Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigRedStress

AMEX Black
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone recieve the phone call from the dean today or recently? It's 9:30, I guess I missed my window.

Members don't see this ad.

i have no idea, all i remember from the interview was that we would be called if we were accepted...?

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you interview at SUNY Upstate? Also, the dean had hardly talked with us when I interviewed there on Nov. 15.

They had said that it would take atleast 4 weeks if not longer because of the holidays and maybe hear back after christmas!

I interviewed Nov 13th, and the dean said that the committee would meet two weeks later (yesturday) to decide on us and she would call us if we were accepted. Did anyone else hear this and or get the call? Im waiting anxiously.

is upstate giving strong preference to new yorkers this year?

i interviewed there the second week of november and i got an acceptance letter yesterday. no one ever called me so i wouldn't wait by the phone. i'm pretty excited though! good luck!

hey dancer, did you interview on nov 13 or 15? also, are you in state or out? I have yet to check my mail, but PLEASE let there be a letter like yours in my mail!!!!!! pleasepleaseplease

Originally posted by bruinkid
is upstate giving strong preference to new yorkers this year?

upstate gives strong preference to NY residents every year. I know this b/c there are many NY residents in my med school class who told me. the typical entering class is 97%+ in-state.

Originally posted by Katie
upstate gives strong preference to NY residents every year. I know this b/c there are many NY residents in my med school class who told me. the typical entering class is 97%+ in-state.

That is the tradition, however I heard they are going to start looking at letting more out of staters in...such is the case at U Miami too. I think this was the year that Upstate planned to let more in. But they will still be giving New Yorkers some preference just not as much as in the past.

i still haven't heard anything from Upstate either....

however, they can't dial my phone number from their office... (damn new area code!) they tried with the interview call... so maybe i'll have a nice letter too?

as for the NY state preference: look at it this way- most people who apply to upstate are in state- so of course most people there will be NY residents. Now- Gov. Pataki issued a "law" that says the SUNY schools aren't supposed to give in-state preference anymore (according to the dean of admissions).

hoping my mail lady sends me some love today!!!!

i actually interviewd there nov. 6 (just looked at my calender). i'm from ny but suny schools don't give instate preference anymore. the high stats are just bc more in state'ers are applying and going there. good luck and i'm hoping for good news for all of you.:love: :love:

anyone who interviewed on 11/13 at Upstate hear anything??

anyone waiting to hear from Upstate- check your mail today!! I received my acceptance packet! I'm so psyched; I loved the school!!

good luck :)

argh, i interviewed the 13th and nothing in the mail for me today, except a tufts post-interview 'hold' I sure hope i hear good news from syracuse tomorrow.

argh, no news yesturday or today from syracuse, and iinterviewed the 13th... am i to assume i didnt get an acceptance but rather some type of hold since smilez recieved her acceptance yesturday and we interviewed the same day?

I got in!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
I interviewed at Upstate on 11/4 and got the call from Jennifer Welch, the Director of Admissions, yesterday- I'm in! This is such a huge weight off my mind, since this is my second year trying.

As for the preference thing- no, none of the SUNYs are showing in-state preference as of this year. Which sucks for in-staters like me, but I guess it may help raise their prestige or something. :rolleyes: Well, if it means the schools eventually end up with more funding, then I can't complain too much.

well i guess thats refreshing news, i still may have a shot!

CONGRATS HOUSEHEAD!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

do you think you'll go to upstate?