Upper Division Biology courses...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

instigata

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

As some of you know, I'm applying a bit early (not in the cycle, but age) and I wanted to know if not taking many upper division biology courses will look bad. I know many people get into medical school with say a psychology major and they have taken none to a minimal number of upper division biology courses and still gotten in. Will it hurt me? I have only taken one but did pretty well (A-) THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

No. I know English majors who have gotten in. As long as you have your prereqs

i don't think it will hurt you. The prereqs are all you need. And I'm hoping so, since I also only have space for one upper level(microbio, and it's required anyway).

Members don't see this ad :)
JRJ26 said:
i don't think it will hurt you. The prereqs are all you need. And I'm hoping so, since I also only have space for one upper level(microbio, and it's required anyway).

microbio is required?

I think not taking any upper-div courses won't hurt you in terms of the application process. However, when you're actually taking med school courses, having a strong background in biology will definitely help you out. You can definitely make it w/o this, but it might be harder if you are learning the material for the first time in med school versus learning as an undergrad and re-learning it in med school. Good luck.

I haven't seen any school requiring microbio. UCI is the only school that I know that requires 2 upper div bio classes. Schools also will let you finish your prereqs until matriculation if you need to complete them.