UQ MD Traditional 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med2020hopeful

MD student at the University of Sydney
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Anyone else really anxious for the offers to come out this coming week? I keep thinking about the MMI and what I could have said differently haha. I cannot wait for this to be over and to know whether I've gotten accepted or not...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea it was my first MMI so I definitely feel pretty bad about this one... lot of silence in some stations haha. Did you apply to any other schools?

Yea it was my first MMI so I definitely feel pretty bad about this one... lot of silence in some stations haha. Did you apply to any other schools?

Yeah, it was my first too. I felt like there definitely wasn't 2 minutes between each station as promised which added a bit to the stress.

Yes, I applied to UWA, Griffith and USyd as well. I have a UWA interview on Monday in Vancouver and a Griffith one this week as well. What about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it was my first too. I felt like there definitely wasn't 2 minutes between each station as promised which added a bit to the stress.

Yes, I applied to UWA, Griffith and USyd as well. I have a UWA interview on Monday in Vancouver and a Griffith one this week as well. What about you?
I also found it to be distracting that you could hear all the other interviewers.
I have an acceptance from ANU and I interviewed for UWA in Toronto earlier this week. Also applied for usyd and umelb.

I also found it to be distracting that you could hear all the other interviewers.
I have an acceptance from ANU and I interviewed for UWA in Toronto earlier this week. Also applied for usyd and umelb.

That's quite exciting future Dr! Congrats! What is your top choice? ANU has guaranteed internship right?

Do you know about internship chances for UWA? I'm kind of worried about the lack of internship spots in WA for internationals...

That's quite exciting future Dr! Congrats! What is your top choice? ANU has guaranteed internship right?

Do you know about internship chances for UWA? I'm kind of worried about the lack of internship spots in WA for internationals...

Yea even the WA website says there will be no or very little internship spots. ANU stopped guaranteeing internships 2 years ago I think, but international students still have priority over most interstate domestic graduates. My top choice would be melbourne if I get accepted there.

Yea even the WA website says there will be no or very little internship spots. ANU stopped guaranteeing internships 2 years ago I think, but international students still have priority over most interstate domestic graduates. My top choice would be melbourne if I get accepted there.

Yeah that's scary. I just want to do the interview anyway and see what happens. Oh I see! Well good luck with Melb! I'm sure you'll get it.

Do you think UQ will come out tonight? *crosses fingers*

Hey,
Can I ask why choose Melbourne over UQ or UWA?

Hey,
Can I ask why choose Melbourne over UQ or UWA?

I want to have a backup plan in Australia in case I don't match back to Canada or the US and Queensland and WA seems kinda bad for international students if they want to get internships there, but in Victoria international students are in priority group 2 for now at least

I want to have a backup plan in Australia in case I don't match back to Canada or the US and Queensland and WA seems kinda bad for international students if they want to get internships there, but in Victoria international students are in priority group 2 for now at least

I don't think that's true for UQ! Seems like a lot of people do get internships in Queensland.

I don't think that's true for UQ! Seems like a lot of people do get internships in Queensland.
Maybe through the JDTP but the match results made through the normal system doesn't look good.
Victoria - https://www.pmcv.com.au/computer-matching-service/resources/1093-intern-match-report-2015/file
Queensland - https://medrecruit.nga.net.au/cp/?e...T&CurBID=62AFB35D-9273-4A11-8DCC-9DB401354197

Queensland (2019) - there are a total of 549 applicants from Group B - Group D, which international students are a part of but there are only 35 acceptances so far. There are only 44 spots remaining. Group B,C, and D are treated equally and selection between groups is based on merit.
Victoria (2018) - there were a total of 104 priority group 2 applicants, which international students graduating from Victoria are a part of, and there were 80 offers made, with 72 final matches. Unlike in Queensland, graduates of Victorian medical schools are given priority over domestic graduates of interstate schools.

I think your perception of QLD is a bit off but okay.

Sean, do you mind briefing us a bit on the situation? Or linking us to a previous post you've done that explains it? Would really help clear things up! Thanks!

