UQ-Ochsner 2019 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OSHC money doesnt actually go to UQ, it goes to Allianz. Its your premium for 51 months of coverage in Australia. It is possible to get some of that back if you prove to Allianz that you weren't in the country for a large part of that timespan. Otherwise, you won't see the OSHC money refunded.

Youre correct on the deposit, the school considers that as a 3k payment toward your first semester tuition. So if tuition is 33k for the first semester, you would only end up with 30k in loans because the deposit goes toward that.

Members don't see this ad.

Is that your cumulative gpa or did you calculate it using the equation that has been going around? Trying to decide if I should to apply for 2019... but I have not taken the MCAT yet (scheduled for early September) and it'll probably be too late by the time I get my scores back..
That was my cumulative GPA
Actually found out that I got in like a day after I posted that lol
Currently working on getting all my enrollment stuff together!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we need CoE to file FAFSA and learn how much of a loan you can receive? Curious because I'm in a tough spot where I won't receive CoE until December when they see my final college transcripts.

do you all think it would be too late to apply to this program? I have 4.0 gpa/516 mcat and other decent extra-curricular and looking at a few reputable international programs...

do you all think it would be too late to apply to this program? I have 4.0 gpa/516 mcat and other decent extra-curricular and looking at a few reputable international programs...

Any particular reason you're looking for a few reputable international programs? I'm not familiar with the new MCAT scores and what is average/good/excellent. If you apply broadly in the US, unless you have social deficits (e.g. interview poorly) you should get some love in the US, unless you only apply to top-tier schools where it's more of a crapshoot unless you have something exceptional to add to your 4.0/516 to differentiate you from all the other high achieving applicants they get.

Not sure exactly why you are thinking of international Md schools with that stats. Unless you’re genuinely interested or somethings up w your application.

HI all... I am wondering if anyone is interviewing in September?

Hi all- anyone know if taking the September 9th MCAT is too late to be considered for an interview for this cycle? Thanks for your advice.

Hi all- anyone know if taking the September 9th MCAT is too late to be considered for an interview for this cycle? Thanks for your advice.

It might not be too late for an interview this cycle but highly unlikely you would catch an open seat. I believe the last set of interview dates are one weekend in October but there is a high probability the class will be filled by then. Silver lining... if you were able to get everything in and receive an II for the October dates and pass the interview, they will roll your application over to the 2019 application cycle and you would be at the top of the pile. Hope this helps.

Yeah that's way too late. You're better off applying in January for the following cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone from Aug 16/17 please post when you get accepted

There are alternative OSHC companies that all provide the same government mandated coverage but for far cheaper than Allianz. Check out AHM among others.
Yah that part isn't the issue - it's getting the unused component back that people wanted. However, you are right, people should shop around. I didn't, and although it worked out okay for me, there were cheaper alternatives.

Last edited:
Just got my offer from UQ! Interviewed on 8/16 and passed on 8/24.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what your options are if you financial need is higher than the cost of attendance? Would you need to apply for a private loan? If so, does anyone know of any such loans that don't need to be disbursed through the school?

Anyone know the status of open spots for the 2019 cohort? Historically they fill up by mid-late september, but I have my interview on the 27th...

If it does fill up, will I be automatically be considered for the 2020 cohort? If so when can I expect to get a decision?

Hope to see you guys/gals in February if it works out!

Does anyone know what your options are if you financial need is higher than the cost of attendance? Would you need to apply for a private loan? If so, does anyone know of any such loans that don't need to be disbursed through the school?
You get living expenses. I think it's about ~20k-ish AUD per semester while living in Australia.

Just received an Acceptance! I feel incredibly honored

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know the status of open spots for the 2019 cohort? Historically they fill up by mid-late september, but I have my interview on the 27th...

If it does fill up, will I be automatically be considered for the 2020 cohort? If so when can I expect to get a decision?

Call Alex at MedEdPath. I think she can give you a good idea on where you’ll
Stand

Literally what I said - you get living expenses. Why is this an argument? I've literally gotten 4 years of student loans from UQO. Do you want my receipts?

