Upward trend helps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmcdavidkim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It took me a long time for me to mature and I am paying the price, but how realistic am I regarding admission to DO school?

Transferred from a community college after 4 years :(
sGPA = 3.08
nonsGPA = 3.4

transferred + matured finally, university gpa :)
sGPA = 3.54
nonsGPA = 3.68

overall:
sGPA = 3.27
nonsGPA = 3.45
took the mcat recently, expecting ~28
plenty of extracurricular

I wish someone kicked my butt early on... but does this trend help me at all? will it be possible?

Members don't see this ad.

i got a bunch of interviews with a 3.2 gpa and upward trend. last two years gpa is similar - about 3.5 or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
It helps big time, from what I've been told this by a few adcoms. I had an awesome upward trend for the last two years (similar to yours and chiddler's) to bring my GPA up to a 3.14 with a 28 MCAT. I am sitting on an acceptance and 3 other interviews. You should get plenty of interviews. Just make sure you own your early shortcomings and don't try to make excuses for it. Good luck!

It helps big time, from what I've been told this by a few adcoms. I had an awesome upward trend for the last two years (similar to yours and chiddler's) to bring my GPA up to a 3.14 with a 28 MCAT. I am sitting on an acceptance and 3 other interviews. You should get plenty of interviews. Just make sure you own your early shortcomings and don't try to make excuses for it. Good luck!
Agreed. I take responsibility for any early shortcomings and what drove you to do better. It will come up in interviews, it did for me.

Do upward trends tend to only help those with lower than average gpa's? In other words, if someone has an upward trend to an already above average gpa, will that even matter?

Do upward trends tend to only help those with lower than average gpa's? In other words, if someone has an upward trend to an already above average gpa, will that even matter?

It certainly won't hurt :). It would obviously be a little more difficult to see an "upward trend" on someone with stellar GPAs already but if you are still trending upward and it is in upper level science classes, then you would look even better to adcoms.

It certainly won't hurt :). It would obviously be a little more difficult to see an "upward trend" on someone with stellar GPAs already but if you are still trending upward and it is in upper level science classes, then you would look even better to adcoms.

I had a 3.1 freshman year and practically a 3.9 over my next 3 years with a 4.0 for my final 4 semesters.

I had a 3.1 freshman year and practically a 3.9 over my next 3 years with a 4.0 for my final 4 semesters.

oh damn. I would say that is a significant upward trend :laugh:. good job.

thanks for the info guys! i'll try my best till the end

From everything I've ever heard it helps big time! I have an upward trend from a terrible freshmen/sophomore year (about a 2.0 average) and will be applying in June with hopefully a 3.2-3.3 (I have a 3.1 now sGPA and cGPA) but I'm curious, has anyone ever used a statistics program to show graphically how there GPA has changed and maybe compare it to others with an upward trend, you know to help justify giving you a chance by maybe showing a correlation between students with an upward trend of undergrad GPA and success on the COMPLEX. Just a though :)

What about a 3.4 after your freshmen sophomore year, and then a combined 3.8 the last two years?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

I have friends with 3.2's getting more love than my friend with a 3.5.

I will say though, the 3.5 guy had a 4.0 his first three semesters, and has slipped since then. The 3.2 had some 2.8's and so early on, then went on a streak of 4.0's in upper levels.

Upper level A's and upward trend can trump a slightly better gpa in some instances. Timing is key.

I would say that an upward GPA helps, but also the classes and course work that you take is also significant and can help. I believe that this is what led to my acceptance, despite my subpar MCAT. I was even asked about it during my interview

my first two years at community college, my cumulative GPA was 3.66
classes under my belt during this time,
Bio I lec and lab- B
Bio II lec and lab - A
Chem I, Chem I lab, Chem II, and Chem II lab- A

The most credit hours that I took during this time was 14

Transferred to a 4-year university for my last 2 years to obtain my B.S in Biology
First semester- 4.0 , 17 hours
Second semester- 4.0 18 hours
Summer School- 4.0, 6 hours
Third semester- 4.0, 17 hours
Fourth semester- 3.88, 14 hours

All of my classes were upper division sciences, which helped. My GPA for the last 2 years came out to a 3.97, and my overall GPA that was verified by AACOMAS was:

cGPA=3.83
sGPA =3.91

This significantly helped me gain acceptance to DMU. It has been my only interview and acceptance so far. And just to let you know, I took the MCAT 3 times:
1st attempt PS-9 V-4 W-Q BS-8 21Q
2nd attempt PS-10 V-4 W-R BS-9 23R
3rd attempt PS-9 V-5 BW-R BS-10 24R

my interviewers told me that they thought my GPA, the rigorous coursework (and was able to maintain 4.0 despite working, tutoring, volunteering), and my work experience outweighed my performance on one section of the MCAT. I think this is significant, because it shows that DO schools really take a more open approaching to selecting applicants, and not just viewing stats. I was rejected by ALL of my instate MD schools (as expected)

and to give you an idea of the coursework during last 2 years:
1st semester- genetics lec (3), genetics lab (2), Ochem I(4), Ochem I lab (2), biostatistics (3), drugs&society (3) Total=17 hours
2nd semester- microbiology(3), brain and behavior (3), physics I(3), physics I lab (1),Ochem II(3), Ochem II lab(2), introductory macroeconomics (3) Total=18 hours
Summer school- physics II(3), cell biology (3)-Total=6 hours
3rd semester-advanced physiology(3), advanced physiology lab(2), biochem(3),biochem lab(2), physics II lab (1), neuropsychopharmacology(3), human growth&development (3) Total=17
4th semester-neurobiology(3),neurobiology lab(2),cancer biology(3),cell bio lab(2), independent research(4)Total=14 hours

if you ask me, this made a difference because my first two years were nothing like this in terms of science classes. They consisted of mainly algebra, speech, history, gov, english classes (the basics). This is why I think it helps to have an upward trend but to also have that trend while taking more difficulty UD classes

just my 2 cents

Last edited:
It took me a long time for me to mature and I am paying the price, but how realistic am I regarding admission to DO school?

Transferred from a community college after 4 years :(
sGPA = 3.08
nonsGPA = 3.4

transferred + matured finally, university gpa :)
sGPA = 3.54
nonsGPA = 3.68

overall:
sGPA = 3.27
nonsGPA = 3.45
took the mcat recently, expecting ~28
plenty of extracurricular

I wish someone kicked my butt early on... but does this trend help me at all? will it be possible?

Depends on your coursework.

2 years of bad grades in pre-reqs followed by 2 years of 4.0 in humanities = not impressive.