UQ-Oschner program for an Australian+American citizen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doodlewang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really looking for anyone who could help me with finding more information about this program. Perhaps if anyone is in the same situation as me. I have emailed the contact listed on the programs website but I have not received a reply since I emailed them 4 days ago.

This program is my dream program. This would change my life forever if I could get into it. This is because I am stuck in this ****ty grey area because I am an American who is looking to become a doctor in America but I have an Australian degree.

I cannot go to Australian schools because I would no be able to do my electives or reliably land a desirable residency back home and I cannot apply to American medical schools because of my Australian degree and required courses.

I am stuck in this horrible area where I pretty much have to go to Europe for med school and cross my fingers that I land a residency or start all over with a 4 year degree in America.

But then I have found this program where I feel like my problems could have been answered, but I do not know the little details which really concern me.

Will my Australian GPA be counted as its an Australian school?
Can I use the Australian GAMSAT to apply?
Can I use my Australian degree to apply to this Australian school?
Will I need to satisfy the American schools admission requirements or Australians?
Can I apply as a duel citizen??

I am more then willing to denounce my Australian citizenship if it means I can go to school here. That is how desperate I am to get into this program.
If anyone could answer any of these for me I would be REALLY grateful.

Members don't see this ad.

Try phoning UQ's medical admissions in Brisbane.

You won't need to denounce citizenship, as the requirement is simply that you're an American.

Not sure about GAMSAT vs. MCAT. They don't care about what your degree is in (no prerequesites), so I'm confident they won't care if you have an Australian one. GPA conversion/comparison is a simple matter for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it helps I know that there are a couple students in this years class that completed their undergrad in Canada and are Canadian/US dual citizens.

I am really looking for anyone who could help me with finding more information about this program. Perhaps if anyone is in the same situation as me. I have emailed the contact listed on the programs website but I have not received a reply since I emailed them 4 days ago.

This program is my dream program. This would change my life forever if I could get into it. This is because I am stuck in this ****** grey area because I am an American who is looking to become a doctor in America but I have an Australian degree.

I cannot go to Australian schools because I would no be able to do my electives or reliably land a desirable residency back home and I cannot apply to American medical schools because of my Australian degree and required courses.

I am stuck in this horrible area where I pretty much have to go to Europe for med school and cross my fingers that I land a residency or start all over with a 4 year degree in America.

But then I have found this program where I feel like my problems could have been answered, but I do not know the little details which really concern me.

Will my Australian GPA be counted as its an Australian school?
Can I use the Australian GAMSAT to apply?
Can I use my Australian degree to apply to this Australian school?
Will I need to satisfy the American schools admission requirements or Australians?
Can I apply as a duel citizen??

I am more then willing to denounce my Australian citizenship if it means I can go to school here. That is how desperate I am to get into this program.
If anyone could answer any of these for me I would be REALLY grateful.

Hello,

Go to the following web site: http://www.mededpath.org/. Listen to the Application webinars. It tells you that as long as you are an American you can have a Bachelors degree from anywhere in the world. You will have to meet the 2.67 undergrad GPA and 24 MCAT to apply to UQ Ochsner. The webinars are very informative. Their contact info is listed on the website. It will be a better use of your time if you direct your questions to them since they handle the admission process for Oschner students.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

I too am a dual citizen. I enquired about this with UQ a few years ago. I was told australian residents/citizens are ineligible. You could only complete the standard UQ program in QLD.

However, you seem to be making a lot of erroneous assumptions. First, you could get a residency in the US having completed pretty much any medical program in Aus. Yes, the oschner programs is likely to help given the US training it provides but many students at other med schools have gone on to work in the US.

Secondly, having an Australian degree does not mean you would have to do a 4 year bachelors in the US to get into a US med school. Generally requirements are that you have completed at least 3 years of university study and have completed the prereqs. Some schools may require all 3 years be at a US institution but that would not be common. Most would like to see your prereqs done in the US but even this is not universal. I did undergrad in the US and am now in Sydney. I only completed 1 semester of physics and emailed one US school if I could take the 2nd semester at an Australian university. They said that would be fine.

If you enrol in a in US degree or just as a non-degree student, complete all the prereqs and nothing else, you should be fine. I have met an Indian guy with a degree from India who did all his orereqs at the Harvard Extension School then got invited to interview at like 15 US med schools.