upmc mercy thoughts???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tae1703

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
thoughts on upmc mercy?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a big, full community hospital (higher ED volume recently than UPMC Presby). Acquaintances who've done preliminary or transitional years there have had good experiences. I don't know a whole lot about the categorical program, or how it compares to the UPMC programs at Shadyside or McKeesport.

In general, I'd expect any of the UPMC programs to be on more solid ground financially/administratively than any of the West Penn/Allegheny programs.

thoughts on upmc mercy?

thanx for your reply. anyone know which upmc programs are considered "the best" for categorical?

Members don't see this ad :)
The main, most academic categorical program is based at Montefiore/Presbyterian - I think it's called the UPMC Medical Education Program on ERAS.

My guess is that Shadyside is probably the second-strongest of the other categorical programs, but I don't know a whole lot about its strengths relative to Mercy and McKeesport. (McKeesport is definitely the least desirable of the bunch geographically.)

As the current interview season reaches its middle/end, I was wondering if anyone had any new thoughts on UPMC Mercy's Categorical program. As I understand, the affiliation between UPMC and Mercy Hospital is fairly new - is it a particularly strong affiliation? With regards to being able to do rotations or research at UPMC or fellowship matching at UPMC or other PA or other major hospital programs?

Any thoughts (re: the above topics or any others worth noting) are greatly appreciated - I myself will be visiting soon...

I would like to revive this discussion, especially now that the UPMC-mercy merger has been integrated for 3-4 years now.
How does the categorical program at Mercy compare to UPMC (main/presby)? And, what does the fellowship match list look like at UPMC-mercy? How often do you rotate at the main/presby hospital?

Thanks!