Upper-level Science Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

run1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a non-science major applying for next cycle. I have already finished all the pre-reqs but haven't take any upper-level science courses besides genetics.

Do you guys recommend taking another upper-level science like biochem for next semester? Will med schools frown upon having taken only one upper-level science?

Also, biochem is notoriously the hardest course at my school and I am afraid that it will distract from MCAT studying (which I am taking in the spring).

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I am a non-science major applying for next cycle. I have already finished all the pre-reqs but haven't take any upper-level science courses besides genetics.

Do you guys recommend taking another upper-level science like biochem for next semester? Will med schools frown upon having taken only one upper-level science?

Also, biochem is notoriously the hardest course at my school and I am afraid that it will distract from MCAT studying (which I am taking in the spring).

Thanks in advance!

Take physiology, it will help you tremendously for the MCAT.

I personally thought biochem was the most helpful course for the MCAT (besides the obvious ones like physics and gen chem), but others will say differently.

Also, some schools are begining to require biochem so you may look into that for the schools you intend applying to to see if you need to take it anyways.

Not sure how schools will view only have one upper div science class, but being a non-science major, I would think it would be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would agree with MedPR. Gen. phys would be more helpful as a good continuation of the systems you saw in bio 2. Biochem will help minimally, especially if it is as hard as you say at your school.

If you have a very strong science GPA, I wouldn't worry about taking more upper division science classes unless you want to.

However, if you have a low science GPA, doing well in upper division science classes is one way to help mitigate your past performance.