upset about this semester--thanks in advance for any advice :)!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllSmiles66

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow! I'm so glad I stumbled upon this site today...everyone here is just so overall helpful and supportive. I haven't been able to be in a good mindset for winter break because of what happened this semester so I was just wondering if I could ask of you all realistically if I can still have a chance at Dental School in the future.

I overall just really messed up this semester. General Education requirements are normally supposed to be your fun and easy courses. Yet I loaded up on too many of them this semester. A music, art history, and a philosophy. Little did I know that these actually required more work than probably deemed necessary. I also had Organic Chemistry at the beginning of the semester but panicked after the first exam although I probably could have gotten through well with the professor. Another bad choice to withdraw that class. Yet rather than stay in Organic Chemistry, I decided to stay in my Genetics class with a terrible professor and ended up failing that class. I panicked before having an Organic Chemistry exam during the Withdrawal date and wasn't sure if I could pull through and I had wanted to do really well in Organic...yet I overlooked how hard Genetics was this past semester. Needless to say, I overwhelmed and now I've lost much self-confidence in myself this semester. I hope I won't be on probation for having less than a 2.0.

I'm just so frusterated and upset at myself because its not like I didn't even study and work at it, but the fact that I had impossible exams. I'm looking to retake Genetics in the summer and take Organic Chemistry next term and ace it. I'm really not a bad student and it's not like I don't study. My question for you all is to how to get myself into this mindset where I can pull up my GPA to above a 3.0 and hopefully even higher. I'm also right now a Biology major and Genetics is definitely the hardest course in the major after Biochemistry. Since I have to retake Genetics, the rest of the Biology major won't be bad to finish up and it seems as if if you have a low GPA, you should take more science classes anyway. I'm just at a loss as to what to do and if anyone could offer any words of encouragement or advice, that would be wonderful!!! Thank you in advance for your time and understanding :)

~An aspiring Dental Student

Members don't see this ad.

so let me get this straight... you got less than a 2.0 from a semester of art, philosophy, music, and genetics, even though you studied and worked hard at them? i am just trying to understand the situation.
what was your gpa before this semester? what level in college are you in now? what's your new gpa after this semester?

My first question is what kind of school are you going? If you are attending top school UCB, Cornell, U Penn, Harvard or something like that???

Members don't see this ad :)
One bad semester is not going to kill you. As an undergrad I found science classes were most difficult when I only took one or two. When you take three or four they begin to tie into each other and it helps out a great deal. I have been accepted with to two programs and I have 3 D's and a C on my transcripts. I with drew from Gen Chem one semester and had to GRO 1st semester OChem after I got a D. I got a D in Genetics (never took it over), a D in Molecular Biology (never took it over) and a C in Biochem. Note, these grades will not help you get into dental school so please do your best to avoid them. I took a break after graduation and worked on gaining some world experience that would help me when I applied. This past year I went back to school and retook Biochem(A), Neurobiology(A), Cell Biology(A), Physiology(A), Bacteriology(A), Parasitology(B), Envir Biology(A). Just b/c you get a D or an F does not mean you are stupid and can't do well in science. It will do its best to beat down your self confidence but try not to let it. Evaluate where you went wrong and do well next semester. The best thing you can do is make friends with your profs. Go to their office hours.

AllSmiles66 said:
Wow! I'm so glad I stumbled upon this site today...everyone here is just so overall helpful and supportive. I haven't been able to be in a good mindset for winter break because of what happened this semester so I was just wondering if I could ask of you all realistically if I can still have a chance at Dental School in the future.

I overall just really messed up this semester. General Education requirements are normally supposed to be your fun and easy courses. Yet I loaded up on too many of them this semester. A music, art history, and a philosophy. Little did I know that these actually required more work than probably deemed necessary. I also had Organic Chemistry at the beginning of the semester but panicked after the first exam although I probably could have gotten through well with the professor. Another bad choice to withdraw that class. Yet rather than stay in Organic Chemistry, I decided to stay in my Genetics class with a terrible professor and ended up failing that class. I panicked before having an Organic Chemistry exam during the Withdrawal date and wasn't sure if I could pull through and I had wanted to do really well in Organic...yet I overlooked how hard Genetics was this past semester. Needless to say, I overwhelmed and now I've lost much self-confidence in myself this semester. I hope I won't be on probation for having less than a 2.0.

