UPitt vs. Northwestern vs. Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjc82

granfaloonery for all
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to all three, deciding between them at this point has been really tough...any thoughts?

Northwestern's location is really appealing, but the strong emphasis on PBL and the poor reception PBL got from the med students was a bit dubious

Members don't see this ad.

i too am deciding between northwestern and another school. I loved Northwestern's location - it's hugely appealing to me. From what I hear, the school treats its students very well.

Now about PBL - everyone seems to think that NU is primarily PBL-based, but every time current NU students come on here they say that they have at most 2 sessions (4 hours) of PBL per week. It really isn't as big a component of the curriculum as people seem to think it is. Overall, the curriculum seems very flexible and open - limited time spent in lecture (sounds great to me, but it depends on how YOU learn), some PBL thrown in there, etc.

I can't really comment on Pitt or Emory though, seeing as I applied to neither.

Hey,

I'm making the same choice too except between Case, Emory, and Northwestern. Personally, I think I'll end up in Emory. I don't think I can survive the cold in Chicago plus I got the same vibe from the students where they didn't really seem to appreciate PBL as much.

Emory has Grady so I'll actually get to do stuff! Also, it's warm and the campus is beautiful and the people just looked a lot more content and happy.

It's going to be a hard choice! God, I really hope one gives me a lot more money than the other and that simplifies the choice for me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just want to give a shout out since I am in a similar position. I am choosing between NYU, MSSM, Pitt, and NU at the moment. I think I am leaning towards Pitt at this point for several reasons. Research seems stronger, I actually liked the area the school was in, lower cost of living, etc.

Don't go to Emory... I want your spot.

HOTlanta ... are you kidding me? I would choose Northwestern all the way. The weather is not that cold, there is no water shortage, and from my interview experience, the students are well taken czre of at NU.

I vote Pitt. :)

I grew up around there, and the UPMC healthcare umbrella is huge and offers lots of opportunities. There are definite perks to being the ONLY med school in a major city. And if you like robotic and things like that, the med school works closely with CMU, one of the nation's top schools for robotics. (C'mon, WISER is awesome, admit it)

The city's also really unique and has a lot of personality, and there's lots of places to go hiking/be outdoorsy nearby. The students seem really chill, and the administration seems to be really responsive to the student body. And even though US News ranks aren't that important, Pitt's steady upward trend in the ranking in the past few years is definitely a good sign I'd say. Don't let the research req deter you since if you're going to go for any competitive residencies, you're most likely going to want at least one research project anyways.

Pitt! I couldn't be happier with my decision to attend this school. The opportunities are endless and the faculty is great. If you want to hear more about why I love Pitt, feel free to PM me.

Seriously, you should come here.

Pitt all the way, unless you have desire to be in Chicago or the good weather of Atlanta.

as a first year at NU, i would have to note that there is definitely not a strong PBL emphasis and the little bit of PBL that we do have is pretty well integrated with the rest of the curriculum so that the cases we get dovetail with whatever topic we have lectures on that week (it makes studying that topic way easier when the exam comes along). the best thing about northwestern is the class structure such that we only have two hours of lecture/day, which are recorded over audionotes so we can learn at our own leisure.

as far as living is concerned, the location of northwestern is a big plus for some and a big negative for others. i actually do not live near school because a) it is extremely expensive and b) the neighborhood is lacking in personality (just tourist spots and northwestern). i say go to a city where you'll be happy. if museums, shopping, dining, etc are your thing, chicago is the right place for you. if hiking, trail-running and skiing are your thing, you should probably go to pittsburgh. if you like sweating profusely when you step outside for six months out of the year, the atlanta is for you (sorry, i do not like summer in the south).

I went to school in Boston, and I didn't know Pitt was such a highly respected med school. I dunno if I could handle living in Steeler country though. =)

i am a current Emory MS4 and i think Emory is an incredible place to be. surely, i'm biased but there are many things that make Emory stand out. first of all, the students are incredible. i truly believe that we are some of the most diverse (in terms of experience) and brightest out there -- again, i'm biased.
further, grady will offer you an experience that is second to none.

now for a non-biased piece of advice -- go where you think you'll be the happiest. this is true for everyone out there. all of the med schools out there are terrific. you'll get a great education. but again, choose where you think you got that gut feeling, 'i would be happy here.' medical school is going to be 4 tough years, so you want to try and choose something where you think you fit in, etc. where did the students seem the friendliest, outgoing, most like you? is being close to home or away from home important?

I never understood the falicy that Chicago is sooo cold. It's seriously not that bad, not much worse than any other north midwestern city. Just bundle up when it's cold outside. IMO, basing your desicion based off the weather is not a good excuse. Plus, Chicago is sooo chill. :D

I would pick Emory, but mostly because I'm a southern boy.

Its a great school in an great city (although the traffic is awful). Their match list is great, too. NW is a good place, but you won't have much of a county hospital experience, which is crucial, IMO, to a great medical school experience in your 3rd and 4th years. Pittsburgh, well, is in Pittsburgh.