1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Uppper Level Sciences

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by exigente chica, Oct 27, 2002.

1. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

I know that for the regualr MD admissons they only require the basic:

1 year bio
    1 year inorganic
    1 year organic
    1 year physics
    *usually calcus/biochem

So what about MSTP programs, do they want more upper level sciences and math classes, or does it matter?

Advice would be appreciated?:confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

A couple MSTPs want a full year of calculus, whereas most MD programs only ask for a semester at most. Harvard wants differential equations, if you're applying HST.

In general, though, MSTPs will pay more attention to upper level sciences and having a science major than MD-onlys. Just an observation, though, not that it's required.

4. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

it should say for each school in MSAR. mostly, the only difference i've seen is more math requirements.

5. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, other than Harvard HST I've never seen a MSTP program that requires more than its associated medical school. That being said, some schools have some extra requirements some don't.

You got all the core classes, then biochem/calc which varies (take a year of calc and a semester of biochem to be sure is my advice), and then some schools want a full year of some kind of English composition. Usually freshman English + an additional semester of English composition (second writing requirement at your school?) will suffice.

6. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

7. curious dummy

curious dummy Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

i'm currently in calculus 3 and will take differential equations soon. so it's best to have a science degree when applying to mstp? would a degree in physics/math polish the application?

8. So why is the harvard HST program diffrent from the MD-Phd, they have to perform a thesis right? is it because they dont get the Ph-D degree, but they still have the experience, so what advantage does a MD-PhD have over an harvard HST apart from the ph-d degree itself?