UpToDate or PEPID EM Suite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trkd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an attending, I use UpToDate occasionally to look things up. I have no experience with PEPID EM Suite but I hear the platform is a bit difficult to navigate though someone said it was more comprehensive from an EM standpoint. Time to renew and I'm wondering if I should make the switch. Yes, I'm aware of WikEM and the others but I specifically like having one of these comprehensive guides on my phone. Thoughts from those with experience with PEPID or both?

Members don't see this ad.

As an attending, I use UpToDate occasionally to look things up. I have no experience with PEPID EM Suite but I hear the platform is a bit difficult to navigate though someone said it was more comprehensive from an EM standpoint. Time to renew and I'm wondering if I should make the switch. Yes, I'm aware of WikEM and the others but I specifically like having one of these comprehensive guides on my phone. Thoughts from those with experience with PEPID or both?

I love PEPID and use it almost daily. Yes, it was a bit weird to navigate at first but now it feels second nature. Honestly, it's nothing that you won't find in a quick UptoDate search, but having the quick and dirty information at my fingertips as I walk room to room is invaluable. Dosings, management algorithms. It's usually stuff I already know but just want to double check. Anyway, I love it.

PEPID, PediSTAT, Epocrates, Pedidoser, EMRA Abx Guide all get regularly used.

Another vote for Pepid. I use it pretty much daily, and yes, it takes a while to get used to the format (I didn't like it at all at the beginning), but now it is second nature.

Last night, my ARNP was asking if I had a dermatome chart. Well, Voila! Here you go. Here's also the anatomic structure of all the arteries in the neck, and a ton of venomous animals. (The illustrations are extensive and often overlooked.)

I used Pedistat the other night for a neonatal code (ug...) because I can't calculate that fast. It's all Broselow-driven and very easy to use.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pepid... way more EM based and on your phone whenever you need it.

Do you still have access to your college/med school/residency/attending 's library? You may be able to access up to date through an institution subscription. Paying the alum dues might be cheaper than a subscription.

PEPID >>> WikiEM

UTD I have time to read pages of stuff or it's a zebra

Removed Epocrates since they no longer have the insurance formularies available, which is pretty much all I used it for, as PEPID has a pretty robust pharm section.

Phone: PEPID + EMRA ABx + wikiEM + Paucis Verbis cards on Evernote
Computer: UTD, Roberts/Hedges online

You can do a trial of PEPID to see if you like it. The subscription price is rather steep, though, which is my only complaint.

Wow. A lot of love for PEPID.

Had it when I was an intern. Hated the interface.

Anyone want to expound upon why they find it superior to WikEM ?

WikiEM:

867159c6-aa4d-4f57-b1f3-e70703f78718_zps9d6e01c3.jpg
701280ab-91fd-4076-bc12-509e5064675a_zps0660593a.jpg
2a0e6d9c-d1fa-4527-a97e-8f38c35491cd_zpsb3f16720.jpg
8c69ed19-5ca9-4eef-a071-cd7b6be66c8a_zps081cda40.jpg

PEPID:

a44c0c9a-10c4-4cfe-998f-c1b5784a15cb_zpscf998999.jpg
63131ab4-fc3a-4d77-af7f-073bb0bbd9f3_zpsfa54fe70.jpg
b1ec0d0b-bcae-414a-8146-7982cb96e434_zps756ac5bd.jpg
e2ba367e-17b2-499a-91d1-02301a133a7d_zpsb81b6de3.jpg

---

Workup and tx for wikiem is rather sparse, whereas Pepid goes in depth.

I agree with tkim in that PEPID is much more in-depth than WikEM but at the same time, WikEM has all the essentials for most topics and is completely free. For instance, for the Kawasaki syndrome one that tkim posted, how much do I care that it's increased IL-1, IL-6, and TNF alpha? Also, some of the interesting tidbits for findings on PEPID that aren't present in WikEM aren't used as criteria for incomplete Kawasaki disease and are mostly just interesting findings. I think if both PEPID and WikEM were free, it would be a more difficult discussion, but $0 versus $300/yr makes the decision exceptionally easy for me.

Disclosure: I am obviously biased as well, because WikEM was designed by and is updated by people in my residency program.

I agree with tkim in that PEPID is much more in-depth than WikEM but at the same time, WikEM has all the essentials for most topics and is completely free. For instance, for the Kawasaki syndrome one that tkim posted, how much do I care that it's increased IL-1, IL-6, and TNF alpha? Also, some of the interesting tidbits for findings on PEPID that aren't present in WikEM aren't used as criteria for incomplete Kawasaki disease and are mostly just interesting findings. I think if both PEPID and WikEM were free, it would be a more difficult discussion, but $0 versus $300/yr makes the decision exceptionally easy for me.

Disclosure: I am obviously biased as well, because WikEM was designed by and is updated by people in my residency program.

Well since one is free, it really isn't going to be get one or the other, the original question was whether PEPID as an all-in-one was worth getting, which I think it is, though it costs a crapload.

Could you get away with WikiEM and free Epocrates? Sure, I guess, though you lose the integration of pharm, tables, dictionary, and illustrations that an all-in-one gives you.

I got rid of Epocrates but can't let go of the EMRA abx app, and will likely get the next one when it comes out, as I like how simple the interface for that is. All those people with Sanford can suck it.

"Google"

I just don't use my phone much at work when I've got a computer that I can type faster on and multitask easier.

Wow, surprisingly overwhelming responses for Pepid over UTD. Thanks guys.

Not sure if the EM version is the same as PCP, but if you write/update their articles you get a years membership for free. Im on my third year of free Pepid PCP, plus its peer reviewed and is something else to throw on my CV.

Not sure if the EM version is the same as PCP, but if you write/update their articles you get a years membership for free. Im on my third year of free Pepid PCP, plus its peer reviewed and is something else to throw on my CV.

That's a solid strategy. Me likes!