Upper level Biology/Physics classes necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ahmed786

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All I graduated High School with 8 credits of Biology and 8 Credits of Physics, my question is, is it necessary for me to take upper level Biology or Physics classes for Med school or will they really not care? I have already taken a Physiolgy class worth 3 credits, but am wondering if I need to do a lab and another Upper Biology class as well or will it not matter. Thanks for your help :D

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds like something that would vary from med school to med school, so contacting your potential med schools would clearly be the best option.

A lot of medical schools won't accept AP credits for pre-reqs, so if you took biology and physics as AP courses and got credit that way, you'll have to take an additional 8 hours of biology and 8 hours of physics to fulfill those pre-reqs. Some schools, on the other hand, will accept AP credit for pre-reqs, so then no, you wouldn't need any more biology or physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I wouldn't say that taking upper level science courses is absolutely required, but it would go a long way to showing that you can handle college courses.

Are your credits AP, or did you get them from college. AP credits can be kind of iffy to some schools. At my school the AP General Chem will not satisfy the Majors General Chem which is what is required for the pre-meds.

having AP credit for physics in my opinion is useless, cause I seriously believe you have to do a year of physics with labs in college... and who wants to do higher level physics courses???? so yes, I would strongly recommend you do the year of physics at college level

bio.... even if you have AP credit for bio, I would still recommend that you take a year of college bio with labs... this will meet requirements for basically most of the schools in the US.. especially if you are a nonscience major, as you don't need to do higher level bio courses then as well as having met the requirement... i think there are certain schools that require a year of introductory bio with labs and that anatomy and physiology, micro and genetics, or whatever combo wont meet the requirement

so essentially, be on the safe side and do a year of introductory physics, introductory bio, introductory chem, and orgo all with labs at the college level regardless of AP credit

no you are pretty much expected to take some upper level bio classes if you come in with ap credits. a lot of schools dont even take ap credits. im not sure about physics, i dont think you have to take upper levels.

also, unless you scored 5s, you really should retake anyways because 5s on the AP meant something like 60% or higher correct on the exam.. not exactly stellar if you score below a 5.