I'm just so frusterated and upset at myself because its not like I didn't even study and work at it, but the fact that I had impossible exams. I'm looking to retake Genetics in the summer and take Organic Chemistry next term and ace it. I'm really not a bad student and it's not like I don't study. My question for you all is to how to get myself into this mindset where I can pull up my GPA to above a 3.0 and hopefully even higher. I'm also right now a Biology major and Genetics is definitely the hardest course in the major after Biochemistry. Since I have to retake Genetics, the rest of the Biology major won't be bad to finish up and it seems as if if you have a low GPA, you should take more science classes anyway. I'm just at a loss as to what to do and if anyone could offer any words of encouragement or advice, that would be wonderful!!! Thank you in advance for your time and understanding :)

Be a hermit and study, study and study! Get all A's in the easy courses and get so and so in the hard ones. They WILL balance out.

First of all, don't panic. I took Genetics, Ochem, Ochem lab, Comparative animal physiology, and Physics w/ lab in one semester and it was the toughest of my undergrad. Those are all very difficult courses, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Biochem is probably one of the best courses you can take and will not be that hard. Heck, I got the highest score in biochem than I had in any other of my undergrad courses with a 99 and it truly does tie everything together. Don't worry, take this break as a reprieve from school and relax!! Try to focus on what you should do differently such as: more time studying, less time studying (sometimes taking a step back can help) or perhaps reevaluating what courses you tend to prefer. Cell biology is a wonderful class and I would definitely suggest that one. DO NOT worry, genetics is TOUGH and so is ochem.
Good luck and relax!
Greg :luck:

Biogirl361 said:
so let me get this straight... you got less than a 2.0 from a semester of art, philosophy, music, and genetics, even though you studied and worked hard at them? i am just trying to understand the situation.
what was your gpa before this semester? what level in college are you in now? what's your new gpa after this semester?

down biogirl! she just had a bad semester thats all, leave it at that. Obviously she knows she has to do well here on out.

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone...I realize where I went wrong was that I really spent so much time with Organic Chemistry and Genetics in the beginning of the semester and ended up messing up on the first exams for the other courses. I panicked with Organic Chemistry because it is such a crucial course for Dental School even though I really did have a better chance in it than Genetics. I decided to stay in Genetics with less expectations than Organic Chemistry since it was only really required for my major. Also I had done terrible on my first Organic Chemistry exam, even worse than Genetics. I also had the hardest and trickiest professor that taught Genetics. However, I guess all in all, I have no one to blame but myself and I really have been taking a lot of the blame for what has happpened. By the time I realized this, I was practically stuck in the class and there was no turning back. I really gave it all I could and I'll probably retake it this summer with a different professor.

I know that from here on out, the only chance I have at being competitive at Dental School is to ace all of the rest of the required science classes such as Physics and Organic Chemistry. Any tips for doing well in those? And also, from what I've read from various topics in the Pre-Dental forum is to take higher level Science classes and do really well in them. My overall cumulative GPA before was a 3.0...until this semester. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what classes to take next semester along with Organic Chemistry which I will put all my heart and soul into! Trying to choose between other Biology courses or Physics.

I've just been doing a lot of thinking lately and this semester has really shattered much confidence I did have about myself but so many people including all of you have just only been so supportive!! It's funny because I think Genetics and Biochem are probably the two hardest courses required for a Biology major. So if I have to get through those, then the rest I think would be quite enjoyable although it would be many courses! I was thinking of not doing the Biology major and working on a different major involving languages but would you all agree that taking more science classes in the near future be the best way to boost up my GPA and to also show the ad-coms that I really am not a screwup?

**Once again, thanks so much for reading, your time and understanding. I just thought I would post my concerns here since you all are very focused and knowledgeable about being Pre-Dental. I really am not a bad student, just a student that made some mistakes and bad choices one semester and bringing up my GPA to slowly redeem myself :)

I am not sure if your school has one but most schools do have counsellors that could give you valuable tips on how to study and improve on your grades. They will also give you encouragements as well! So if you do feel you need a starting point or a person to guide you, you should try it out!

