upper div at cal state vs. special science program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sendwich

you rock!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i guess the heading says it all. which one would be a better path to take?

1. taking undergraduate cal state...save $$$
or
2. special science (at upenn, indiana, mcp,etc)???

Members don't see this ad.

You'll have to clarify something for me here - Do you already have a degree? Is this for a post-bacc kind of thing? If it is, I'd say probably go with the special science program. They're more tailored to the needs of people looking to improve their med school apps.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by UCNate:
•You'll have to clarify something for me here - Do you already have a degree? Is this for a post-bacc kind of thing? If it is, I'd say probably go with the special science program. They're more tailored to the needs of people looking to improve their med school apps.•••••Additionally, they give you a little more security in getting into med school. For example, MCP and Finch both have those types of programs and those grads have an easier time getting into the respective med schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, i will be graduating in the fall.

the thing is, (i think) finch and mcp's application process is over. so..

should i just "tag along"? Meaning move over near finch/mcp (ie) and take classes their school offers and then apply to that school?

or stay here and apply there while taking grad school level classes here at cal state la?

Why not apply to get into the Post Bacc programs at UC Irvine, Davis or UCSF?

Are you graduating with a non science major and have not taken any of the pre-reqs, or do you just need to increase your GPA?

Remember, if you want to increase your GPA, grad classes do not do that, they are just window dressing and if you do not actually get a master's degree, I do not know how much they really help.

Why CSULA instead of trying to get into a Master's program at UCLA, etc.?