All Branch Topic (ABT) Uptodate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So yet another of the thousand cuts: Navy just sent out an email that they won't be paying for up-to-date anymore.

If they are going to make me buy all of my own CME and all of my own clinical resources, they could at least pay me my pay so that I have the money to do that. Pretty soon I will be buying my own office supplies too

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've only heard this news through the grapevine so far but I have to say its pretty dang disappointing. As an isolated GMO uptodate has been pretty essential. I heard they might be switching to some other similar product but I'm not sure which one. I've always used uptodate because it was the one I got for free from the Navy so I don't have any real experience with other products in the same vein. I guess the contract was going to go up in cost by a lot or something? Anyone have any idea about what to expect for a replacement (if any)?

I've only heard this news through the grapevine so far but I have to say its pretty dang disappointing. As an isolated GMO uptodate has been pretty essential. I heard they might be switching to some other similar product but I'm not sure which one. I've always used uptodate because it was the one I got for free from the Navy so I don't have any real experience with other products in the same vein. I guess the contract was going to go up in cost by a lot or something? Anyone have any idea about what to expect for a replacement (if any)?
Dynamed. A quick test drive shows it to be poorly written, difficult to search, and on at least one very common condition factually inaccurate.

Any GMO who gives the slightest **** about his patients will need to suck it up and buy up-to-date (and I will too). It's $500 for an account, which sucks.

If you are a GMO, get your command to buy the desktop version and install it on a command computer. I was a GMO before there was widespread access to UTD and my command bought it for me. Took s little arm twisting but not that much.

If you're in a hospital, sorry this sucks.

So yet another of the thousand cuts: Navy just sent out an email that they won't be paying for up-to-date anymore.

If they are going to make me buy all of my own CME and all of my own clinical resources, they could at least pay me my pay so that I have the money to do that. Pretty soon I will be buying my own office supplies too

I'm still waiting to see my BCP, which apparently has to be processed before I can start seeing ISP. I'm planning on selling office supplies on eBay to make up the difference until then..

I do believe you can get CME through DynaMed, though I'm admittedly unfamiliar with how, because... WHO USES DYNAMED!?

Perrot come to the dark side. Your starting to embrace the suck that is the navy. I get free uptodate through my moonlighting gig: )

I hope everyone is emailing their specialty leaders about this. It probably won't help but you never know.

Last edited:
DynaMed isn't that bad. It's actually easier to read than up to date because it is in bullet format And more to the point. It also links to articles for reference for additional reading much easier than UpToDate ever did to see their source. Most of the sources are PubMed articles, specialty guidelines, or AAFP depending on topic. DynaMed plus adds photos.

If you are a GMO, get your command to buy the desktop version and install it on a command computer. I was a GMO before there was widespread access to UTD and my command bought it for me. Took s little arm twisting but not that much.

If you're in a hospital, sorry this sucks.
This is a good answer. A few hundred bucks out of the unit funds is usually easy to get, and as a GMO you have a direct line to the CO.

My GMO command bought all kinds of things for us. I left with a bunch of textbooks for residency, too.

Reactions: 1 users
Per the specialty leader a 'large working group' has found Dynamed to be a superior product. All I could find out about the 'large working group' is that it definitely includes librarians.

Does anyone know if any actual, working doctors were involved in making this crap decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
Per the specialty leader a 'large working group' has found Dynamed to be a superior product. All I could find out about the 'large working group' is that it definitely includes librarians.

Does anyone know if any actual, working doctors were involved in making this crap decision?
Let me sum it up. Specialty leader: Suck it Perrot we are going with dynamed Perrot: Sir yes sir!

Let me sum it up. Specialty leader: Suck it Perrot we are going with dynamed Perrot: Sir yes sir!
You are welcome to tell your specialty leader to go F- himself, if you think that will improve your situation. I would personally prefer not to spend the last year of my obligation in Diego Garcia.

You are welcome to tell your specialty leader to go F- himself, if you think that will improve your situation. I would personally prefer not to spend the last year of my obligation in Diego Garcia.
Perrot actually I hoped you would stick around and be the change the navy needs. I wanted to be but after I got a taste of the outside all I want is out!

Can you still get uptodate through AMEDD?

Pulling uptodate is asking for poor patient outcomes. I got practically all of my CMEs through uptodate...and I would regularly read over 200 articles a year. My life would have been very different without uptodate.

Can you still get uptodate through AMEDD?

Pulling uptodate is asking for poor patient outcomes. I got practically all of my CMEs through uptodate...and I would regularly read over 200 articles a year. My life would have been very different without uptodate.

I don't think its asking for poor patient outcomes. Its asking for $500/year. The military is just forcing doctors to buy the tools they need to do their jobs with their own paychecks. First it was CME and now its uptodate. They do it to the infantry all the time, and they make 1/4th of what we do, so I guess we really have no reason to be surprised.

It used to be that any AD physician could get institutional access to just about everything through the USUHS LRC. I think uptodate was part of that. A bunch of pay services were included.

Is that not the case any more? I used to have a login but haven't needed it for years.

It used to be that any AD physician could get institutional access to just about everything through the USUHS LRC. I think uptodate was part of that. A bunch of pay services were included.

Is that not the case any more? I used to have a login but haven't needed it for years.

I believe it is limited to USUHS grads.

You only have U2D access via USUHS lrc for 2-3 years after graduation.

Im still getting U2D via Nmcsd...is this a navy wide change?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You only have U2D access via USUHS lrc for 2-3 years after graduation.

Im still getting U2D via Nmcsd...is this a navy wide change?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The contract is up February second. There is a torrent of physician complaints and its a relatively low cost change, so there is still some chance they will reverse this decision, but if they don't that is when you'll lose access.

I got an email based on an old navy utd account that navy access was going away so I should claim cme now. It also said that I was not allowed to use army or af access (though the fact that they warned me suggests they can't police that). I hadn't used the account in over 2 years.

So I just was notified that there is a contract extension of 6 months on the UTD account. I think its Navy wide and not just for my command? Anyone else hear this?

Be sure everyone you know crushes dynamed when the surveys come (unless it actually doesn't suck, which I have no way of knowing because I've never looked at it but I bet it does)

Look up very common presentations like sickle cell crisis in Dynamed. No useful results. Then try something more specific, acute chest syndrome. Dynamed thinks you are trying to rule out ACS.

Dynamed is truly the inferior product. Whoever made the decision to not renew uptodate and thought to make a survey to justify cutting this resource out, clearly does not use either product.

At least it got extended to August.