UPitt Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liquidshock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my Pitt interview coming up and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice (format, questions, etc, etc).
I would really appreciate any advice/comment.

Members don't see this ad.

I have my Pitt interview coming up and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice (format, questions, etc, etc).
Check feedback response...but ditto, if anyone who has interviewed in the last few months has any suggestions we'd appreciate it. My UPitt is 30 days and counting.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's closed file so expect a lot of questions about yourself that could have been easily answered from looking at your amcas for 3 minutes.

it's closed file so expect a lot of questions about yourself that could have been easily answered from looking at your amcas for 3 minutes.

I hate that! We are forced to spend so much time on the AMCAS just to end up having to repeat everything or come up with new "I'm God's gift to medicine" material.

how long after you submitted the secondary did you all get the invite? and was the invite by email/snail mail/phone? thanks.

how long after you submitted the secondary did you all get the invite? and was the invite by email/snail mail/phone? thanks.
I submitted on a Friday and got an interview request that Sunday. I understand that kind of turnaround is a unique experience though....

don't stress about the interviews! both of mine were really laid back. i'm sure you'll be impressed by the school...it's a long day, but it really wasn't stressful. they do ask questions about your activities but i didn't mind that because it gave me a chance to focus on what i thought was important. good luck! PM me if you have specific questions!

Just make sure you scope it out/get there ahead of time. I'm from pittsburgh, and the area is a bit confusing, and parking is a b**** a lot of the time. I paved about 4 city bocks with my parking ticket fines over the years!

Stay with a student. After staying at a student host's place, I had only one question to ask at lunch with current med students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just make sure you scope it out/get there ahead of time. I'm from pittsburgh, and the area is a bit confusing, and parking is a b**** a lot of the time. I paved about 4 city bocks with my parking ticket fines over the years!

Good point...do they not have a lot where we can park? I can't imagine trying to find street parking.

Good point...do they not have a lot where we can park? I can't imagine trying to find street parking.

The medical school is up on a hill and is attached to both UPMC Presbyterian and Children's Hospital, so there are a few parking garages in the area. Good luck trying to find street parking; most of the kids attending Pitt (undergraduate) have forgotten that Pittsburgh has public transportation, so Oakland is jam-packed with cars.

Good luck with the interview! I'm working with a critical care research group there, and have pretty much every digit I possess crossed in some way, shape, or form to get into Pitt.

it was a very easy interview (at least my faculty int and student int were very laid back--- both started the int with "oh ok well i have to go through the necessary questions as required... and then we can talk about whatever"). if you're a girl, bring suitable comfortable shoes to wear for the tour (bc pitt is a little hilly, and the tour is long). the wiser center is AWESOME, as you will see. the students really get along with eachother well. I was very impressed with everything. good luck to all.

it was a very easy interview (at least my faculty int and student int were very laid back--- both started the int with "oh ok well i have to go through the necessary questions as required... and then we can talk about whatever"). if you're a girl, bring suitable comfortable shoes to wear for the tour (bc pitt is a little hilly, and the tour is long). the wiser center is AWESOME, as you will see. the students really get along with eachother well. I was very impressed with everything. good luck to all.

Don't be so positive on the school...it will mean I'm that much more disappointed when I'm rejected ;).

PS... Does anyone know if UPitt gives out interviews more "easily" than other schools? I'm just a little skeptical that I got an interview so quickly, especially as an OOS student. Plus, it was my first interview offer of the season, and when I scheduled it the soonest date was like 2 months out.

Does anyone know the time schedule of the day of the Pitt interview (aka when does the day start and end)? I have a midterm on the westcoast the next day, so I'm trying to figure out whether I can fly out and make it.

boo to biochem and inflexible professors :(

Does anyone know the time schedule of the day of the Pitt interview (aka when does the day start and end)? I have a midterm on the westcoast the next day, so I'm trying to figure out whether I can fly out and make it.

boo to biochem and inflexible professors :(

Ouch. It's good to be graduated >). Here's what my email said:

"You should plan to arrive at our office, 518 Scaife Hall, by 8:00 a.m. Due to the nature of faculty schedules, interview times vary greatly. Therefore we suggest that if you are making airline reservations, be sure to schedule your departure time after 6:00 p.m. "

Ooooh mine's on the 25th. When's yours?

Mine's also on October 25th. :D
Does anyone know what time the whole interview thing ends?
I need to plan my flight. :)

Either I'm invisible and you didn't see my post, or else you don't believe what they said in their email about scheduling your flight after 6PM..... I've never had an interview finish before 4PM, but usually you have the option to leave if you need to once your actual interviews are over.

Either I'm invisible and you didn't see my post, or else you don't believe what they said in their email about scheduling your flight after 6PM..... I've never had an interview finish before 4PM, but usually you have the option to leave if you need to once your actual interviews are over.

haha my bad. I should have checked the previous posts before. :oops:

OOOH awesome! I'll see you there! (And good luck)

Are we allowed to store suitcases/stuffs at the admissions office? I am coming back home right after the interview and it would be very convenient if I can store my suitcase there.

Are we allowed to store suitcases/stuffs at the admissions office? I am coming back home right after the interview and it would be very convenient if I can store my suitcase there.

yes.

I haven't made hotel reservations yet. Are you able to stay with a student host?

I highly recommend to stay with a student. They are really nice and they can answer a lot of your questions. Good luck@!

I interview January 23rd. Fortunately my father and stepmother live a few blocks from campus, so parking won't be an issue.

I haven't made hotel reservations yet. Are you able to stay with a student host?

Yes I am staying with a host. Need to save $ for other, yet invisible, interviews :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: trying to be optimistic