Army UQR Separation but command transfer on DD214?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received my ETS orders, which already have one glaring mistake I have to waste time getting corrected. On the DD214 draft, I noticed in box 9 titled, "COMMAND TO WHICH TRANSFERRED", there's actually something in it. It's, "USAR CON GP (REINF)".

Should this box not be empty since I'm separating with a UQR and have zero reserve obligation after? Or is this just Army administrative nonsense and meaningless?

Members don't see this ad.

That means they are putting you in IRR. Are you sure that you don't have any reserve committment remaining on MSO? They don't count medical school- even though you were in IRR. Residency ?4+payback must = 8 years.

There will also be verbiage in there about "UQR is dependent on Officer's acceptance of a reserve commission" and they will make you get that commission paperwork before you separate. If that language is absent this is probably a clerical error.

- ex 61N

That means they are putting you in IRR. Are you sure that you don't have any reserve committment remaining on MSO? They don't count medical school- even though you were in IRR. Residency ?4+payback must = 8 years.

There will also be verbiage in there about "UQR is dependent on Officer's acceptance of a reserve commission" and they will make you get that commission paperwork before you separate. If that language is absent this is probably a clerical error.

- ex 61N

Yes, I am absolutely sure I have no IRR obligation. My total active service is even listed as 9 years on the 214. There also is no such verbiage that I can find. My original approved UQR also specifically stated that I do not have any remaining reserve obligation

Members don't see this ad :)

- ex 61N

So, they sent me a corrected DD214 with some other more minor stuff fixed, however on the, "corrected", version, the remark section now has the exact phrase you reference in your post; the original version did not have any such thing. This is becoming an obnoxious pain in the ***

Before 2005, most active duty MC officers still held Reserve (vs Regular Army) commissions if they were separating as a CPT or MAJ. As such, you were automatically in the IRR when you separated unless you took the initiative to resign your commission.

Now, i wouldn't be surprised that if you don't resign your commission, you just 'accepted' a reserve commission.

Everyone has a reserve commission unless you augmented.

Everyone has a reserve commission unless you augmented.

Not sure what 'augmented' means in your statement.

Since 2005, AD are commissioned as Regular Army, not USAR

From the link.

"All new officers going on active duty will be commissioned Regular Army beginning May 1. Beginning late this summer, the Army will start changing the U.S. Army Reserve commissions of officers currently in the active component to RA commissions, a G1 official said. He said the process of converting USAR commissions to RA should be completed by May 2006.

During the past decade, officers did not receive RA commissions until they reached the rank of major. Since 1996, even cadets graduating from the academy at West Point, N.Y., received USAR commissions. The Defense Science Board last year recommended a change in policy and the Army is now adopting a “One Active Army, One Commission†theme, said Col. Mark Patterson, Officer Division chief in the Directorate of Military Personnel Management, G1.

Only officers going to reserve-component units will continue to receive USAR commissions, Patterson said."

Well, I'm behind times.

Before 2005, most active duty MC officers still held Reserve (vs Regular Army) commissions if they were separating as a CPT or MAJ. As such, you were automatically in the IRR when you separated unless you took the initiative to resign your commission.

Now, i wouldn't be surprised that if you don't resign your commission, you just 'accepted' a reserve commission.

Other than requesting a UQR for separation and all the stuff involved with it, anything else I need to specifically do in order to resign my commission? I was pretty sure that's what a UQR actually does.

Other than requesting a UQR for separation and all the stuff involved with it, anything else I need to specifically do in order to resign my commission? I was pretty sure that's what a UQR actually does.

No idea really, but SGT Google says a letter of resignation is to be submitted to your command.
But that seems to only apply to reserve officers, per HRC.

Just talk to your S1, haha! Isn't that always the 'answer'.

good luck

You don't need to resign your commission. Just get super fat and out of shape when you finish your ADSO. Develop a few DQ medical conditions. Problem solved without the paperwork

Reactions: 1 user