UQ-Ochsner 2022 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What town hall? Was this in an email ?šŸ˜°
Yup , it was sent in an email about a week ago schedule for last night

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you guys are referring to the 10am AEST townhall on Wednesday (cos I am not from the UQ-Oschner batch), fret not, you guys didn't miss out much. I think it is what we already know and the school have pretty much the same questions that we keep asking. Sounds like yes they are working with the government to get the current second years in, then first years and us incoming students if there is a flight quota. But they also can't confirm yet subject to vaccination rates and state and federal restrictions.

And again, there is the option to do online learning for the first semester (indicate in your student portal your intent as soon as border regulations are clearer so they can provide the "necessary support").

And other important things to do: apply for VISA soon (cos with the planned borders opening for citizens in Nov, Home Affairs might get busier), get your vaccination certifications (including COVID-19) to submit to the school portal, check your student email often (the school said everyday) and wait patiently šŸ™‚ (ok I added the last point, but yeah lots of other students' questions were still unanswered or couldn't be answered satisfactorily by the school)

They did mention in the townhall invite they will be sending a summary too.

To others who attended the townhall, feel free to add on points I missed.

Reactions: 2 users
There's a town hall for current students tomorrow but I'm guessing it's going to be more of the same. I just want to reiterate that you should get your visa ASAP. A health check is required, and depending on where you live it can be a pain to find a panel physician (for example, if you live anywhere in New England, NYC is the closest panel physician). Definitely best to take care of it now before the semester starts!

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a lot of movement in the Ochsner Facebook group , especially a sign up page for mentor was posted , so check it out if anyone with access haven't done so

There's a lot of movement in the Ochsner Facebook group , especially a sign up page for mentor was posted , so check it out if anyone with access haven't done so
Where is this sign up page supposed to be exactly? I can see there are two different facebook groups, UQ Ochsner Doctor of Medicine and what seems to be an oncoming international student group?

Where is this sign up page supposed to be exactly? I can see there are two different facebook groups, UQ Ochsner Doctor of Medicine and what seems to be an oncoming international student group?
I believe you can click to "Request to Join Group" on their group pages and await one of the admins to admit you in. And yes there are two FB groups, one for the UQ-Oschner MD and the traditional incoming international UQ MD students.

This was in the Ochsner Facebook group. I believe the mentee sign up is only for the US ochsner people.

For those who have completed their visa application, which education sector does this MD program fall under? Is this considered higher education or post-graduate research sector?

For those who have completed their visa application, which education sector does this MD program fall under? Is this considered higher education or post-graduate research sector?
Probably higher education, in Australia the doctor of medicine is technically considered masters level coursework because it's a professional degree and not a true research degree

If we interviewed on October 21st, when would we be likely to hear back? :)

If we interviewed on October 21st, when would we be likely to hear back? :)
@Wolvvs maybe you can answer this question . Tbh , I thought the class was already full / they stop interview people and start process waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Wolvvs maybe you can answer this question . Tbh , I thought the class was already full / they stop interview people and start process waitlist.
I know the UQ international cohort has filled up but I'm less sure about UQ-Ochsner. I haven't seen anyone posting about being on a wait list yet so there could still be space, I really don't know though. Results will probably come out next week, @hopeful108 good luck!!

Thank you! Also for people who interviewed successfully, how did you feel about the interview? I feel like I got my points across, but I'm worried because there were some awkward pauses and stutters at times. I'm hoping they wouldn't be counted negatively against me considering that it wasn't really a back and forth conversation.

Thank you! Also for people who interviewed successfully, how did you feel about the interview? I feel like I got my points across, but I'm worried because there were some awkward pauses and stutters at times. I'm hoping they wouldn't be counted negatively against me considering that it wasn't really a back and forth conversation.
I share the same sentiments as you. I felt that I gave my best thought-out answers for 2-3 stations and the rest of the stations, I felt like I rambled without a well-defined structure and organization. And for me, I tend to ramble to fill up the awkward silence. And yeah I had the same concern as you too about MMI not being like a traditional interview which feels like a conversation. As long as you gave a balanced answer and answered the questions to the point, you'll be in a good position.

