UQ-Ochsner 2017 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are Ochsner students eligible for Australian internship?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean the observership at the end of year one or internship following med school? I believe there are some documents you need to fill out for internships follwoing med school.

You are allowed to apply for internship. However, I believe you will be priority 6, second last priority. At that point, not many spots are left. As Ochsner students, you are not allowed to apply for the CMI.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are allowed to apply for internship. However, I believe you will be priority 6, second last priority. At that point, not many spots are left. As Ochsner students, you are not allowed to apply for the CMI.
What is CMI??

If you are looking to do your residency/internship in Australia, it would be better to look at applying as an international student, not an UQ-O student.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup. They specify that these 7 documents must be completed by August 1st.
This is false, my friend. There is no such thing as an August 1st due date. Only due dates are the acceptance of offer documents which is up to 42 days after acceptance. The other forms that they send you must be completed by December.

Hi everybody, I've been accepted for almost 2 weeks and haven't been sent the How to Accept Your Offer and What to do Next packets yet. I want to submit the deposit as soon as possible so I just want to clarify some things:

1) If you are sending a banker's draft, you would make it payable to The University of Queensland, not to Mededpath, right?
I'm a little unsure of this because Alex wrote "In order to properly process your enrollment, you must send all documents and payments to our New York office" in the Offer email.

2) All we need to send in to confirm our spots are the Acceptance form, payment, OSHC certificate, and Declaration of Financial Capacity right? (some people on here mentioned a Clinical School Preference Form, but I haven't receive that...)

3) And lastly, we would send everything to:

Toby Hudson
Admissions Advisor
MedEdPath
77 Water Street
8th Floor
New York, NY 10005

Last edited:
I think if you email Toby and remind her to email you the packets, she'll get them to you. It might be busy/maybe she forgot?

Hi everybody, I've been accepted for almost 2 weeks and haven't been sent the How to Accept Your Offer and What to do Next packets yet. I want to submit the deposit as soon as possible so I just want to clarify some things:

1) If you are sending a banker's draft, you would make it payable to The University of Queensland, not to Mededpath, right?
I'm a little unsure of this because Alex wrote "In order to properly process your enrollment, you must send all documents and payments to our New York office" in the Offer email.

2) All we need to send in to confirm our spots are the Acceptance form, payment, OSHC certificate, and Declaration of Financial Capacity right? (some people on here mentioned a Clinical School Preference Form, but I haven't receive that...)

3) And lastly, we would send everything to:

Toby Hudson
Admissions Advisor
MedEdPath
77 Water Street
8th Floor
New York, NY 10005

1. correct. wire or cashier's check only accepted for deposit. payable to UQ
2. signed acceptence. tuition deposit. certificate of OSHC. SVP declaration. clinical school preference is submitted online
3. correct. does not need to be addressed to Toby but ensure it is trackable. I would also scan and email everything to [email protected]

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I spoke to my mentor today about coming back to the US. He mentioned something that UQ-Ochsner hasn't mentioned so I don't know what to expect. Any student graduating from an international med school has to go thru the ECFMG association. I don't know if we will need to take any extra exams besides Step 1, 2CS, 2CK, but the way he stated it, it seems like there is another process we have to go thru. Since we are also considered IMG. Is this true? Can anyone shed some light on this?

I spoke to my mentor today about coming back to the US. He mentioned something that UQ-Ochsner hasn't mentioned so I don't know what to expect. Any student graduating from an international med school has to go thru the ECFMG association. I don't know if we will need to take any extra exams besides Step 1, 2CS, 2CK, but the way he stated it, it seems like there is another process we have to go thru. Since we are also considered IMG. Is this true? Can anyone shed some light on this?