Hopefully everything will turn around for you in '05!

AllSmiles66 said:
Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone...I realize where I went wrong was that I really spent so much time with Organic Chemistry and Genetics in the beginning of the semester and ended up messing up on the first exams for the other courses. I panicked with Organic Chemistry because it is such a crucial course for Dental School even though I really did have a better chance in it than Genetics. I decided to stay in Genetics with less expectations than Organic Chemistry since it was only really required for my major. Also I had done terrible on my first Organic Chemistry exam, even worse than Genetics. I also had the hardest and trickiest professor that taught Genetics. However, I guess all in all, I have no one to blame but myself and I really have been taking a lot of the blame for what has happpened. By the time I realized this, I was practically stuck in the class and there was no turning back. I really gave it all I could and I'll probably retake it this summer with a different professor.

I know that from here on out, the only chance I have at being competitive at Dental School is to ace all of the rest of the required science classes such as Physics and Organic Chemistry. Any tips for doing well in those? And also, from what I've read from various topics in the Pre-Dental forum is to take higher level Science classes and do really well in them. My overall cumulative GPA before was a 3.0...until this semester. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what classes to take next semester along with Organic Chemistry which I will put all my heart and soul into! Trying to choose between other Biology courses or Physics.

I've just been doing a lot of thinking lately and this semester has really shattered much confidence I did have about myself but so many people including all of you have just only been so supportive!! It's funny because I think Genetics and Biochem are probably the two hardest courses required for a Biology major. So if I have to get through those, then the rest I think would be quite enjoyable although it would be many courses! I was thinking of not doing the Biology major and working on a different major involving languages but would you all agree that taking more science classes in the near future be the best way to boost up my GPA and to also show the ad-coms that I really am not a screwup?

**Once again, thanks so much for reading, your time and understanding. I just thought I would post my concerns here since you all are very focused and knowledgeable about being Pre-Dental. I really am not a bad student, just a student that made some mistakes and bad choices one semester and bringing up my GPA to slowly redeem myself :)

AllSmiles66 said:

You dont have to major in bio, but the upper level science courses would help to bring up your science and BCP GPA which is important in the admission process at some schools.

sorry if i came across harsh on my first post, i guess i didnt realize you spent that much time on orgo before dropping it. anyways here is my advice. keep taking the upper level science classes and majoring in bio. double your studying time for every class, especially before tests. i mean the 2-3 days before tests, seriously do nothing except study, copy down the whole coursepack, do all the homework (especially for orgo and physics, NOTHING helps more than just doing all the homework!!) and go through all the practice tests. you will be surprised how many of the same or similar questions, and definitly a lot of the same concepts, will be on your exam from the old exams and practice exams. usually the areas that the prof thinks are important enough to emphasize will be pretty much the same from year to year. also, try to keep up with the material throughout the semester so that those last 2-3 days of constant studying are not seeing the material for the first time outside of class. good luck :) if you can bring it up to ~3.4 you should definitly get into some schools.

Hey Biogirl361 or anyone,

I didn't take your first words too harshly...by the way! :)

I realized that I had poor planning with my schedule with night classes...because by the time I was done my night classes and labs (including Biology and Organic), I was too exhausted to do work when the labs were over at 10. I've decided to set my nights free and to also make sure I can handle the professor. Also, to time manage better! I just really need to bring my GPA up and I feel like I'm running out of time to do it! I've been thinking about the next few years and how to schedule classes and what major and classes to pursue.

My GPA will plummet once grade reports come in and I know that it will slowly get brought up...its so much easier to have GPA drop rather than rise.

I was just pretty down because I completely messed up a semester when I know that I haven't reached my full potential with some of the classes...most people take the DATs junior year and apply year leading into senior year? Would it be a good idea to take an extra year taking classes and building up a resume before applying...and when you say 3.4, do you mean science GPA wise?

AllSmiles66 said:
I'm just so frusterated and upset at myself because its not like I didn't even study and work at it, but the fact that I had impossible exams. ... I'm just at a loss as to what to do and if anyone could offer any words of encouragement or advice, that would be wonderful!!! Thank you in advance for your time and understanding :)

First of all, welcome to SDN. You'll find that there are lots of people with lots of good advice here.

