however, I figure that was just a lie.... Evil admissions people :)

Yeah, a letter would be official. This "unofficial" business is curious, though.

so...did you get one?

bump, also, if you heard today, where do you live?

I live in Pitt and have heard nothing.

The woman at the admissions office said that letters were sent to everyone who applied. So... we wait :)

hmm...i guess they sent the ones out to the winners earlier. well in any case, we should hear by 5/1. or at least that was the plan...

Hi, All

Got my rejection letter today. Dated 04/27/04. Turns out there were 101 applications for 12 scholarships with the competition described in the letter as being "incredibly stiff". Hope this helps.

tpf

So I got my FA package emailed to me this afternoon... I guess that means I didn't get the scholarship, eh? :laugh:

So how do the financial aid packages for Pitt look? I'm not sure that I'll receive mine before May 15th, and I was wondering how generous they are with aid. Assuming I don't get a scholarship from Pitt, it will be a really tough choice between Pitt and MSSM. Thanks!!!