Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

UPITT Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by seekanddestroy, Apr 27, 2004.

1. seekanddestroy

seekanddestroy Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey whats up guys,

I have a couple of questions for Upitt medical school students. How competitive is the environment at Upitt? Are the students ranked? I have gotten into UPitt and Case Wetsern. I am leaning towards UPitt, but the only reason I am not a 100% sure is that I have heard through the grapevine that Upitt is competitive. I really don't want to go to a competitive medical school, especially after experiencing 4 years of it at JHU.

thanks in advance,

seekanddestroy

2. auster

auster Member
    7+ Year Member

Anywhere you go, this will depend on a combination of the dynamics of your specific class, and the system set up by the school. I can't say that this rumor is true or untrue, as it is a subjective assesment, but I can say that none of my friends or classmates have expressed this feeling at all. No matter where you go, you can spend time with those who talk about nothing but grades, or you can spend time with those who don't. I would say that the former group is an incredible minority here, at least in my class. The other classes have a different dynamic - some more relaxed, some less so. Noone can predict what that will turn out to be at any school.

3. RoccoWJ

RoccoWJ Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was also accepted into Case and Pitt and am going to Pitt. Sure you will find gunners at any medical school, but at Pitt you will also find some really "real" down-to-earth, fun individuals. Also, I do not know if the class is ranked, but I assume that the rank is for internal use only if it is.

Rocco

4. seekanddestroy

seekanddestroy Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Auster,

I have a quick question, are the lectures taped at UPitt?

5. sunflower79

sunflower79 Plays well with knives
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I second Auster's opinion about competitiveness. As you may know the grading system here is H/P/F, and in my class everyone works hard but it is by no means cutthroat. Pitt has one of the most active student bodies of any school, so hopefully it says something about our sense of balance about things academic and not. The bottom line is where you will be happy--your gut should be able to tell you.

Only in pharmacology are lectures taped. Also in anatomy there are tapes of guided dissections. But for all courses there are lecture notes printed in a syllabus (like readers in college) which tells you everything you need to know, often with copies of the powerpoint slides included. Some people get away with attending no lectures at all.

good luck, email me if you have questions.
    sunflower

6. raincrew

raincrew Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

keep in mind that there are tons of former hopkins undergrads at pitt. not that that means anything...