UQ MD Traditional 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sorry long time no post - life got super busy with work :p
I've decided to accept my UQ offer after weighing the pros and cons, so we might be future classmates/colleagues :)

Wohooo! That's awesome! We should get everyone on SDN accepting UQ together on a facebook group or something soon

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone!

I'm not accepting my UQ offer. My place can go to someone on the waitlist so hang in there!!

Someone I know who started internship this year and studied in UWA, 17 intl students in their cohort and 7 got an internship. I can't expect my parents to take up a $400,00 financial burden. I'm going to wait for Monash and Melbourne to reply and if I do get a place in Victoria state, I think I'll take it up. It crushes me as I really thought I would be doing med but oh well, maybe there are other things I'm fated to do.

Good luck:)

Hi everyone!

I'm not accepting my UQ offer. My place can go to someone on the waitlist so hang in there!!

Someone I know who started internship this year and studied in UWA, 17 intl students in their cohort and 7 got an internship. I can't expect my parents to take up a $400,00 financial burden. I'm going to wait for Monash and Melbourne to reply and if I do get a place in Victoria state, I think I'll take it up. It crushes me as I really thought I would be doing med but oh well, maybe there are other things I'm fated to do.

Good luck for Monash and Melb! I think going abroad for med involves some risk regardless. The internship situation is still pretty good in QLD and also in Victoria but who knows 4-5 years from now (I hope it's still good). Just make sure you're 100% with your decision to reject a med school and if you are, then that's fine. Good luck with everything!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

Good luck for Monash and Melb! I think going abroad for med involves some risk regardless. The internship situation is still pretty good in QLD and also in Victoria but who knows 4-5 years from now (I hope it's still good). Just make sure you're 100% with your decision to reject a med school and if you are, then that's fine. Good luck with everything!

I echo the same considerations that @med2020hopeful has given you. With respect to internship placement rates, Victoria and Queensland look similar in terms of the opportunities available vs. graduates, and how international students are prioritized. This doesn't seem like the biggest determining factor for me.

That said, wouldn't Melbourne or Monash come with a similar price tag in your financial considerations? If anything, cost of living is likely to be higher in Melbourne.

Of course, the decision is yours. As a fellow aspiring doc, I know how much I'd hate to lose out on the opportunity.

Reactions: 1 user
I echo the same considerations that @med2020hopeful has given you. With respect to internship placement rates, Victoria and Queensland look similar in terms of the opportunities available vs. graduates, and how international students are prioritized. This doesn't seem like the biggest determining factor for me.

That said, wouldn't Melbourne or Monash come with a similar price tag in your financial considerations? If anything, cost of living is likely to be higher in Melbourne.

Of course, the decision is yours. As a fellow aspiring doc, I know how much I'd hate to lose out on the opportunity.

Yup, exactly. If your reasons for not considering UQ are true then maybe you should reconsider doing medicine abroad as well.

Also, WA is known to have limited internship opportunities. I don't think comparing QLD to WA is fair.

Hi everyone!

WA and Qld are not comparable. If you are concerned about spots and don’t want to risk it I’d highly suggest not accepting an offer in Australia at all unless you have some inside track on getting a PR by marrying a local. Nobody can predict what will be available in 5 years but I can tell you that Qld is still lacking doctors in regional and rural areas and are trying to fill those needs and locals tend to prioritise the metro areas leaving a lot of opportunities for internationals. Plus they funded the CMI positions for the next few years. Barring any major change that will likely continue. Good luck with your journey.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the opinions and info.

Yes, WA and QLD cannot be compared. but to me, it was a wakeup call because I assumed that the CMI would help with the internship. With such a small cohort, i expected most of WA to get one either in state or thru the CMI but many didn't.
QLD had 107 positions and 547 people applying, everyone lumped together in Groups B-D. I assume 100 intl students graduating from UQ alone (not sure abt other med schs in the state) and the CMI picks up a lot of the slack but how much we don't know. The risk seems too high in QLD state compared to Vic state which had about 110 applications for 80ish spots.

