UPMC and UPMC Mercy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaughtyGirl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted some clarifiction.

Is it true that if you go to UPMC Mercy for surgery that you will receive a Residency Diploma equivalent to UPMC?

Anyone that interviewed at UPMC Mercy know this?

It seems like a great way to get a great brand name with a community hospital feel.

Members don't see this ad.

Training at a place with a big name may be more important because of the connections you make, which you wouldn't if you train at the community program affiliated with the main program. Its not going to fool anyone who looks at your resume either....

Toxic you are right.

But you didn't answer the question. I appreciate your insight but that is something that I have already considered when I asked the question. Can anyone else answer my question. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Mercy and while it is now formally affiliated with UPMC, it is definitely maintaining its individual residency program status. The do not consider themselves part of the Pitt program and really do not pull from the same pool of applicants. Mercy is a known program in the community program pool and everyone knows it is different from Pitt. Your residency diploma will not be "equivalent" to a Pitt diploma, ie no one is going to put you in pool of people looking to be the chair of a department or the next big name researcher if you graduate from Mercy.

They did, however, have one of the best lunches on the trail. :)

The answer is "no"; that goes for IM, as well - Mercy ain't Pitt.