SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

UPitt Travel Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dodge This, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Dodge This

Dodge This Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2001
    Hi...I have an interview coming up at UPitt, my first one. I'm from SoCal, so this basically means I have no experience travelling in snow or taking public transportation. [​IMG] I don't even know how you signal the driver that you want to get off at a stop, or how you even know your stop is coming up in the first place!

I read in that the 28X Flyer is the way to go. I'll be staying at the Best Western near the med center. So here are my questions... How reliable is the 28X this time of year? How far are the disembarking and boarding stops from that hotel? Any other specific advice? I was thinking of getting a shuttle from the airport instead, but I read a horror story about it not picking up someone from their hotel and missing their flight, so I'd like to avoid that. My flight out is going to be 8:30pm the night of the interview. How soon realistically do I have to leave the area to make my flight?

I must sound like a big wuss, but I'd really like the transportation to be the last thing on my mind that weekend.

[This message has been edited by Dodge This (edited 01-03-2001).]
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.

3. Hey,

Pitt was my first interview as well. I was seriously impressed by the city, the school, the people - I think you're in for a treat.

The airport is beautiful and easy to navigate. I found a help desk and asked where the airport flyer leaves from. They directed me to the stop. Buses will stop if you're standing at the sign - you don't have to flag them down. The ride costs less than $2, the machine takes bills or change. I'd sit in the front seat and tell the driver your destination. You may have received a schedule with your packet. Compare the stops on the route to the location of your hotel. The bus comes very regularly and the trip takes 45 minutes. I'd leave for the airport 2.5 hours before flight time.

Besides that, I would also suggest participating in the student hosting program if you have time.

I found the Pitt interview to be very laid-back and conversational - especially the student one. Try to relax and be yourself.
    Good Luck!