Upward trend debacle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sizillyd

Go Pack
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, my first 3 semesters were atrocious. Since those first 3 semesters, I have transferred to a new university and I have excelled. It has been very difficult to bring up that low GPA. Another setback is that I took a majority of science classes. So my sGPA is hurting. If I get screened out, medical schools won't be able to see my upward trend. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Any suggestions? Clarifications? If I rock the MCAT 35+, will that at least stop me from getting screened out? My GPA is low. cGPA 2.6 and sGPA 2.29. DO stats are better. cGPA 2.8 sGPA 2.6. I just need to keep bringing that thing up.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a high MCAT score, it increases the chances that your application will get a better looking over if your GPA is low, even if you're below cutoffs. Each institution has their own formulas for what gets past initial screen, and unfortunately, they don't advertise what that is. Your disadvantaged status might be one of the parameters that will help you in this regard.

Members don't see this ad :)
What disadvantaged status, Catalystik? Sub 3.0 cGPA without a postbac/masters/SMP is probably not going to fly. So, I see one of those things in your future.