This is correct and it is briefly mentioned in the FAQs on the mededpath site. UQ provides information on this process and assists in registering with ECFMG beginning in M2, from my understanding. I believe ECFMG essentially acts as a dean's office for ERAS and then provides certification following graduation. A passing score on Step 1 and Step 2 CK and CS satisfy the ECFMG exam requirements. ECFMG.org has more info on this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

This is correct and it is briefly mentioned in the FAQs on the mededpath site. UQ provides information on this process and assists in registering with ECFMG beginning in M2, from my understanding. I believe ECFMG essentially acts as a dean's office for ERAS and then provides certification following graduation. A passing score on Step 1 and Step 2 CK and CS satisfy the ECFMG exam requirements. ECFMG.org has more info on this.

So besides doing well on the Step exams we don't need to do anything more? If thats the case, sweet. Cause I don't need another exam on top of all that we are already taking and another hurdle to jump over to get to our goal.

Members don't see this ad :)
So besides doing well on the Step exams we don't need to do anything more? If thats the case, sweet. Cause I don't need another exam on top of all that we are already taking and another hurdle to jump over to get to our goal.

No. There is nothing extra you have to sit.

Step 1 and Step 2ck are the big ones. I heard UQ is talking about adding shelf exams, but hasn't yet to my knowledge.

There are Australian OSCEs at the end of second year as well. It's a clinical exam, and it's basically stuff taken right out of the clinical coaching handbook.

No. There is nothing extra you have to sit.

Let me rephrase that.

There is nothing extra for the US that we have to do to apply for the match.

There are Australian OSCEs at the end of second year as well. It's a clinical exam, and it's basically stuff taken right out of the clinical coaching handbook.

All US schools have OSCEs too, at least if they are accredited by LCME. I don't know any that aren't though.

This is false, my friend. There is no such thing as an August 1st due date. Only due dates are the acceptance of offer documents which is up to 42 days after acceptance. The other forms that they send you must be completed by December.

Agreed. My mistake.

I really appreciate your input. Could you please shed some light what material is provided for us through the program and what more aid materials we ought to invest in?

Agree with what Steele said, first year- becker and first aid, 2nd year- uworld provided. We do get some discounts for pathoma and firecracker and usmlerx as well. Wait until you get here because there are a lot of resources passed around and you can see what you like. I know people who went crazy buying textbooks who didn't end up using any of them. Plus books are heavy you don't want to lug them here from the U.S. Bring an external hard drive for the resources passed around.

Anyone know how big of a factor an IMG like UQ-Ochsner plays into fellowships/ subspecialties? (specifically pediatric subspecialties!)

I did my FAFSA as well, partly because I had it already filled out for another school I had been planning to attend in August until I got the acceptance from UQ-O. I just submitted a FAFSA correction less than a week ago to reflect UQ-O. I am also wondering if we would have to submit a 2016-2017 FAFSA or a 2017-2018 FAFSA. From What I understand there were some changes that are supposed to take effect with the FAFSA process this year, like being able to submit in October rather than January for the upcoming year.

I called Toby and confirmed this. She said that we can submit our FAFSA now if we would like. Was there a section where we specify dates we will be in Australia, though? I did not see it...can anyone comment on this? I just simply added UQ as a school on my list.

Is there a facebook group yet for accepted UQ Ochsner students?

Is there a facebook group yet for accepted UQ Ochsner students?

Yes. The OMSA admin will send an invite to those who have accepted their offers.

Agree with what Steele said, first year- becker and first aid, 2nd year- uworld provided. We do get some discounts for pathoma and firecracker and usmlerx as well. Wait until you get here because there are a lot of resources passed around and you can see what you like. I know people who went crazy buying textbooks who didn't end up using any of them. Plus books are heavy you don't want to lug them here from the U.S. Bring an external hard drive for the resources passed around.

I bought an ipad pro and it has been the best decision of my life. ALL your materials are online and in PDF format. Throw them in weekly folders on OneNote, with sub folders (anatomy, histo, etc) and then annotate slides with the pencil. EASY! Plus, all the required textbooks are passed around on google drives and they can be added into the iBooks app. If you're super awesome, you can download the lectures and save them in iTunes video. So, literally, your entire medical education is portable, on one device, and can be marked up at will.