As far as I understand it, groups B-D selections are based on individual hospital preferences. So you can reach out to many different hospitals and try and see if they'll take you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back yet? They emailed saying they were gonna send out offers starting Monday but I haven’t received anything

Has anyone heard back yet? They emailed saying they were gonna send out offers starting Monday but I haven’t received anything

I was gonna ask people the same thing... I haven't heard back haha. I'm assuming it'll be sometime tonight or tomorrow. My application says it has been updated on July 30th. What about yours?

I was gonna ask people the same thing... I haven't heard back haha. I'm assuming it'll be sometime tonight or tomorrow. My application says it has been updated on July 30th. What about yours?
I’m not sure how to access my account since I applied through OzTREKK but I will post here when I do receive an email.

I’m not sure how to access my account since I applied through OzTREKK but I will post here when I do receive an email.

I applied through OzTREKK as well but you should have gotten an email with your login information for the portal. Not a big deal though! I will post as well whatever the outcome may be ):

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I applied through OzTREKK as well but you should have gotten an email with your login information for the portal. Not a big deal though! I will post as well whatever the outcome may be ):

Got the email.. man that’s a hefty deposit and some even heftier tuition

Waitlist :/. Does anyone happen to know what the waitlist movement is like?

Got an offer from UQ but I think I will stick with my ANU offer. My first preference is Umelb and it seems like UQ doesn't give refunds easily. Hard to believe I got accepted considering how bad my MMI went haha. Congrats to everyone who got an offer!

congrats on the offer!

can you comments on why you it seems like UQ doesn't give refunds easily? it seemed pretty standard in the acceptance package but maybe i'm missing something:p

congrats on the offer!

can you comments on why you it seems like UQ doesn't give refunds easily? it seemed pretty standard in the acceptance package but maybe i'm missing something:p

Actually you're right. I was just assuming based on posts I read from previous years' threads but it doesn't seem difficult

Who here plans on attending UQ? I'm heavily leaning towards it. Seems like a top-class institution and internship chances look pretty good with the state match + JDTP.

Waitlist :/. Does anyone happen to know what the waitlist movement is like?

Not too sure... maybe try contacting them and see what they say?
What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Who here plans on attending UQ? I'm heavily leaning towards it. Seems like a top-class institution and internship chances look pretty good with the state match + JDTP.

It's definitely an amazing school and program but I'm also interested in Melbourne so I'm taking the weekend to decide if this is the right school for me. So I'll either accept my offer or take a gamble (since Melbourne hasn't even released their interview invites yet) and reject it so that hopefully someone else also gets a shot at their dream school :)

Time to get on that pro/cons list LOL

If anyone's got any thoughts on this it'll be helpful too

It's definitely an amazing school and program but I'm also interested in Melbourne so I'm taking the weekend to decide if this is the right school for me. So I'll either accept my offer or take a gamble (since Melbourne hasn't even released their interview invites yet) and reject it so that hopefully someone else also gets a shot at their dream school :)

Time to get on that pro/cons list LOL

If anyone's got any thoughts on this it'll be helpful too

That's totally fair! Melb is an awesome school too. I still have a Sydney interview I want to do so that might be a factor too but maybe not.

Brisbane also seems less intimidating/expensive to live in :p I'll post more thoughts after work.

Hi everyone!

I got an offer too:) but I'm looking at hearing back from Monash and UWA first. The huge cohort size at UQ seems intimidating to me, I like a smaller cohort size(personal preferences). I have an interview from Sydney but cost of living is an issue for me. I don't know if I should reject this offer:/

They said I have a max of 21 days to accept right?

Hi everyone!

I got an offer too:) but I'm looking at hearing back from Monash and UWA first. The huge cohort size at UQ seems intimidating to me, I like a smaller cohort size(personal preferences). I have an interview from Sydney but cost of living is an issue for me. I don't know if I should reject this offer:/

Hey, congrats! We might be colleagues if you accept haha. As far as I understand it, although the class sizes are big at UQ, it doesn't feel that way due to the Case-Based Learning groups being really small. I have an interview at Sydney as well and we will see what happens! Do you know what's up with your Monash application? I haven't heard back from them at all.