Literally what I said - you get living expenses. Why is this an argument? I've literally gotten 4 years of student loans from UQO. Do you want my receipts?

Calm down. We agree that loans cover living expenses. I was responding to your claim that federal loans would cover beyond COA, which they don’t.

It’s going to be difficult to get loans beyond the COA. Private loans may be an option. I’m not sure why your financial need would be higher than the COA, and any private lender would probably want significant documentation as to why that is the case. Then it would come down to your credit history +/- a co-signer, potentially.

It’s not a financially responsible decision to live beyond your means without having a really good reason (which I’d hope you do), especially when you’re taking out 100s of thousands of dollars in student loans.

On the bright side, the COA I felt was very generous and I didn’t have any problems being comfortable and making ends meet. Most of my classmates with loans were still able to travel, enjoy life, etc.

I spoke with MedEd just last week. They are about 1/2 full but expect to be full by the end of September/mid-October. They said anyone with a September interview should be fine as long as they accept their offer and pay the deposit/health insurance as soon as they receive the offer.

If you do not make the 2019 cohort and have submitted all of your application materials they will roll you over to the 2020 cohort. They include you in the first batch to go over to UQ for consideration. From what I have seen here on SDN that first batch usually starts hearing back in March.

Hope this helps. and hope that we both make it into the 2019 cohort. :)

Thanks! Super helpful. Whitney just got back to me today as well letting me know that my application was timely. Crossing my fingers and looking forward to start the grind.

I spoke with MedEd just last week. They are about 1/2 full but expect to be full by the end of September/mid-October. They said anyone with a September interview should be fine as long as they accept their offer and pay the deposit/health insurance as soon as they receive the offer.

If you do not make the 2019 cohort and have submitted all of your application materials they will roll you over to the 2020 cohort. They include you in the first batch to go over to UQ for consideration. From what I have seen here on SDN that first batch usually starts hearing back in March.

Hope this helps. and hope that we both make it into the 2019 cohort. :)

For those who payed the insurance with credit card... The insurance amount is due in AUD, so when your card was charged, were you actually charged less considering AUD->USD conversion?

Your credit card company will convert AUD to USD usually with a spot exchange rate (+/- any foreign transaction fees and/or currency conversion fees, depending on your company). If the charge is $3000 AUD, and at current exchange rates, it should be a charge somewhere north of $2153 USD based on current rates (Google shows $1 AUD to $ 0.72 USD at the moment).

Which reminds me - if you have a credit card and/or a debit card with no foreign transaction fees, that is ideal for your time over in Australia.

Did anyone else interview last week? I think this wait is going to kill me slowly lol. *fingers and toes crossed

Your credit card company will convert AUD to USD usually with a spot exchange rate (+/- any foreign transaction fees and/or currency conversion fees, depending on your company). If the charge is $3000 AUD, and at current exchange rates, it should be a charge somewhere north of $2153 USD based on current rates (Google shows $1 AUD to $ 0.72 USD at the moment).

Which reminds me - if you have a credit card and/or a debit card with no foreign transaction fees, that is ideal for your time over in Australia.
OK this is the impression I had considering the rates. But when I spoke to one of the representatives at MedEdPath, they believed that your credit card would be charged $3000. So are you telling me you were in fact charged around $2100?

OK this is the impression I had considering the rates. But when I spoke to one of the representatives at MedEdPath, they believed that your credit card would be charged $3000. So are you telling me you were in fact charged around $2100?
You're correct. For me, it was around $2200 (due to a slightly higher than current exchange rate). All in all, deposit + insurance is about $5100-$5200 total.

You're correct. For me, it was around $2200 (due to a slightly higher than current exchange rate). All in all, deposit + insurance is about $5100-$5200 total.
Ok thanks for clearing that up. How’s the end of year 1 finishing up Wolverine?

Can any current students/recent graduates give some pros and cons about this program?

