pallcare

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
hey,

I just received an acceptance from Pitt, def one of my top schools (!!). I'm wondering what you all think about Pitt v Case? Really appreciate your thoughts!

ti89

10+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2004
Status
I hope I have the choice to choose also. I don't like that Case starts in July of course that is just being picky and not going to affect a decision if I am fortunate enough to choose. I do like Case being p/f but having h/p/f isn't that big a deal either. I like Pitt as a city more then Cleveland. I haven't given this too much thought because I don't want to think about possibilities right now but rather think about it if it happens because at that point I'll have plenty of time.

OP
P

pallcare

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
ti89 said:
I hope I have the choice to choose also. I don't like that Case starts in July of course that is just being picky and not going to affect a decision if I am fortunate enough to choose. I do like Case being p/f but having h/p/f isn't that big a deal either. I like Pitt as a city more then Cleveland. I haven't given this too much thought because I don't want to think about possibilities right now but rather think about it if it happens because at that point I'll have plenty of time.
i havent gotten an acceptance to case, i was just wondering what people thought because I have an interview scheduled there. But the problem is that I can't find a flight for less that 350, so i'm wondering if i should go through with it. Thanks for your thoughts=)

ti89

10+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2004
Status
pallcare said:
i havent gotten an acceptance to case, i was just wondering what people thought because I have an interview scheduled there. But the problem is that I can't find a flight for less that 350, so i'm wondering if i should go through with it. Thanks for your thoughts=)

I would go. Look into southwest if they fly from where ever you are. I did interview at both and got the Pitt acceptance. It would be wortht the time imo. It is also a great school and worth a look. (also if you go there take the RTA from the airport down to case as it is just 1.50 compared to 25 to 35 for a taxi).

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
ti89 said:
remeber case is not only pass fail, its no grades first two years as long as you pass (everyone is on a level playing field going into rotations)

Risa

like Lisa with an R
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2005
Status
Medical Student
exmike said:
remeber case is not only pass fail, its no grades first two years as long as you pass (everyone is on a level playing field going into rotations)
What's the distinction between what you describe and pass/fail?

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Risa said:
What's the distinction between what you describe and pass/fail?
Some schools are pass/fail but they record your grades and you are ranked for your first two years. For example, mount sinai only gives out Pass of Fail for the first two years, but you are still ranked. True pass/fail means no grades whatsoever. You should ask supposed pass/fail schools if you are ranked your first two years. The ranking then contributes to what goes in your dean's letter and AOA status. Which defeats the purpose of pass/fail for the first two years.

For example. in a recommendation letter from my dean for summer research, all it said was something along the lines of "Case has no letter grades for the first two years, but we can tell you is that this student satisfactorily fulfilling all of his academic requirements".

sandg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 18, 2003
ohio
Visit site
Status
In my experience as an applicant last year, there were a lot of people making this choice. I saw a large number of the same people at the Case and Pitt second look weekends. I know this may not be of much comfort to you since these events do not occur until the spring, but after both weekends, it seemed most people deciding between the two had very clear vibes and knew which school they wanted.

Just to let you know, I ended up choosing neither, but if you want some more details about what went into people's decisions you can PM me.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
exmike said:
Some schools are pass/fail but they record your grades and you are ranked for your first two years. For example, mount sinai only gives out Pass of Fail for the first two years, but you are still ranked. True pass/fail means no grades whatsoever. You should ask supposed pass/fail schools if you are ranked your first two years. The ranking then contributes to what goes in your dean's letter and AOA status. Which defeats the purpose of pass/fail for the first two years.

For example. in a recommendation letter from my dean for summer research, all it said was something along the lines of "Case has no letter grades for the first two years, but we can tell you is that this student satisfactorily fulfilling all of his academic requirements".
I would think that if you were academically solid, this level playing field could work against you. The people who rank in the top chunks of the class or get honors at some places tend to already have that in the bank when rotations (which are far more subjective) roll around. But its probably a minor issue as the boards count far more than the first two year's grades.

ti89

10+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2004
Status
Law2Doc said:
I would think that if you were academically solid, this level playing field could work against you. The people who rank in the top chunks of the class or get honors at some places tend to already have that in the bank when rotations (which are far more subjective) roll around. But its probably a minor issue as the boards count far more than the first two year's grades.
Ya what matters much more I feel would be board scores and 3rd year during clinical rotations.