The good news is that one bad semester won't keep you from becoming a dentist. There are many people who have tanked a semester and survived to go on to dental school. The other good news is that you are learning now in undergraduate that you need to improve your study habits. It's relatively painless to retake a few classes at a cost of just a few thousand dollars. Failing the first semester of classes at dental school not only could cost you $20,000 to retake, but could also get you kicked out. So it's good to learn what study skills you don't have NOW instead of later when you are in dental school.

That being said, here is what you probobly don't want to hear. If you are failing classes it is often you who needs to change, and not the exam. For most people getting good enough grades to get accepted to dental school you need to commit to studying. Studying is about time and your methodology. If you want my advice on what I would do if I were in your shoes, I would find the peole that are getting A's in that genetics class and someone who got an A in organic chemistry and ask them "How" they studied for the class. I imagine you will find that those A students not only spent considerably more time than you, that they also used a method very different from your own.

Members don't see this ad :)
AllSmiles66 said:
and when you say 3.4, do you mean science GPA wise?

i meant overall, but it's a good idea to make sure science gpa is also a bit above a 3.0.

Thanks for all of the tips and advice. I know what I need to do with Organic Chemistry and Genetics although boy were those Genetics exam questions random and almost seemed to come out of the professor's butt!

I'm looking to take summer classes this summer to boost up my GPA and also to retake the Genetics class, take some other classes in other subjects that would help to boost up my GPA rather than subjects that would only hurt them like this semester, and also to start Physics, leaving Organic Chemistry 2 and Physics 2 for Fall of my junior year.

Because my GPA is on the low end and I did mess up a semester, would it make sense to delay taking the DATs and applying for another year?

It really comes down to putting in the time. My hardest semester was most likely when I took Biochem II, Histology, Human Physiology, Biology Seminar, Independent Research Project, and Latin II. I felt like I might die many times but I survived :D

Hang In There!

Hey DrTacoElf,

Are you naturally smart or how did you manage your time with all of those science classes? I know in Dental School, we'll have just as many studies, but how did you allocate time for all of those classes?

AllSmiles66 said:
Hey DrTacoElf,

Are you naturally smart or how did you manage your time with all of those science classes? I know in Dental School, we'll have just as many studies, but how did you allocate time for all of those classes?

I studied my tail off basically. Pretty much all I did was study all the time :eek: . I vividly remember waking up at around 5am on saturdays and studying all day and sunday too. I always managed to take Fridays off though. At the start of each semester I composed a giant calendar with every test on it and I focused on one exam at a time (the one next in line). I often had to skip just to study for exams that same day. It was quite an experience but I'd say it prepared me quite well for what is ahead :D. (Plus I wasn't at a top school either so i'm sure this had an effect).

Thanks to everyone for responding and helping me gain somewhat of a self-confidence and hope back...I really do appreciate it and I wish everyone nothing but the best in their journey to Dental School! You all rock!

~allsmiles66

DrTacoElf said:
I studied my tail off basically. Pretty much all I did was study all the time :eek: . I vividly remember waking up at around 5am on saturdays and studying all day and sunday too. I always managed to take Fridays off though. At the start of each semester I composed a giant calendar with every test on it and I focused on one exam at a time (the one next in line). I often had to skip just to study for exams that same day. It was quite an experience but I'd say it prepared me quite well for what is ahead :D. (Plus I wasn't at a top school either so i'm sure this had an effect).

lol edk, you just described my junior semesters perfectly haha. i never got up at 5am, but i did spend every second of every day studying besides friday and weekend evenings that weren't before a test. definitly know all about the calendar and skipping all other classes on exam days to focus.

