Quantcast

Upper division biology

Clinical Shadowing Summer '22 Programs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildOne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been about 4 years since I stepped in a college classroom...About 5 years since I've taken Intro Bio 1 and 2. I got a C in Bio 1 and an A- in Bio 2. I honestly do not remember details from both classes...but do recall general/ big ideas.

I've recently decided to return to school (did not graduate the first time around) to pursue pre-med (w/ a bio degree). I am about to register for spring classes and I am wondering if I should go on to take upper division biology, or if I should repeat my intro bio courses to set a better foundation for future bio courses.

Do upper division biology courses require considerable knowledge from the intro courses to do well? Will I be at a disadvantage if I do not retake the two intro courses?

A professor I've spoken with about my concerns mentioned that these upper division courses will provide a short "intro/ review" (from the intro bio courses) to that subject/topic before delving into the meat of the course. If so, will this "intro/review" be enough to serve as a foundation?

A friend suggested that I just review the intro bio book to prep...which I see as doable given the fact that the book was my main source of info when I took the intro bio courses.

Any guidance as to what I should do?

AttemptingScholar

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your return to school!

It's impossible to say, exactly, but I would recommend starting your review of the intro book now and judge how good you feel about it. It's not that it requires a lot of specific knowledge (well, it does, but that can be relearned when it does. I took intro to bio last semester and still need to review things) but there's a way of studying for bio classes that you may have forgotten. Can you do the mix of review/understanding it requires? That's what you should be trying to figure out.

Good luck!

Styrene

Psychiatry Resident
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    It's been about 4 years since I stepped in a college classroom...About 5 years since I've taken Intro Bio 1 and 2. I got a C in Bio 1 and an A- in Bio 2. I honestly do not remember details from both classes...but do recall general/ big ideas.

I've recently decided to return to school (did not graduate the first time around) to pursue pre-med (w/ a bio degree). I am about to register for spring classes and I am wondering if I should go on to take upper division biology, or if I should repeat my intro bio courses to set a better foundation for future bio courses.

Do upper division biology courses require considerable knowledge from the intro courses to do well? Will I be at a disadvantage if I do not retake the two intro courses?

A professor I've spoken with about my concerns mentioned that these upper division courses will provide a short "intro/ review" (from the intro bio courses) to that subject/topic before delving into the meat of the course. If so, will this "intro/review" be enough to serve as a foundation?

A friend suggested that I just review the intro bio book to prep...which I see as doable given the fact that the book was my main source of info when I took the intro bio courses.

Any guidance as to what I should do?
    I found that an understanding of the general ideas was more important than recalling specific facts from intro bio. Luckily, we have the internet for looking up these things when the need arises.

If anything, I would review cell and molecular bio (unless you're talking about ecology classes).

Blanky

2+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Do you know anyone with bio1 PowerPoints you can skim? Or read Kaplan biology maybe? Otherwise a couple YouTube videos would suffice.