Reactions: 1 users
I called Toby and confirmed this. She said that we can submit our FAFSA now if we would like. Was there a section where we specify dates we will be in Australia, though? I did not see it...can anyone comment on this? I just simply added UQ as a school on my list.

The school itself will send its own dates. You just need to fill out the FAFSA and they'll take it from there. You'll get an email from the UQ financial aid office asking you to reply to them to verify you want the disbursement. REPLY!!! otherwise they won't give it to you. It's not automatic like the US. Also, make sure you get it in USD not AUD.

I bought an ipad pro and it has been the best decision of my life. ALL your materials are online and in PDF format. Throw them in weekly folders on OneNote, with sub folders (anatomy, histo, etc) and then annotate slides with the pencil. EASY! Plus, all the required textbooks are passed around on google drives and they can be added into the iBooks app. If you're super awesome, you can download the lectures and save them in iTunes video. So, literally, your entire medical education is portable, on one device, and can be marked up at will.

I had an iPad too. I gave up. It was too much of a hassle. I switched to just annotating with preview in OS X. Makes it easier to keep annotations synced up with Google Drive, which you DO want to do. I've seen a few students who lost their entire year of notes because they didn't have a backup of their data.

That said, buy an iPad (they are a bit cheaper in the States), and if you don't like it you can sell it here for not much of a loss.

Edit: For Windows users, check out OneNote for annotating PDFs.

I had an iPad too. I gave up. It was too much of a hassle. I switched to just annotating with preview in OS X. Makes it easier to keep annotations synced up with Google Drive, which you DO want to do. I've seen a few students who lost their entire year of notes because they didn't have a backup of their data.

That said, buy an iPad (they are a bit cheaper in the States), and if you don't like it you can sell it here for not much of a loss.

Edit: For Windows users, check out OneNote for annotating PDFs.

I use an IPad Pro/Apple Pencil in my postbacc program and love it. All of my notes and books are on it so it's easy to study anywhere. I use notability to take notes, record lectures, and annotate pdfs. Notability syncs with Google Drive, making it easy to share with others, access notes/books on macbook, iphone, or ipad, and everything is always backed up to the cloud. Definitely a good investment.

I use an IPad Pro/Apple Pencil in my postbacc program and love it. All of my notes and books are on it so it's easy to study anywhere. I use notability to take notes, record lectures, and annotate pdfs. Notability syncs with Google Drive, making it easy to share with others, access notes/books on macbook, iphone, or ipad, and everything is always backed up to the cloud. Definitely a good investment.

Notability was too much of a hassle to organize files with. It quickly got out of hand when the weeks added up in med school (way too much to keep organized on an iPad for me). Became too untidy. I just personally needed to be able to manipulate and organize files in ways which was not possible on iPad.

AGAIN, that said, new students, get an iPad and try it for yourself in class to see if you like it. If not, sell it. If so, enjoy.

Last edited:
Notability was too much of a hassle to organize files with. It quickly got out of hand when the weeks added up in med school (way too much to keep organized on an iPad for me). Became too untidy. I just personally needed to be able to manipulate and organize files in ways which was not possible on iPad.

AGAIN, that said, new students, get an iPad and try it for yourself in class to see if you like it. If not, sell it. If so, enjoy.

I think you bought an ipad, not an ipad PRO (they were released December 2015)... there is a difference. That difference is the pencil, which allows you to annotate every single PDF you throw into it. The keyboard is also a bit of a game changer too, since it'll hold the giant screen up for you. It sounds like you were using a regular ipad and using a stylus, which I've seen people do but it's a huge pain (all sorts of zooming and pop up windows) and exactly what I wanted to avoid. ipad pro is the size of a sheet of paper and you write on it, exactly like a sheet of paper. You can write your notes and then zoom out a bit and condense them to the right if you want. you never run out of room to add. Also, OneNote backs up every minute or so to OneDrive, so I'm not sure how people lost information.

Reactions: 1 users
It's not too late to apply is it? What would my chances be of getting in with a GPA of 3.61 and MCAT of 29?

