Upper division courses to satisfy general requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hiltxan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school, UC Berkeley, offers Bio 1A with lab and Bio 1B with lab as lower division general biology. Most pre-med students take both classes, which satisfies the one year requirement of general biology with lab for medical school.

However, being as that I am double majoring and couldn't find the time to take Bio 1B with lab (18+ units each semester), I decided to substitute the second semester of general biology with an upper division biology class and an upper division lab class. I AP'd out of second semester biology and lab. The classes are named "Cell Biology" and "Cell Biology and Physiology Lab"

I talked with some admission officers such as from UCLA and the career adviser which gave different opinions. UCLA said that this would be fine, and the career adviser was unsure about this route. I wanted to know if anyone has gone this path before - using upper division biology class and lab to substitute general biology requirements.

I know I'm taking a gamble on schools, but I rationalized with myself that if schools really want that second semester of general biology with lab, I can just take it at a community college during the summer.

Thanks in advanced!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there another course with the "same" info? Like if it's eco/pop bio?

You do not have to take Bio 1 and 2 specifically at most schools. I won't guarantee there are no exceptions, but I did not see any. As long as you have 2 semesters/8 credits (and only 6 in some places) you will be fine.

As long as the second semester of gen bio that you ap'ed out of is on your transcript along with the upper division class and lab you took, you should be fine. This satisfies the requirements for the vast majority of schools. However, I vaguely recall USC being a stickler for taking the gen classes so you might want to check with them if you are planning on applying.