Upstate vs. Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xbdarkman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm accepted at SUNY Upstate and SUNY Stony Brook.

I'm leaning towards Upstate. I know it doesn't rank as well as Stony Brook but I just like upstate New York much more...

On the other hand, Stony Brook is such a good school (reputation wise) and it would be a shame to turn it down.

Will I regret choosing Upstate? What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm accepted at SUNY Upstate and SUNY Stony Brook.

I'm leaning towards Upstate. I know it doesn't rank as well as Stony Brook but I just like upstate New York much more...

On the other hand, Stony Brook is such a good school (reputation wise) and it would be a shame to turn it down.

Will I regret choosing Upstate? What do you guys think?

These decisions are always very hard, but you should go with your gut instinct. I don't think you'll necessarily regret choosing Upstate if you went to Stony Brook. It seems like your already leaning in Upstate's direction anyway. If you went to Stony Brook, you might think back and wonder if you should have gone with your first instinct. Since there's probably no financial difference, go where you'll feel most happy the next 4 years. Where did you feel most comfortable?

Stony Brook has a great reputation, arguably the best of the SUNY schools, but all the SUNY schools are comparable to each other. They excel in different ways. If one school was in the top 30 and the other one wasn't, then you'd have an easier choice. Here you have two schools of reputations in the same ballpark. They have equal residency director rankings according to US News.You'll match fine regardless of what school you pick. If you want to have more research at your fingertips, then Stony Brook will take the advantage. If you want to be roughly 1.5 hours away from New York City, Stony Brook has the advantage.

The only con I see with upstate is the weather, but you seem to be fine with that. I personally think Syracuse is a great city, and if you have a support system there, then you'll perform better there. Not to mention that Upstate definitely had the nicest, most easygoing students out of any SUNY school I interviewed at. I hope it wasn't because of that article! You can't go wrong with Upstate and I wouldn't let this cheating thing deter you. As a student, you know what goes on in high school and college.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Stony Brook is a stronger school with better research opportunities if that's what you're into. However, I found the people at Upstate to be much more welcoming and chilled out and I really felt like I could thrive in that kind of atmosphere. Stony Brook had a very stuffy feel to it and I got a holier than thou vibe from the students (and the faculty member who interviewed me). This is a really tough choice, I wish I could offer some advice. Good luck.

Ann M. Martin Lived in Stony Brook as well (the area, not the school). That was where the Babysitters Club was based.....if you like that...

I'd go stoney brook if given the choice...

it's spelled stony brook. if your MDapps is up to date and you want to go to Stony Brook, why did you apply to Upstate and Buffalo only?

to OP, Stony Brook will be better if you're into research...there will be more research opportunities at Stony Brook, but that's not to say you won't be able to do research at Upstate also. if you are interested in being a clinician, then i wouldn't worry too much about these things. i think both are great schools and it comes down to cost (Syracuse cheaper cost of living than Long Island??), location, what school gave you the best vibe and where you'd think you'd be most happy. I think Stony does have a better reputation, but the difference between stony and upstate won't influence your residency matching the slightest.

Thank you guys very much for your thoughts!

I know that research is important for getting into competitive residencies...

I am not too big into research. I've done it in undergrad and high school. I don't find it too exciting... That's why that part of Stony doesn't really appeal to me.

However... at this point I am more interested in becoming a clinician so research shouldn't be too important.

My only worry is that I don't really know anybody that has chosen Upstate over Stony. I've only met people who have chosen Stony Brook over Upstate. That's what scares me...

I think I'll go with my gut but I'm still going to sit on it for a few days before I make a complete decision.

Thank you again guys!

Last edited:
My only worry is that I don't really know anybody that has chosen Upstate over Stony. I've only met people who have chosen Stony Brook over Upstate. That's what scares me...

Remember that it's YOUR decision in the end. I don't know a lot of people in general who would live in upstate New York over New York City. That's probably a big contributing factor to why you most people don't usually consider Upstate or Buffalo over Stony. Apparently, this doesn't apply to you because Upstate's location is preferable to you. Do what makes you happy and don't look back. There won't be a negative impact on your career.

I turned down Buffalo, and am still waiting on Stony. It was a tough decision turning down Buffalo, but I wanted to be closer to home. Go with your gut and open a spot for me! Although it probably doesn't work like that. ;)

add another to your list ;)

despite sounding like a broken record by now i'm going to tell you the same thing i say in every school X vs. school Y thread ....choose a school based on where you want to do residency and ultimately practice. In this case the choice is between upstate NY and downstate NY. If you want to do residency in upstate NY then you're best bet is Upstate but if you want to do residency anywhere else in the country stony brook is the obvious choice. For me the choice was easy and was 90% influenced by location.

I agree with FIREitUP that upstate has a different, arguably friendlier, feel but i would argue that has a lot to do with location. Overall people in syracuse are warmer than people in and around NYC.

good luck with your decision and feel free to PM if you have any specific questions

Go with Upstate because it seems like you'll be happier there. Tuition is the same. You'll lose nothing. Just make the decision and don't look back. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to do residency in upstate NY then you're best bet is Upstate but if you want to do residency anywhere else in the country stony brook is the obvious choice. For me the choice was easy and was 90% influenced by location.

http://www.upstate.edu/currentstudents/document/match2010.pdf

Upstate matched all over the country and compared to Stony's match list this year, in more states across the country. Upstate has been around longer as a medical school and has a larger graduating class, so there's probably more upstate graduates across the nation--if that means anything in terms of increasing chances into matching outside NY.