It's not too late to apply is it? What would my chances be of getting in with a GPA of 3.61 and MCAT of 29?
UQ and UQ-O are rolling admissions, at this point I don't think its too late to apply (based on last year). I wouldn't delay any more though. Your stats are good enough to pass their cutoffs.

Goodluck

where / when are you guys taking the First Aid class?
does the First Aid, CPR, and AED course through Red Cross meet all the requirements?

I think you bought an ipad, not an ipad PRO (they were released December 2015)... there is a difference. That difference is the pencil, which allows you to annotate every single PDF you throw into it. The keyboard is also a bit of a game changer too, since it'll hold the giant screen up for you. It sounds like you were using a regular ipad and using a stylus, which I've seen people do but it's a huge pain (all sorts of zooming and pop up windows) and exactly what I wanted to avoid. ipad pro is the size of a sheet of paper and you write on it, exactly like a sheet of paper. You can write your notes and then zoom out a bit and condense them to the right if you want. you never run out of room to add. Also, OneNote backs up every minute or so to OneDrive, so I'm not sure how people lost information.

Edit: Previous comments redacted because I'm not about to get into an internet argument over this.

For the third time, incoming students, see what works best for yourself, be it a tablet or a laptop, there's nothing more important than that. (Hell, there are even some students that print out every lecture so they can take physical notes.) To everyone their own.

And yes, buy an external drive to backup your data. You don't want to deal with getting another copy and reorganizing the 250 GB of data on the drive that gets passed around for STEP 1 study. And yes, you are going to need a laptop to use the materials on the drive, not an iPad.

Last edited:
Edit: Previous comments redacted because I'm not about to get into an internet argument over this.

For the third time, incoming students, see what works best for yourself, be it a tablet or a laptop, there's nothing more important than that. (Hell, there are even some students that print out every lecture so they can take physical notes.) To everyone their own.

And yes, buy an external drive to backup your data. You don't want to deal with getting another copy and reorganizing the 250 GB of data on the drive that gets passed around for STEP 1 study. And yes, you are going to need a laptop to use the materials on the drive, not an iPad.

I saw the previous comment, he called you a useless smelly coward that looks like donald trump's hair.... hes lying if he says otherwise... #snitchforlife

I use an iPad pro with pencil and notability in med school and love it as well! I'm a 1000x more organized with it then I used to be (hopelessly disorganized pre iPad pro). I use a macbook as well for typing notes and when I want to use 2 screens i.e. watching lectures on laptop and annotating slides on ipad (but not as much).

That being said, its about the price of a laptop so if you can only buy 1 thing I would make sure you have a decent laptop first, its more a luxury item that is nice if you can afford it!

Reactions: 2 users
when's the next application cycle? I think my gpa is too low and the timeline is too late to apply for the program for this cycle. :(

I use an iPad pro with pencil and notability in med school and love it as well! I'm a 1000x more organized with it then I used to be (hopelessly disorganized pre iPad pro). I use a macbook as well for typing notes and when I want to use 2 screens i.e. watching lectures on laptop and annotating slides on ipad (but not as much).

That being said, its about the price of a laptop so if you can only buy 1 thing I would make sure you have a decent laptop first, its more a luxury item that is nice if you can afford it!

Pretty much. It's a good device to have, but it's not a laptop replacement. A lot of the online course material at UQ doesn't work well with iPad, especially the online path pracs.

Pretty much. It's a good device to have, but it's not a laptop replacement. A lot of the online course material at UQ doesn't work well with iPad, especially the online path pracs.

You are correct. It is definitely not a laptop replacement, nor is that it's intent. I've found mine extremely useful for taking notes/pdf markup, reading papers/assignments, and studying (Firecracker, Anki, Picmonic, and several other USMLE prep resources have apps). I do write some papers on it, but I find myself writing more on my laptop. However the continuity between devices is nice to be able to work on either device depending on my needs. With that said, I would not have an ipad pro without a laptop. I use both equally and for different purposes. If you can only buy one or the other, a laptop is more practical IMO.

when's the next application cycle? I think my gpa is too low and the timeline is too late to apply for the program for this cycle. :(

The program has rolling admissions, and from past threads it sounds like they will pull off the waitlist for the following cycle (those waitlisted the 2017 cohort may get offers for the 2018 cohort). Offers begin in May, typically. Based on how many are in the current cohort's Facebook group, I'd posit that this year's class is nearly full. I'd check mededpath's website for precise timelines, but I submitted my application in December or January, interviewed in January, and had an acceptance in May.

