UQ (traditional MD) 2021 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zexalin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I couldn’t find a thread for this. Just wondering who else has applied/applying/accepted/or planning to pursue an MD at UQ for this January 2021.

I’m from Toronto and I’ve accepted and confirmed my confirmation of enrollment for this January, although it’s still up in the air for me if I’ll actually be going.

Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! Recently received a conditional offer but still need to write my MCAT. If all goes well I will very likely be attending.

Look forward to meeting you and being classmates if you decide to go!

Also, did you apply to any other Aus schools @Zexalin?

Wow congrats guys. How long did the whole process take you guys? I just applied last week before the second round deadline, and still waiting to hear back.
Would it be more competitive in the second round?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also recieved a conditional offer since I still had to submit my final transcript due to some delays but ya hoping to get an unconditional offer soon pay the deposit and get a coe. Is anyone here planning to apply to the states for residency? Main reason for attending UQ is the international connections and large amount of rotations!

Hey! Recently received a conditional offer but still need to write my MCAT. If all goes well I will very likely be attending.

Look forward to meeting you and being classmates if you decide to go!

Also, did you apply to any other Aus schools @Zexalin?

I look forward to it too!

I applied to Syd and Mel as well, but UQ was my number one so I’ve accepted. FYI though, from my understanding, once you apply for an Australian visa with a specific school, it’s apparently hard to change it to a different one later on if you’d like to accept another school.

Wow congrats guys. How long did the whole process take you guys? I just applied last week before the second round deadline, and still waiting to hear back.
Would it be more competitive in the second round?

I think I submitted my application around beginning of June and got my offer end of July. I have no idea if it’d be more competitive, but I’d assume it might be as spots are filled up as the process runs along. This is just me being purely speculative tho.

I also recieved a conditional offer since I still had to submit my final transcript due to some delays but ya hoping to get an unconditional offer soon pay the deposit and get a coe. Is anyone here planning to apply to the states for residency? Main reason for attending UQ is the international connections and large amount of rotations!

Awesome. Yes I am too. I’m planning on keeping my options open and applying to both Canadian and US residencies. We’ll see what happens I guess. Yes I’ve heard how great the clerkship flexibility is. Although I’m kinda skeptical about this. In theory it’s great, but how is it actually like practically (ie. how receptive is UQ in handling the administrative stuff in a timely fashion when you’re tryna rush through deadlines arranging rotations abroad, etc.) Have you heard anything about this?

I’ve heard it’s a bit difficult but then again going abroad always is I checked LinkedIn tho and found a bunch of Canadians who were doing residency in the US after UQ

Yea I mean at least that’s good news. UQ students definitely seem to be around the place. I’ve been in contact with someone at the school asking about exact numbers for matches of the students so we’ll see if we can get this. It would be really telling

Actually since @roadtoMD97 asked me about other Aus schools, I’m actually torn between UQ and USyd now. I guess only time will tell.

@TheIndianHustler do you know how many rotations we actually have at UQ?

Actually since @roadtoMD97 asked me about other Aus schools, I’m actually torn between UQ and USyd now. I guess only time will tell.

USyd is a great choice too! I actually know a couple of people that are attending school there right now and they seem to be enjoying it. Unfortunately, I couldn't apply this round because my MCAT sit date is past their deadline. Have they started sending interview invites yet?

USyd is a great choice too! I actually know a couple of people that are attending school there right now and they seem to be enjoying it. Unfortunately, I couldn't apply this round because my MCAT sit date is past their deadline. Have they started sending interview invites yet?

That’s dope. Are they from your undergrad school?

Ah that’s okay. Apparently they won’t be doing interviews this year because of COVID, so they’re only banking applicants on MCAT. They should be coming September 14 I’ve heard

Ah that’s okay. Apparently they won’t be doing interviews this year because of COVID, so they’re only banking applicants on MCAT. They should be coming September 14 I’ve heard

Yes, they are from my undergrad school! USyd seems really popular from what I've seen.

Congratulation on your UQ offer! Would you mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)

I believe in total 18-24 but UQ allows for optional rotations basically you do them at your own time NY statehas a rule where if you do more than 12 weeks outside of the country of ur med school ur withdrawn from matching in NY but UQ is an exception to this so although uSyd also allows 24ish I believe u can only do 12 if u wanna apply to NY state which I plan on doing since I have family there.

We’ve made a UQ fb chat if anyone’s interested message me your fb name

I have read the forum for the 2019 entry. One member said he/she got the offer in 2018 but waited 6 weeks before accepting the offer since he/she wanted to see results from other schools, and the offer became a waitlist. Did this happen last year after the introduction of the interview in 2019?

Seems all the places are filled now. Let's see if anyone would withdraw the offer and take other uni:)

Seems all the places are filled now. Let's see if anyone would withdraw the offer and take other uni:)
Hi, just wondering how you know the places are filled? My husband interviewed on the 17th and hasn't heard anything back yet. Thanks

How do you know all the places are filled? Where did you get this information?
According to the one i talk with, he has accepted the offer and is going to pay. But the school told him no places are available so he is waiting now. It's not unexpected since the offers that Uq releases exceed the number of available places.

Has anyone that interviewed in the last round of MMIs (Nov 17th) heard back?

I interviewed on the 17th. Complete silence for me.
Probably you would need to apply next year since few of my fd got an offer in third round but they are put in waitlist since all places are filed very early.

Has anyone that interviewed in the last round of MMIs (Nov 17th) heard back?
Just heard back this afternoon, and got waitlisted. Kind of expected it since the class filled up in Nov.