Upward trends on GPA will help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jchang0218

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am about to apply to multiple different schools...... and am seeking out for some wishes and luck as well as some advice on school list...

I'm a non-traditional female with a child who is applying to dental school. My stats aren't good, although I definitely do have upward trend in my GPA.

From my freshman to sophomore year, I had pretty rough sGPA and oGPA (in 2.3-2.5). I took some of my pre-req courses during that time. (I'm planning to retake couple classes.)

Although, in my Junior and Senior year, my rough estimate sGPA and oGPA is in 3.2-3.4 range. (Not that it matters, but I had lots of upper class science courses which includes anatomy, micro cell bio, anatomy, etc.)

I have my DAT scroe as follow:

PAT 20
QR 19
RC 19
BIO 20
GC 18
OC 19
TS 19
AA 19

I completed MPH (Masters of Public Health) degree as well.
my grad GPA was 3.89.

I do have multiple LOR from dentists / professors as well as multiple hours of shadowing / volunteering. I also worked in dental field for past 5 years (practice manager).

I just lost lots of hope by looking at people asking if they should apply with 3.6-3.8 GPAs and 21 DATs...

Wish me luck guys.

I'm applying to these schools:

AT Still U (AZ)
AT Still U (MO)
Boston U
Meharry Medical
Nova Southeastern
OHSU
UDM
UNLV
UNE
USC
NYU
Roseman
LECOM
VCU

If you can recommend other schools that I might have chances, please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You know, everyone is different and most schools look for well-rounded students. So, don't lose any hope! Which state are you from? Have you looked at your state school?
Add Tufts and maybe Midwestern(though they started giving out interviews already) Are you URM? If so, consider adding Howard!

If I were you, I'd submit asap!

In the interview for the school I'm going to, for the last question I mentioned the character trait I wish I could change was procrastinating. Probably not a good idea to say you procrastinate in an interview but I spun it as something I had already changed as evidenced by my abysmal freshman year, lack luster undergrad, and 4.0 in a bio masters. I'm convinced my upward trend got me into school. Good luck. Definitely apply to your state school as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not so sure your upward trend will be so much of a deciding factor, but I think that your relevant experience and your strong GPA in your master's program will be key points to your acceptance. As long as you are able to play those strong points to your advantage, I think you have a good shot of acceptance at one of these schools.

Get your app submitted asap, we are approaching the point where your app will be considered at "late."

You know, everyone is different and most schools look for well-rounded students. So, don't lose any hope! Which state are you from? Have you looked at your state school?
Add Tufts and maybe Midwestern(though they started giving out interviews already) Are you URM? If so, consider adding Howard!

If I were you, I'd submit asap!

I am not URM, but still applied to Meharry as they still select few Asians. I am from Minnesota, and am thinking of applying there, but still talking to the advisor from the school. How is Tufts and Midwestern? I already submitted applications for those school yesterday night.

In the interview for the school I'm going to, for the last question I mentioned the character trait I wish I could change was procrastinating. Probably not a good idea to say you procrastinate in an interview but I spun it as something I had already changed as evidenced by my abysmal freshman year, lack luster undergrad, and 4.0 in a bio masters. I'm convinced my upward trend got me into school. Good luck. Definitely apply to your state school as well.

Thanks! If I get in..I'll definitely post something

I'm not so sure your upward trend will be so much of a deciding factor, but I think that your relevant experience and your strong GPA in your master's program will be key points to your acceptance. As long as you are able to play those strong points to your advantage, I think you have a good shot of acceptance at one of these schools.

Get your app submitted asap, we are approaching the point where your app will be considered at "late."

I already submitted yesterday night. Hopefully I get something...

Hi everyone,

I am about to apply to multiple different schools...... and am seeking out for some wishes and luck as well as some advice on school list...

I'm a non-traditional female with a child who is applying to dental school. My stats aren't good, although I definitely do have upward trend in my GPA.

From my freshman to sophomore year, I had pretty rough sGPA and oGPA (in 2.3-2.5). I took some of my pre-req courses during that time. (I'm planning to retake couple classes.)

Although, in my Junior and Senior year, my rough estimate sGPA and oGPA is in 3.2-3.4 range. (Not that it matters, but I had lots of upper class science courses which includes anatomy, micro cell bio, anatomy, etc.)

I have my DAT scroe as follow:

PAT 20
QR 19
RC 19
BIO 20
GC 18
OC 19
TS 19
AA 19

I completed MPH (Masters of Public Health) degree as well.
my grad GPA was 3.89.

I do have multiple LOR from dentists / professors as well as multiple hours of shadowing / volunteering. I also worked in dental field for past 5 years (practice manager).

I just lost lots of hope by looking at people asking if they should apply with 3.6-3.8 GPAs and 21 DATs...

Wish me luck guys.

I'm applying to these schools:

AT Still U (AZ)
AT Still U (MO)
Boston U
Meharry Medical
Nova Southeastern
OHSU
UDM
UNLV
UNE
USC
NYU
Roseman
LECOM
VCU

If you can recommend other schools that I might have chances, please let me know.

Honestly, I think you'll be perfectly fine. Most people here might tell you a bunch of negative stuff, but don't listen. The fact is that nobody is perfect all of the way through. Admissions committees say that they take a holistic approach when reviewing applications.