Can any current students/recent graduates give some pros and cons about this program?
I don't mean to be mean, but scour the past threads for graduate input.

From what I've gathered:
Cons:
(-) It's pricey but comparable to Tulane's cost (if you think that's bad, check out USC's dental price tag :uhno:)
(-) Education is meant to teach Aussie docs, so STEP preparation is more self-directed
(-) You'll be an IMG, so ROAD specialties are very unlikely unless you're a world-class superstar
Pros:
(+) Affiliated with Ocshner Health System in Louisiana which gives the program reputability and provides US-rotations during clinical years
(+) UQ is an internationally renowned university/research institution so opportunities for research are there if you seek them
(+) Opportunity to live abroad for two years and learn of Australia's medical system
(+) Grads can apply to NY (IMG-friendly) in the match
(+) Application process appears to be straight-forward and more accepting academically

Ok thanks for clearing that up. How’s the end of year 1 finishing up Wolverine?
The year is wrapping up nicely, I feel like I've gotten the hang of med school life here and am on top of the material and extra prep! feel free to DM me with questions about any of it.
I posted a pretty comprehensive-ish blurb about my experience here if you may find that helpful! It should just be a few pages back. Fingiez list of pros and cons is also something I feel represents this program well.

I don't mean to be mean, but scour the past threads for graduate input.

From what I've gathered:
Cons:
(-) It's pricey but comparable to Tulane's cost (if you think that's bad, check out USC's dental price tag :uhno:)
(-) Education is meant to teach Aussie docs, so STEP preparation is more self-directed
(-) You'll be an IMG, so ROAD specialties are very unlikely unless you're a world-class superstar
Pros:
(+) Affiliated with Ocshner Health System in Louisiana which gives the program reputability and provides US-rotations during clinical years
(+) UQ is an internationally renowned university/research institution so opportunities for research are there if you seek them
(+) Opportunity to live abroad for two years and learn of Australia's medical system
(+) Grads can apply to NY (IMG-friendly) in the match
(+) Application process appears to be straight-forward and more accepting academically

Good list. MS3 here. I would just like to echo that Ochsner itself is a really reputable hospital system with great training programs. It is a great place be a medical student. Also some ROAD specialties aren't as competitive as they once were. Specifically, anesthesiology and radiology are very attainable for a typical UQ-O student who is interested in them.

Look at the match list, there’s been several ROAD matches over the years, especially Rads and Anesthesia. Doubt they were all world class superstars. Probably just had great scores, grades, and letters.

ROAD isn’t what it used to be. I think if you meant to say Neurosurgery, Ortho, Derm, ENT, or Plastics then that would be accurate in that you’d need to be a world class superstar.

Just to add on to previous posts, ophthalmology is still a very difficult specialty to match into for anyone, whether US MD/US DO/US IMG/FMG. It's a smaller specialty where research and connections matter more than most. In the Match presentations our administration has shown us, if you're interested in ophthalmology, our Dean of Student Affairs wants you to speak with him ASAP.

Edit: About the pros & cons, these have been discussed pretty extensively in the multiple Ochsner 20xx threads. If you get in, the ball is in your court as far as becoming a doctor. You'll have to be self-motivated and disciplined to do well in this program. If you need hand-holding, this program is not for you. Also, the program is expensive - no way around that.

Last edited:
ROAD isn’t what it used to be. I think if you meant to say Neurosurgery, Ortho, Derm, ENT, or Plastics then that would be accurate in that you’d need to be a world class superstar.

Right, I forgot about the 2017 match. Maybe NOPED should be the new acronym.

Sent from my SM-P550 using SDN mobile

Yea we have had a ton of anesthesia matches. I would also like to add that radiology is a more self selecting field in that we as students don't get much formal exposure to the field- and most students aren't interested in it. So you need to pursue that interest on your own, to see if its something you want to do. Matching in it isn't as difficult as it once was if you do have that interest.

Obviously as mentioned before ortho, derm, opthal, urology, ENT are very difficult for anyone and connections go a long way with those along with being a very strong student.