Upper level courses audit or stick to 101-102 classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOMD2be

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!
First of all, I am a newbie so if I apologize if I am making any faux-pas. I just graduated from a CC( Psychology major: 4.0 GPA, only preq taken so far are Bio 101-102 and lab) and will transfer to a 4-year university to pursue a BA in clinical psychology. My question is: should I just stick to the 101-102 preq classes, and then audit the upper level courses in order to protect my GPA? I have read that if one just take the 101-102 classes that they would be lost the very first week of med school, hence the desire to take the upper level courses.
Thanks for any feedback!
Ps: I have other specific questions, and was wondering if I should make a new thread for them or write them in this thread?
Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Schools generally require you to take a specific number of credits for grade in order to graduate so no you can't do this

Reactions: 1 user
Schools generally require you to take a specific number of credits for grade in order to graduate so no you can't do this

Thank you for your answer.... the preq classes are not required for my BA, so I will be taking them separately....

Members don't see this ad :)
The lower level science classes can also help protect your science GPA. Assuming you excel in them, but struggle in a higher-level science down the road, getting a B wouldn't drop your sGPA significantly. Take advantage of the lower levels and build a solid foundation, then if you dominate the upper-level sciences you will be in very good shape. Many of the classes take aspects from prior classes.

Thank you for your answer.... the preq classes are not required for my BA, so I will be taking them separately....
Medical schools want to see a grade if it is a medical school prerequisite

Medical schools want to see a grade if it is a medical school prerequisite
Gotcha.... I think I didnt explain myself clearly enough: I am/will be taking ALL minimum preq classes for grades, but I was exploring the idea to audit the upper level classes to protect my GPA/“prepare” myself better for med school. Was wondering if that would be a good idea or should I take all classes for grades?

If you carried out your plan as stated, Adcoms will be wise to it and raise issues about whether you are serious, your motivations, and take issues with your feeble attempt to "protect" your 4.0. It will be a sure way of killing your chance at getting into medicine as a nontraditional.

Just don't do this...

Gotcha.... I think I didnt explain myself clearly enough: I am/will be taking ALL minimum preq classes for grades, but I was exploring the idea to audit the upper level classes to protect my GPA/“prepare” myself better for med school.
I think you're definitely going to want to take some upper-level science courses. While a good GPA would be great, if they see that you avoided any difficult courses and didn't prove that you could excel in them, that could work against your favor. You're going to be competing against people that took courses in the 300-500 range, most of these people doing well in the classes. It will definitely raise questions.

Honestly, if you have managed to get a 4.0 so far, you are going to be 100% fine in upper level courses. Just add 1 this time around to your course load and see how you do. Get your feet wet! You’ll be fine. Once you see what it is like, you can add 2 or 3 or however many you feel comfortable with.

Auditing just seems like a waste of your time. No need to be afraid of more interesting courses!

Edit: And just for completeness sake, I was a psych major too! You can definitely do well, no need to feel afraid. I might be projecting my experience onto you but who cares you’ll be fine.

Gotcha.... I think I didnt explain myself clearly enough: I am/will be taking ALL minimum preq classes for grades, but I was exploring the idea to audit the upper level classes to protect my GPA/“prepare” myself better for med school. Was wondering if that would be a good idea or should I take all classes for grades?

I think you're definitely going to want to take some upper-level science courses. While a good GPA would be great, if they see that you avoided any difficult courses and didn't prove that you could excel in them, that could work against your favor. You're going to be competing against people that took courses in the 300-500 range, most of these people doing well in the classes. It will definitely raise questions.
Thank you for your answer.... I am thankful that people are taking the time to guide newbies such as myself. I am to the point where I get an instant headache everytime I am thinking of what to do about the preq classes.

Thank you for your answer.... I am thankful that people are taking the time to guide newbies such as myself. I am to the point where I get an instant headache everytime I am thinking of what to do about the preq classes.
You'll be fine, just buckle down and put the effort in now so that you don't have to stress about it later.

Honestly, if you have managed to get a 4.0 so far, you are going to be 100% fine in upper level courses. Just add 1 this time around to your course load and see how you do. Get your feet wet! You’ll be fine. Once you see what it is like, you can add 2 or 3 or however many you feel comfortable with.

Auditing just seems like a waste of your time. No need to be afraid of more interesting courses!

Edit: And just for completeness sake, I was a psych major too! You can definitely do well, no need to feel afraid. I might be projecting my experience onto you but who cares you’ll be fine.
Thank you so much for your help, I am thankful to receive guidance/advice. Any thoughts about studying for the mcat while finishing up a BA/preq courses or should I take a gap year? My current desire is actually to get a Masters, which will give me more to study for the MCAT, but perhaps I should just stick to BA and take some time off for the mcat. Ahhhh! Decisions

Thank you so much for your help, I am thankful to receive guidance/advice. Any thoughts about studying for the mcat while finishing up a BA/preq courses or should I take a gap year? My current desire is actually to get a Masters, which will give me more to study for the MCAT, but perhaps I should just stick to BA and take some time off for the mcat. Ahhhh! Decisions
Depends when you finish your pre-reqs. If you can have everything done early enough (i.e. biochem, orgo, physics, etc) and have the MCAT done by the application cycle, which would be the end of your junior year and you have some serious EC's/MCAT/GPA then you wouldn't have to do the masters. If your plan is to do a masters then there is no reason to rush the MCAT. It really depends on your own preference and you just have to ask yourself some questions. Can you handle studying for the MCAT and maintaining good grades, do you need a gap year to build EC's, do you need the Masters, etc.