upper division in broad coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medrocks47

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

So... for my non-science classes.... I don't really have a subject or field that I would minor in. I just can't grasp a non-science subject and like it a lot. So, I plan on taking a broad range of humanities courses (sociology, urban studies, philosophy, etc) and I'll try to see if any of them interests me. If none interests me, I won't be getting a minor. Instead I'll have a scatter of humanities courses.

My question is... should I include UPPER-DIVISION classes in these humanities subjects? Or can I simply do lower-division classes?

I know that medical schools want students to explore different subjects, which is why I'm venturing out and taking all these classes. I just wanted to know if UPPER-DIVISION is stressed.

Members don't see this ad.

If you already have a science major, then I don't think getting a humanities minor is critically important, so to answer your question: no, you probably don't have to take upper-division classes.

Bump.

So medical schools wont care that you never took upper division humanities courses (if you're a science major)? Just lower-division courses will suffice? BTW, I'm not getting a minor, just taking a variety of classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
It wouldn't hurt to take more diverse classes, but if you're asking whether adcoms will grade you down for not taking those classes, then the answer is no.

Thanks for your advice.

I definitely will be taking a variety of subjects/classes, but what I wanted to make sure was: should I have some of them be Upper Div.

Upper Div versions are more in depth and maybe harder than lower div classes, so thats why I want to make sure it's okay to just take LD classes.