I recently purchased an iPad Pro because my mentor recommended I buy it. I just listened. I have no idea how to use it, trying to learn it slowly. I have a PC, rather than a Mac, and I find it easier to use than the ipad. I believe, whether you have a laptop or tablet, you will be able to organize the materials you receive during the program.

Btw, if anyone has suggestions how to become more proficient at using an ipad pro, please let me know haha

Hey guys! I received an acceptance yesterday and I am in the process of filling out the documents needed to accept the offer. When obtaining your own OSHC, which dates did you guys use? Also, are there any policies that you would recommend over others? Or did you just choose based on prices?
I am using the link someone left previously in this thread to compare policy prices and I apologize if my questions have been answered previously in this thread. I appreciate any help!

Hey guys! I received an acceptance yesterday and I am in the process of filling out the documents needed to accept the offer. When obtaining your own OSHC, which dates did you guys use? Also, are there any policies that you would recommend over others? Or did you just choose based on prices?
I am using the link someone left previously in this thread to compare policy prices and I apologize if my questions have been answered previously in this thread. I appreciate any help!

Congrats. Use the dates in your "How to Accept" guide. I don't remember the exact dates, but they do provide those in the guide. You must have coverage for the entire 4 years, and then will be able to apply for a refund for the 2 years you spend in NoLa. I chose NIB because of the price. From my understanding they are all pretty similar.

Congrats. Use the dates in your "How to Accept" guide. I don't remember the exact dates, but they do provide those in the guide. You must have coverage for the entire 4 years, and then will be able to apply for a refund for the 2 years you spend in NoLa. I chose NIB because of the price. From my understanding they are all pretty similar.

Thank you! :) They have the commencement date as Feb 6, 2017, but I noticed that orientation begins on Jan 30. I just wasn't sure if I needed to have the policy begin before orientation, or only before Feb 6.

Thank you! :) They have the commencement date as Feb 6, 2017, but I noticed that orientation begins on Jan 30. I just wasn't sure if I needed to have the policy begin before orientation, or only before Feb 6.

Page 7 of the "How to Accept Guide": Your policy must cover the length of your visa, January 1, 2017 to March 31, 2021, inclusive.

Page 7 of the "How to Accept Guide": Your policy must cover the length of your visa, January 1, 2017 to March 31, 2021, inclusive.

Oh! Thanks again! I don't see that anywhere on the forms I have. I don't think I have received the How to Accept Guide yet. My offer email has documents attached, but it also says that Ms. Hudson will be emailing me information on How to Accept and What to Do Next. I think I may just be getting a little ahead of myself haha. Thanks again for your response!

Hey guys,

so how do I go about calculating my GPA? I saw different equation that someone posted on here before.

If I'm at 2.9 cGPA and 2.8 sGPA and taking MCAT (retake) on January, would late February be too late? I plan on submitting application on January and submit the new MCAT score when it comes out. Or, just submit all after MCAT score.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

so how do I go about calculating my GPA? I saw different equation that someone posted on here before.

If I'm at 2.9 cGPA and 2.8 sGPA and taking MCAT (retake) on January, would late February be too late? I plan on submitting application on January and submit the new MCAT score when it comes out. Or, just submit all after MCAT score.

Thanks!

That's probably too late for the start of the school year. UQ's school year runs from January to November and it looks like this orientation (mandatory) is at the end of January.

Attachments

• 2016 mbbs and md calendar.pdf
    34 KB · Views: 177
That's probably too late for the start of the school year. UQ's school year runs from January to November and it looks like this orientation (mandatory) is at the end of January.

For 2018 cohort?