I think your biggest problem is that you worry too much! It makes me anxious just reading your posts. I had similar problems where I just expected to do poorly. I had low grades in my science classes and didn't allow myself to study sufficiently because I was just "dumb in chemistry." However, before I took Ochem I decided I would study as much as it took and set the goal to study 3-4 hours for every hour in class (the recommended time for receiving an A in a hard class). Once I did this I noticed a huge turn around in my grades. I gained confidence and even helped other students. Suddenly, I felt smart again and when I was relaxed I did much better. I am afraid that if you decide you "have to ace every class from here on out" that you are setting yourself up for failure. One grade less than that will lead to huge discouragement or maybe even negative health consequences such as an ulcer. A better approach would be to utilize your time and resources better. Set aside time every day to study for classes even when homework or an exam are not pending; talk to TA's and use professor's office hours on a regular basis; and relax! If you have studied your hardest when test time comes you will have no regrets. Even if you do poorly you can say, "I tried" and often professors are flexible and helpful in such instances. Besides, you never know what stats will get you as an individual into school. So I would stray from setting a gpa goal as much as setting a goal to do everything in your power to do your best. Good luck! I came back from a poor start (also, as long as you are improving, they don't care as much--just don't fall back into old habits) to have two half tuition scholarships and multiple acceptances. Whatever you do, don't give up yet because you are a little discouraged. That will be something you will always regret!

Someone here mentioned taking science classes together (+2 science classes, maybe 3, or hell, maybe even four at the most, but I don't reccomend that at all. I do agree that multiple science classes taken together can build upon each other concept wise, the most I've ever taken a semester were 2 but 3 would certainly be "do-able". As for making up for a bad semester, I've never had that problem but something thats helped me along the way is to STUDY STUDY STUDY, know what you want to do (become a dentist), and don't let anything, or anyone get in your way. Of course you need to make time for yourself, but you also should really concentrate hard next semester, and dedicate your life to becoming a dentist, if thats what you really want. There'd often be times last semester that I'd be in the library Friday and Saturday nights, but I didn't care because I knew where I'd be going (well hopefully will be going). I told myself I'd get an A in organic, and did, very easily actually, but I studied hard for that class; I really think there is no substitute in studying to get an A in organic chemistry...I practically rewrote the whole book (Wade). This sounds nerdy but make studying fun...use different colored pens, make charts, and do active learning...wow this sounds so dorky haha. BUT...it helps alot. You aren't screwed by one bad semester...just knock out next semester and possibly consider a major that really interests you, if you have not already found one you like. Good luck and you can do it, just know what you want in the end. :D

dexadental said:
This sounds nerdy but make studying fun...use different colored pens, make charts, and do active learning...wow this sounds so dorky haha. BUT...it helps alot. :D

yeah, my friends make fun of me b/c i always draw all my biochem pathways really large with different colored markers and then hang them on my wall until the exam. but hey whatever works to make biochem more interesting :laugh:

I've done soo much thinking and analyzation about what I can do better and what I can do to improve the past few days...seriously thank you all so much...my confidence level is rising and i've also realized what times can be maximized for study times and what classes and when to take them...all i can say is WOW! Thanks for all of the tips and this board has been pretty distracting the past few days because I just want to read all of the posts...but I'm on Winter Break now :) so its all good! thanks a bunch to EVERYONE who has given me advice and motivation...I really wish all of you the best in the future...although it seems like most of the people that do post on here are pretty much guaranteed acceptance to Dental School with all of your AMAZING GPA's...keep all of your transcripts and records glowing and maybe I will see you all someday in Dental School! :) Thanks again!

~allsmiles66

Right now I'm debating whether or not taking 3 science courses: Organic Chem, Ecology, and Neuroscience would be a good idea...since my focus really should be on Organic Chem next semester...nothing like having Biochem and whatever classes with Organic but still, science classes do require their amount of work! Any advice on how many credit hours would be good would be great!

Take as many credit hours as you can handle. Of course, the more rigourous load you can handle, the much better it looks...and the much more prepared you will be for the heavy course load of dental school. But if you think taking quite a few hours will be at the expense of your grades, cut down. Only you can decide what you can handle. If you will be working or have time-consuming outside responsibilities, take all that into account. This semester I took Biochemistry lab, genetics lab (requires you to be there just about everyday b/c dealing with fruit flies), calculus 2, evolutionary biology, and cell biology. Eeeeeeeeekkkk!!! There's no way I could have done this my first sem. in University, but you build up...and up...and up. What might be good to is to go ahead and register for a full-load, sit through the first week or so of classes and see what each course will require on your time, give you a better idea as to whether you should drop or not. Just do it before drop date and while you can still get back tuition :)