I share the same sentiments as you. I felt that I gave my best thought-out answers for 2-3 stations and the rest of the stations, I felt like I rambled without a well-defined structure and organization. And for me, I tend to ramble to fill up the awkward silence. And yeah I had the same concern as you too about MMI not being like a traditional interview which feels like a conversation. As long as you gave a balanced answer and answered the questions to the point, you'll be in a good position.
I interviewed last year so I don't know if things have changed, but for my interview the interviewers weren't allowed to engage with you at all beyond putting up the question, so I felt awkward at every single station. Still managed to get in though XD

Reactions: 1 users
The basic things to know about this program are two-fold:

1) A large percentage are held back after year 2 for failing the Step 1 class (15-20%?). A much smaller percentage (probably comparable to US schools) are held back during for failing something in Year 1, and M3s who fail a rotation can still graduate on time by repeating what they failed next year. Those held back from failing the USMLE class - taken second semester of year 2 - are not really disadvantaged by the school's actions. These students failed a Step 1 equivalent test twice - right around the time they would have taken the real thing. So the school essentially saves them from having a Step 1 fail as part of their official residency application.

2) Regardless, those who get their degree almost certainly match, at least somewhere - higher than the US MD average rate last year. This includes those who were held back for not passing the Step 1 equivalent and took 5 years to get their degree. So if you manage to graduate, you're almost certain to become a US doctor. Even if you have red flags like having to repeat classes or taking extra time to graduate.

The reality is that it is simply easier to get into this school and so the average quality of the student is lower (MCAT correlates very well with Step 1). You have basically the entirety of the second half of year 2 to focus on Step 1. That said, most Ochsner students are on par with their US school peer equivalents and end up getting through things with the same challenges and vigor of their onshore equivalents. I don't know why the Ochsner match rate is so high, but for now it is what it is. I think the advisors - upon returning to the US during years 3 and 4 - do a good job in navigating students toward residency programs that are within their grasp.

Preclinical med school is basically what you make of it. Everyone uses the same online resources and how well you do depends on how well you study. Years 3 and 4 give you a similar experience to a US MD school.

That said, I don't know the ultimate attrition rate. But again, those who stick through it - even in the midst of failure - almost certainly come out the other side as US doctors. Most who struggle with the Step 1 component succesfully finish with the extra year from what I've seen.
This was extremely helpful. Thank you for sharing. When students get held back for failing the Step 1 class, do they repeat the class and do research for a year before taking the USMLE? What is the big difference (study habits, background knowledge, etc) between those who pass and those who fail the class?

This requirement to pass Step 1 is newish - started after I finished. However, this is part of the OCS requirement (I guess?). If you pass your MS2 year, you pass. You are just delayed starting your MS3 rotations. There is no reason they would have you repeat your MS2 classes... you've passed them. Also step 1 has plenty of test dates throughout the year, it's not once and done per year. Just take it 2-3 months later, and start one rotation off.

Does anyone have an estimate of how many people they generally pull off of the waitlist?

Does anyone have an estimate of how many people they generally pull off of the waitlist?
It's probably quite variable. Last year, nearly everyone in my interview cohort was initially waitlisted and then pulled off the waitlist months later. Did you hear anything yet or were you just wondering?

I was just wondering! Trying to prepare for every possibility lol

I got accepted off the waitlist today and accepted the offer! Super excited to start and meet everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Congrats @Axecute! I was just waitlisted from the October interview, hoping for a similar outcome!
What was the date that those who were accepted have to commit by?
Trying to get some sort of timeline.

Congrats @Axecute! I was just waitlisted from the October interview, hoping for a similar outcome!
What was the date that those who were accepted have to commit by?
Trying to get some sort of timeline.
Hey, thanks! I think they give people 21 days to accept the offer, so for me that date was November 30th. Good luck!

@Axecute now that you are accepted, start your VISA application ASAP!!!!! It is Nov, a lot of doc will go on vaca in Dec and you need that health check to finish the visa app. Start It now!!!, lmk if you have any question on it. I'll try my best to help you.

@Axecute now that you are accepted, start your VISA application ASAP!!!!! It is Nov, a lot of doc will go on vaca in Dec and you need that health check to finish the visa app. Start It now!!!, lmk if you have any question on it. I'll try my best to help you.
Okay! Iā€™ll do it as soon as I receive my COE! Thanks!

I submitted my visa subclass 500 and got granted but never asked about health check up? Where was that?

