Upper div or lower div biochemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueCircle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am a bit confused by all the opinions here and lack of clarify regarding the biochemistry requirement. Will lower division biochemistry cover this recommendation? I took lower division biochemistry at my community college before I transferred to a 4 year school and I'm now pondering if I should take upper division advanced biochemistry. I suppose at the very least it'll force me to review biochem before I start studying for the mcat this summer.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what lower division biochemistry even means considering you need at least O-Chem I (and therefore GCI/II) at my Uni to take ANYTHING in the Biochem department. I guess that means yah, take upper division.

If you are referring to the biochemistry covered in the 2015 MCAT then I would refer to the topic list provided by the AAMC for the Biochem section /the biochem prep books and then see if you covered that in your course or not. If not, just take the UD class.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys

I am a bit confused by all the opinions here and lack of clarify regarding the biochemistry requirement. Will lower division biochemistry cover this recommendation? I took lower division biochemistry at my community college before I transferred to a 4 year school and I'm now pondering if I should take upper division advanced biochemistry. I suppose at the very least it'll force me to review biochem before I start studying for the mcat this summer.

I think biochem at the CC should cover the requirement but it would still be good to take the upper division course of it at the 4 year university to 1) refresh material for the MCAT and 2) make sure that you will be covered in case certain med schools disprove of lower div biochem (but I really doubt that will be an issue).

Reactions: 1 user