That's totally fair! Melb is an awesome school too. I still have a Sydney interview I want to do so that might be a factor too but maybe not.

Brisbane also seems less intimidating/expensive to live in :p I'll post more thoughts after work.

100% cheaper to be living in Brisbane (i've made myself an excel file for all the expenses at each school)! Same boat here with the Sydney interview LOL

This is so hard!

Hi everyone!

Congrats! Yup the cohort for UQ for the first two years sounds massive given there's the US cohort too and there's a lot of recorded lectures which can be a pro or a con depending on one's learning style. I believe it's 21 days unless seats get filled up first. (which ever comes first).

For living expenses at Sydney vs Brisbane i've done some rough math (in AUD) :

UQ: assuming $200/week rent for a private room near campus (based on current prices and you could go cheaper too) + tuition accounting for annual increase of 6% --> your looking at $396,609 at the end of the 4 years for rent + school.

Consider adding around $6000 for airfare for the 3 rotations that you might want to do outside of Australia (this could be less or more depending on where you are flying to and when you are flying). In addition, assuming 2 months /rotations (~ 9 weeks each) for 6 months in total, I've budgeted $10, 000. This again depends on where you are thinking of doing your rotations and if you happen to have family or someone taking down some of the expenses. This is definitely a key advantage of the program in that you can do some of your rotations in Canada (Queens University) or US to network for residency. If so we're looking at $412,609 at the end of 4 years at UQ.

Sydney: assuming $300/week rent for a private room near campus (i've also been able to find some for around $250 but feel that this would be more realistic) + tuition --> $409,290 at the end of the 4 years at Sydney.

Sydney also allows for 1 elective rotation abroad, so assuming that doing a rotation is Canada at McMaster is something you want then it's around $2000 for airfare and $2000 for rent and living expenses. So, we're looking at around $413,290 at the end of it all.

*Food, books/supplies and other living expenses are pretty variable depending on the person so I didn't include my own here. I'm thinking $20, 000 over the 4 years is probably reasonable depending on how you're going to live your life or if you are thinking of working while in school or during summer holidays :p

Hey, congrats! We might be colleagues if you accept haha. As far as I understand it, although the class sizes are big at UQ, it doesn't feel that way due to the Case-Based Learning groups being really small. I have an interview at Sydney as well and we will see what happens! Do you know what's up with your Monash application? I haven't heard back from them at all.

I got an interview invite from Monash a few days ago. They are doing interviews in Vancouver on Aug 14 and 15 (i think?) and Toronto on the 18th and 19th. Check your junk mail or reach out?

100% cheaper to be living in Brisbane (i've made myself an excel file for all the expenses at each school)! Same boat here with the Sydney interview LOL

This is so hard!

Congrats! Yup the cohort for UQ for the first two years sounds massive given there's the US cohort too and there's a lot of recorded lectures which can be a pro or a con depending on one's learning style. I believe it's 21 days unless seats get filled up first. (which ever comes first).

For living expenses at Sydney vs Brisbane i've done some rough math (in AUD) :

UQ: assuming $200/week rent for a private room near campus (based on current prices and you could go cheaper too) + tuition accounting for annual increase of 6% --> your looking at $396,609 at the end of the 4 years for rent + school.

Consider adding around $6000 for airfare for the 3 rotations that you might want to do outside of Australia (this could be less or more depending on where you are flying to and when you are flying). In addition, assuming 2 months /rotations (~ 9 weeks each) for 6 months in total, I've budgeted $10, 000. This again depends on where you are thinking of doing your rotations and if you happen to have family or someone taking down some of the expenses. This is definitely a key advantage of the program in that you can do some of your rotations in Canada (Queens University) or US to network for residency. If so we're looking at $412,609 at the end of 4 years at UQ.

Sydney: assuming $300/week rent for a private room near campus (i've also been able to find some for around $250 but feel that this would be more realistic) + tuition --> $409,290 at the end of the 4 years at Sydney.

Sydney also allows for 1 elective rotation abroad, so assuming that doing a rotation is Canada at McMaster is something you want then it's around $2000 for airfare and $2000 for rent and living expenses. So, we're looking at around $413,290 at the end of it all.