@medhopefullz you sure it got granted or they gave you the submit notification?. I'm for sure right as you finish submit pay and everything, they ask for a health check. You would then have to print out a health check ID and bring it to your Visa doc for it to be verify and uploaded in order for the Visa to be complete. This was my process though, I'm not sure if others are the same but I would double check the Visa again. Make sure it's granted until 2026 ( we have to come back Aus in 4th year to do away rotation)

@medhopefullz you sure it got granted or they gave you the submit notification?. I'm for sure right as you finish submit pay and everything, they ask for a health check. You would then have to print out a health check ID and bring it to your Visa doc for it to be verify and uploaded in order for the Visa to be complete. This was my process though, I'm not sure if others are the same but I would double check the Visa again. Make sure it's granted until 2026 ( we have to come back Aus in 4th year to do away rotation)
I submitted my visa and then literally 5 min later I got an email saying the "notification" as you mention but then seconds later another email saying I got granted. I verified this with the UQ people when I recently received a new updated CoE (which was newly issued due to a price change). So I'm kind of confused. I checked back to the IMMI account and it also says VISA granted. It was subclass 500, did I apply for the wrong one?

Yup! It was granted until march 2026.

I submitted my visa and then literally 5 min later I got an email saying the "notification" as you mention but then seconds later another email saying I got granted. I verified this with the UQ people when I recently received a new updated CoE (which was newly issued due to a price change). So I'm kind of confused. I checked back to the IMMI account and it also says VISA granted. It was subclass 500, did I apply for the wrong one?

Yup! It was granted until march 2026.
then you are good. Did you travel somewhere recently? (with in this year?) cause maybe the health check for that visa also apply for this Aus visa health check. But Tbh, you luck out if you didn't have to do the health check because it would have cost 400+$.

thatā€™s strange because yeah I was recently granted a visa but only after I completed my health exam.

Thanks guys! very interesting... I don't know what happened to be honest. I haven't traveled anywhere for the past 3 years- out of country. I know there was a question on the application that read:

Has this applicant undertaken a health examination for an Australian visa in the last 12 months?
Which I said No to.

So checked back on their website if the health check for applicants was necessary- which wasn't the case. I'll reach out to the Dept. Home Affairs and see what's going on.

Thanks guys! very interesting... I don't know what happened to be honest. I haven't traveled anywhere for the past 3 years- out of country. I know there was a question on the application that read:

Has this applicant undertaken a health examination for an Australian visa in the last 12 months?
Which I said No to.

So checked back on their website if the health check for applicants was necessary- which wasn't the case. I'll reach out to the Dept. Home Affairs and see what's going on.
The website does show that "15 years old or older and intend to work as (or study to be) a doctor, dentist, nurse or paramedic" needs the tests.
It could just be whoever is processing your visa.

The website does show that "15 years old or older and intend to work as (or study to be) a doctor, dentist, nurse or paramedic" needs the tests.
It could just be whoever is processing your visa.
Ok, thanks this is really helpful! That is very weird- I'm going to confirm with them anyway just to be on the safe side.

Thank you guys so much!

I accepted the offer, but don't we have to receive the CoE for it to be official and for us to start the visa process?
Is there a chance we won't get that if spots fill up?

I accepted the offer, but don't we have to receive the CoE for it to be official and for us to start the visa process?
Is there a chance we won't get that if spots fill up?
Ya, gotta wait for the COE and yup , not to scare you but ya until COE is in hand , spots can still fill up ......so you gotta pay that deposits asap :(

@BLTCOOL we can't pay the deposit until we get the CoE right, I don't think I've seen the option to do so?
Thanks for letting me know, I'm definitely nervous about that :oops:

@BLTCOOL we can't pay the deposit until we get the CoE right, I don't think I've seen the option to do so?
Thanks for letting me know, I'm definitely nervous about that :oops:
Did you get an offer letter? Take a look at the offer letter as it should contain instructions for accepting the offer and paying your deposit. You will not get a CoE until you pay a deposit.

Got pulled off the waitlist early this morning! I was in the last round of interviews last month. How long does it take to get the visa and along with everything else? I haven't looked into all of the things we have to do before we go because I did not expect at all to get pulled off the waitlist this late.

• Love
Did you get an offer letter? Take a look at the offer letter as it should contain instructions for accepting the offer and paying your deposit. You will not get a CoE until you pay a deposit.
So apparently we accept the offer and then we have to wait for a confirmation of a seat being available, and then we will get the invoice to pay the deposit. Then we will get the CoE. Looks like the procedure changed a bit from when you guys did it!

Got it, that's a bit of a strange and unnecessarily stressful process IMO... Hopefully everything works out! I think it will, I doubt they've got a massive competitive waitlist but still best to send in stuff ASAP.

Is anyone else on the "place waitlist" after accepting their offer? :cryi:

news for anyone that did not attend the recent seminar. UQ confirm that year 1 student, commencing 2022, will be IN PERSON and NOT ONLINE.

We are officially in person people! Iā€™m so excited šŸ˜Š

Just making sure, we still have to do that 14 day quarantine and everything right?