upward trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuro111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it has been answered by a lot of people.. but I just want to know how much the admission committee cares about the upward trend

i screwed up my first year and two quarters of second year and did pretty well during the remainder of my college career. let's just say those were my "soul searching" years.

i had a 3.28 by the end of second quarter of sophomore year.. and 3.89 for the next 2 1/3 years. Do you think this is a significant change? and if it is.. are they likely to look at me at least some what similar to someone who has maintained say 3.8 their entire college career?

Members don't see this ad.

Last year I would have said that they care based off of what I have been reading off here. This year, from personal experience, I would say that they care very little, if at all about this. I had a similar grade problem (but had a much more uncontrollable reason besides just getting used to college) and got straight A's after the issue was resolved. I had an unsuccessful cycle applying to over 40 schools. I explained it in my personal statement and one of my LOR writers even brought it up vouching for my academic abilities.

I really hope that you have much better luck than I did!

I'd like to add that it may just have been the year I applied. My friend who is on the admissions committee at his school said this was the worst year to apply according to his committee. Who knows though.