I was under the impression that you could do residency anywhere from any school. Residency programs are more likely to accept you and extend an interview if you have a nexus to that area. I don't think Stony Brook has an advantage over Upstate matching outside the country, and I think the advantage of matching into the city is minimal.

http://www.upstate.edu/currentstudents/document/match2010.pdf

Upstate matched all over the country and compared to Stony's match list this year, in more states across the country. Upstate has been around longer as a medical school and has a larger graduating class, so there's probably more upstate graduates across the nation--if that means anything in terms of increasing chances into matching outside NY.

I was under the impression that you could do residency anywhere from any school. Residency programs are more likely to accept you and extend an interview if you have a nexus to that area. I don't think Stony Brook has an advantage over Upstate matching outside the country, and I think the advantage of matching into the city is minimal.

This is irrelevant. The class size is roughly 12 students more in upstate, and they're both old enough institutions that Upstate being older doesn't matter.

I interviewed at both of these schools and vastly preferred Stony... here is why (and its perfectly okay to disagree and choose Upstate here):

A) Students- I met a decent amount of students and at Upstate, they didn't seem as happy... There is a great deal of discussion on the Upstate thread about recent scandals in cheating for the Literature course and quizzes because of how much of an inconvenience they are ... I was also told by a student to avoid it if I had any choices other than Upstate (but he was a random and bitter 3rd year so I wouldn't put too much stock into that).. it seems like they have some curriculum issues that they are working out.

B) Location- Stony seemed much more suburban, but at the same time it was near NYC... Upstate, while located in syracuse, felt abandoned and isolated to me. I liked the feel of being in a residential area like Port Jefferson a lot more than living in those apartments right near campus.

C) School layout- Stony just renovated the hospital attached to the medical school.. it felt a lot more like a community (despite the strange architecture)... Also, all the health schools are grouped together which seems like it makes for much more of a cohesive environment. This made a huge difference for me.

I liked Stony a lot more to be honest, and thats just my flawed opinion. I was accepted at both and won't be attending either for what its worth, but I felt like I would be much happier at Stony. However, I wouldn't base it off of reputation.. If you really liked Upstate then go there! You will have the drive to succeed no matter what, I'm sure.

B) Location- Stony seemed much more suburban, but at the same time it was near NYC... Upstate, while located in syracuse, felt abandoned and isolated to me. I liked the feel of being in a residential area like Port Jefferson a lot more than living in those apartments right near campus.

FWIW, many students at Upstate do live in residential areas rather than the downtown high rises. It requires much less thought to get a one bedroom apartment near campus, but with a little homework and a couple friends you can get a great place in a nice neighborhood with families and parks. Maybe a little farther away, but not much.

The fact that Stony Brook is closer to NYC really shouldn't be a factor, because realistically neither are close enough to make any difference.

To put it in perspective: traveling by train, Philadelphia is closer to Manhattan than Stony Brook. And you don't see the NYC proximity argument being made on the Philly school threads.

To be fair, why would someone in Philly think about proximity to NYC when they already have the perks of living in a great city.

The fact that Stony Brook is closer to NYC really shouldn't be a factor, because realistically neither are close enough to make any difference.

To put it in perspective: traveling by train, Philadelphia is closer to Manhattan than Stony Brook. And you don't see the NYC proximity argument being made on the Philly school threads.

the question wasn't a philly school vs. stony brook the question was upstate (which is 6-ish hours away from nyc) vs. stony brook

the philly train takes about 15 minutes less than the train from ronkonkoma and costs anywhere from 40 to 140 bucks more ...so you're welcome to compare the two but clearly going from stony brook to nyc is much less cost-prohibitive though you're right that both trips take about as much time

the question wasn't a philly school vs. stony brook the question was upstate (which is 6-ish hours away from nyc) vs. stony brook

the philly train takes about 15 minutes less than the train from ronkonkoma and costs anywhere from 40 to 140 bucks more ...so you're welcome to compare the two but clearly going from stony brook to nyc is much less cost-prohibitive though you're right that both trips take about as much time

yeah so my point wasnt to compare them to philly schools. i was using the philly example to show that the proximity to nyc is a non issue from either stony brook or upstate. i seriously doubt that anyone is going to want to check out the nightlife or see a show when the round trip travel time is upwards of 4 hours. thats really all i was getting at.

I would pick Stony Brook but that's just me. It's a fantastic school and they have awesome research opportunities.

yeah so my point wasnt to compare them to philly schools. i was using the philly example to show that the proximity to nyc is a non issue from either stony brook or upstate. i seriously doubt that anyone is going to want to check out the nightlife or see a show when the round trip travel time is upwards of 4 hours. thats really all i was getting at.

you're absolutely wrong on that one ...i and many of my classmates go to the city regularly and some even go every weekend. i'm not sure how u can equate 2.5 hours round trip on the LIRR from stony brook to nyc (where did you got 4 hours from?) to 12-14 hours round trip on amtrak from syracuse to nyc

EDIT: actually i know where you got 4 hours from and noone takes the train to the stony brook station ...u can cut the round trip by 1.5 hours by taking a different line that runs more frequently and takes you directly to the city

You can drive from Syracuse to Manhattan in 4.5 hours.

In any case, for many people, a healthy distance from NYC is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.