As you all mentioned, there is definitely a risk but to me, the risk seems too high in QLD. I know I'm waiting for a spot from Monash and Melb which may/may not ever come.

Spending an extra $800/month to live in Melb vs $400,000 education, I'd rather spend more to live in Melb if they have lesser competition for the internship places. It sucks but the WA situation was a wakeup call that CMI isn't a safety net for all and the supply demand in QLD situation seems worse.

Th
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the opinions and info.

Yes, WA and QLD cannot be compared. but to me, it was a wakeup call because I assumed that the CMI would help with the internship. With such a small cohort, i expected most of WA to get one either in state or thru the CMI but many didn't.
QLD had 107 positions and 547 people applying, everyone lumped together in Groups B-D. I assume 100 intl students graduating from UQ alone (not sure abt other med schs in the state) and the CMI picks up a lot of the slack but how much we don't know. The risk seems too high in QLD state compared to Vic state which had about 110 applications for 80ish spots.

As you all mentioned, there is definitely a risk but to me, the risk seems too high in QLD. I know I'm waiting for a spot from Monash and Melb which may/may not ever come.
Thats not how those numbers work. Good luck either way. I would just caution you from hypothesising about the numbers without actually understanding what they mean.

Reactions: 2 users
Spending an extra $800/month to live in Melb vs $400,000 education, I'd rather spend more to live in Melb if they have lesser competition for the internship places. It sucks but the WA situation was a wakeup call that CMI isn't a safety net for all and the supply demand in QLD situation seems worse.

Refer to pg.8-10 on this document if you haven’t already. I feel like your numerical comparisons are apples vs. oranges.

Or indeed, page 1:
"Due to low application numbers resulting from lower graduate numbers in 2017, the CMI program was expanded beyond international graduates of Australian medical schools; this will continue in the PHS program..."

Someone I know who started internship this year and studied in UWA, 17 intl students in their cohort and 7 got an internship. I can't expect my parents to take up a $400,00 financial burden...
I have long ago learned not to trust such anecdotes. They are usually based on gross numbers reported by students who do not know the big picture and which fail to account for the fact that int'l students from N. America tend to apply locally but then return home, and that most anecdotes concern only those placed in one's own state, and usually before the application/acceptance season is even over (which can happen AFTER internship starts).

The right question would be how many int'ls applied for Australian internship, how many did so not as a backup to returning home, and of those how many were left without graduate training anywhere in the country. Based on state reporting, that number -- of int'ls still actively looking for a job at the beginning of the internship year -- has tended to be trivial (literally, like a handful nationwide), at least up until a year or two ago (I've been out of the loop more recently, but I see no change in the system that would cause this to have significantly changed, while the federal mop-up was apparently more than sufficient in 2017 as per the quote at top).

Note the trend: graduate numbers plateaued five+ years ago (arguably as far back as 2011), while total internship spots have not decreased over that time, and federally funded spots for int'ls have most recently been increased (from the 'up to 100' they were since CMI inception). The internship tsunami is 'over' in the sense that there is no reason I can see (correct me if I'm now blind) to believe int'l students will fare poorly given that to date, virtually all who have wanted an internship in Australia have been able to stay.

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten a refund from UQ? Is going to another school an acceptable reason? What kind of additional comments/supporting documents did you attach?

Has anyone gotten a refund from UQ? Is going to another school an acceptable reason? What kind of additional comments/supporting documents did you attach?

Hey, I received a refund from UQ. Just need to get the money back from the OSHC - it's taking forever. Yes, it's an acceptable reason. I think I just uploaded the CoE from Sydney (school I was switching to)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I received a refund from UQ. Just need to get the money back from the OSHC - it's taking forever. Yes, it's an acceptable reason. I think I just uploaded the CoE from Sydney (school I was switching to)
if you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for them to refund you?