Upper biology classes taught by horrible professors. What do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paul2752

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I plan to apply for med schools on fall 2018( so that I can start on fall 2019) and take MCAT on spring 2018. Here is a problem.

I used Ap credits for basic biology, so I plan to take some upper bio classes like genetices, microbiology, and virology. However, the professors who are going to teach genetics and microbiology this fall have horrible reputations in our school.(Virology is fine) Everyone wants to avoid them.
I wish that I had taken these classes earlier but I just could not fit into schedules with my Chem. E classes. should I just take it this fall and work extra harder?

Or do you think I can be fine with just viorology? I took Cell Bio(C- due to some serious problem in my family in that semester) and am taking Biochemistry, which I am doing decent enough.

Members don't see this ad.

What, precisely, is your concern? Do you not want these professors because you are afraid that you won't learn the material? Or, are you afraid that having bad professors will lead to poor grades that will affect your competitiveness?

If it's the former, then don't worry. Medical schools don't expect you to know squat about those subjects. If it's the latter, then do you have to take these classes? Are they part of your major? If not, then don't worry about it. If so, then do you have any alternatives? Switch majors if necessary (and possible).

Khan academy. Or just self teach from the lectures if the professors post them

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My primary concern is the grade. I already screwed up my GPA because I have horrid C- in Cell Bio. I am studying hard to do well in my current biochem classes.
NO, none of those upper division are required. However, many medical schools "recommend" upper division biology classes, especially if you use AP credits.

Trust the reputations, they do not develop them magically. I took a course with a professor as such, and it required me to study for his exams more than all my other courses combined for that semester. This course was not MCAT heavy, so it was wasted time.

My primary concern is the grade. I already screwed up my GPA because I have horrid C- in Cell Bio. I am studying hard to do well in my current biochem classes.
NO, none of those upper division are required. However, many medical schools "recommend" upper division biology classes, especially if you use AP credits.

Forget the medical schools' "recommendations". Don't take unnecessary classes that you have a reasonable expectation will be difficult and will negatively affect your GPA, unless you find them fascinating. An adequate GPA and MCAT score are necessary, if not sufficient. "Recommended", but not required, classes are neither, nor will you be appreciably behind your medical school classmates for having avoided them.

Reactions: 1 users
this feels like high school senior again except much worse

this feels like high school senior again except much worse
Are there other upper-division Bio courses that you could take, even if they don't seem as relevant? Evolution, plant physiology, histology, things like that?

Reactions: 1 user