UQ Ochsner vs. TouroCOM-Harlem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MateoGM416

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got pulled off the waitlist yesterday for UQ-Ochsner Clinical School and I have 7 days (now 6) to give them an answer. I also have an acceptance from Touro-COM-NY at their Harlem campus which I must let them know (or pay the deposit) by December 15. Right now, these are my top two choices and I am anxious to see what other people on this forum think would be best. I'm not sure what specialty I want to do but I want to keep my options open, as general surgery or anesthesiology seems dope to me but I also wouldn't mind being a primary care physician too.

Ochsner
Pros
  • Australia for the first two years (awesome)
  • MD
  • More competitive for more competitive specialties? Again, I'm not sure what specialty I want to pursue.
  • More exposure to international medicine

Cons
  • IMG, apparently this is bad
  • I would start in February and I honestly feel like I need another few months to recharge (I graduated from undergrad in May)
  • 67k per year, for profit
  • Far from home, I imagine it would be a difficult adjustment

Touro COM NY - Harlem
Pros
  • New York City (also cool as heck)
  • 100% match rate, many into competitive specialties
  • For me I personally like the flipped classroom model, I learn better on my own pace
  • US
  • I wouldn't start until June which would give me more time to have fun before my life sucks

Cons
  • DO, not that there is any disadvantage at all training wise, just harder to match competitive specialties according to SDN, and of course overcoming the stigma will be annoying in my career
  • Not cheap either

Thanks in advance. I don't want this thread to be another DO vs. MD thread, I would appreciate it if you answered like there's a kid on the opposite side of your screen who is about to make the most important decision of his life so far. Also, PLEASE correct if any of my information is incorrect.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also, the quality of match rates look somewhat comparable...but I also have no idea what I'm looking at or what I'm doing.

Last edited:
I would honestly just do Touro to avoid the headache if you’d like to practice in the US. Sounds like a lot to move to Australia and then have to match back as an IMG, which will give you far less flexibility on specialities in general than a US MD/DO.

Whatever stigma there is for DO is probably much worse for foreign schools by residency directors. I don’t see any real benefits for UQ, so it doesn’t seem like an appealing option IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
I would honestly just do Touro to avoid the headache if you’d like to practice in the US. Sounds like a lot to move to Australia and then have to match back as an IMG, which will give you far less flexibility on specialities in general than a US MD/DO.

Whatever stigma there is for DO is probably much worse for foreign schools by residency directors. I don’t see any real benefits for UQ, so it doesn’t seem like an appealing option IMO.
Thanks for the advice. The school definitely doesn't market that graduates are considered IMG's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to chime in. I currently walk by the Tuoro campus everyday and it is TINY (literally tucked in between store fronts and is in the middle of a mall). Also NYC is sick, but Harlem itself is still kind of unsafe, and has a host of its own issues. If you want to live very close to campus I'd just keep that in mind and prob live further south. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of these things so you're informed. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to chime in. I currently walk by the Tuoro campus everyday and it is TINY (literally tucked in between store fronts and is in the middle of a mall). Also NYC is sick, but Harlem itself is still kind of unsafe, and has a host of its own issues. If you want to live very close to campus I'd just keep that in mind and prob live further south. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of these things so you're informed. Best of luck!
Thank you! I ended up putting a deposit down for Touro, but I also have other acceptances which are enticing as well.