*Food, books/supplies and other living expenses are pretty variable depending on the person so I didn't include my own here. I'm thinking $20, 000 over the 4 years is probably reasonable depending on how you're going to live your life or if you are thinking of working while in school or during summer holidays :p

Thanks for breaking it down! Have you accepted your UQ offer? I'm mainly trying to understand which university/state (USyd or UQ) is better for internship chances... seems like there's no easy answer? Does anyone else have any thoughts on that?

Thanks. I've seen some of these tables before but this was a nicely put-together document. I would love to attend UWA but it seems like with the addition of Curtin medical school, internship spots for internationals are very limited. Aside from Victoria or ANU (didn't apply to schools there, my choice will be between NSW and QLD... Not sure which one is objectively better for internship chances.

Thanks. I've seen some of these tables before but this was a nicely put-together document. I would love to attend UWA but it seems like with the addition of Curtin medical school, internship spots for internationals are very limited. Aside from Victoria or ANU (didn't apply to schools there, my choice will be between NSW and QLD... Not sure which one is objectively better for internship chances.

Interesting. You don’t think from the charts that NSW would be the toughest?

-most saturated (highest “deficit” of spots)

-international grads placed quite low for matching

Interesting. You don’t think from the charts that NSW would be the toughest?

-most saturated (highest “deficit” of spots)

-international grads placed quite low for matching

Totally missed that chart. - that's crazy! However, the data from QHealth isn't that rosy (https://medrecruit.nga.net.au/cp/?e...T&CurBID=62AFB35D-9273-4A11-8DCC-9DB401354197)

Addit: However, I wonder if those numbers seem lower due to their definitely of "acceptance". In the same time, maybe graduates found a position elsewhere or rejected it to try and match back home?

Thanks for sharing, I’ll consider this source too.

It's proving tough to figure out the best option between NSW and QLD for internship chances... Keep me posted if you figure anything else out! I'll do the same.

Qld is much better at this moment. 5 years from now nobody knows. Y’all need to understand that although the B-D group looks equal and the number looks large but it’s not accurate to look at it just solely on that. It encompasses everyone that applies in QLD including people who do so with no intention of coming here. Hospitals will likely preference out of state Australians > in state internationals > out of state internationals > out of country internationals. There’s very few out of state Australians which means the majority of spots will go to qld international grads. Also spots open up constantly for numerous reasons mainly people taking another offer elsewhere. This stuff has been explained before. Make sure you read through the old threads. There’s not that many in state internationals that apply. I think somewhere in the 100-150 range. If you don’t get a state spot there’s still lots of opportunities to get a JDTP spot.

Thank you Sean! That is very useful information. I think I will stick with my UQ offer! Wishing you the best.

Anyone know a good resource for accommodation info? Or if there is a student FB page for UQ

OMG, Same boat! I feel like Im sitting on a time bomb where I dont know what Monash would say and I'm considering UQ's offer. But the fact that the state of Victoria puts international students on 2nd priority is the only reason I'm going to try my luck for Melb and Monash. Heard monash accepts very few intl candidates:/ I'm checking in with others who came for the interview with me to see if anyone received any news

It's proving tough to figure out the best option between NSW and QLD for internship chances... Keep me posted if you figure anything else out! I'll do the same.

I haven't found any info on NSW or WA. QLD has info on the site which someone else(i think you haha) pointed out. I hope you do find out more about these two:)

I haven't found any info on NSW or WA. QLD has info on the site which someone else(i think you haha) pointed out. I hope you do find out more about these two:)

I think I will be attending UQ! World-class program, more affordable city, and high chances of internship in QLD.

Just got my CoE today! This is getting real guys...

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for breaking it down! Have you accepted your UQ offer? I'm mainly trying to understand which university/state (USyd or UQ) is better for internship chances... seems like there's no easy answer? Does anyone else have any thoughts on that?

sorry long time no post - life got super busy with work :p
I've decided to accept my UQ offer after weighing the pros and cons, so we might be future classmates/colleagues :)